Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Walk Ride GM  (Read 3867 times)

CTCREP

Re: Walk Ride GM
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »
The results are in for the Survey on how the WakRideGM scheme is progressing.  It can be seen at

https://mailchi.mp/06f3b8372f5c/walkridegmresultsofsurveyonstateofplayonwalkingandcycling?e=9c3c143a3c

It is well worth reading.    Basically 60% of those who replied felt the scheme was not progressing as it should, There are reports from the various Boroughs, but WalkRideGM is still awaiting a Council plan for Stockport.

CTCREP

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »

Hello, here is the latest news from WalkRideGM

https://mailchi.mp/2759b7919ab7/join-our-safestreets-campaign-urgent-call-to-action-news-on-more-space-for-walking-and-cycling-5982111?e=9c3c143a3c

If you scroll down to the Stockport input you will see

Stockport Town Centre Package (previously announced)
   •   A series of physical interventions that will create a pedestrian and cyclist friendly environment in the historic marketplace and surrounding streets in Stockport town centre. The proposals will also help to support the regeneration of the area that also includes the much-loved Underbanks.

Unfortunately there is no suggestion on how you can walk or cycle to the Underbanks in any form of convenience and safety, and certainly not from Marple.

We have a WalkRideMarple section but it is a Private Group on Facebook which you have to join.   I have taken the liberty to suggest their thoughts should be made more visible because this project is really important.  Climate Change means we have to change our means of transport.  Yes we can change our diesel and petrol cars for electric ones, but that brings up other problems.  Providing properly designed and consructed cycle lanes and paths costs relatively little and has many benefits. This cannot be left to the current attitudes of our Council which is to only follow their own misguided ideas, and to ignore the wishes of those who will be affected by the Council's decisions.

CTCREP

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
As you know. Greater Manchester has a Cycling and Walking Scheme called WalkRideGM aimed at encouraging more people to cycle or walk instead of using a car. 

I suppose we should be really pleased that they have been given an award for an innovative approach to tackling a dangerous junction. See

Pity they didn’t start thinking like this 50 years ago when several European countries realised they needed to cater for cyclists and walkers.

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 04:32:19 PM »
Five out of six walk/ride schemes put forward for walking and cycling funding in Stockport did not meet government criteria:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/five-six-schemes-put-forward-19372255

Is this Stockport being well-meaning but out of their depth? For me, it sounds utterly incompetent.

It does sound high.  But I'd be interested to know what the ratio is for other councils before judging.  And how well the criteria they were judged against, were written. 

nbt

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
Stockport council do not care about people on bikes and seem to actively discourage cycle travel from what I can see of their actions
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Howard

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »
Five out of six walk/ride schemes put forward for walking and cycling funding in Stockport did not meet government criteria:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/five-six-schemes-put-forward-19372255

Is this Stockport being well-meaning but out of their depth? For me, it sounds utterly incompetent.

CTCREP

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
There is an Official survey on WalkRide GM here.

https://mailchi.mp/3f997591d6fd/join-our-safestreets-campaign-urgent-call-to-action-news-on-more-space-for-walking-and-cycling-5977719?e=9c3c143a3c

Please complete the survey if you hope to have any chance of better walking and cycling conditions in Stockport.

wheels

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
Don was always a hard working committed officer who served the authority well, he will certainly be a loss.

His comments are particularly interesting given the current colour of the town hall administration.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »
It would appear that we're not the only people who have an issue with Stockport Councils approach to Cycling and Walking provision...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/former-chief-calls-town-hall-18977001

Their 'cycling chief' has resigned in frustration at the inactivity* asking local officers to upscale their ambitions for the borough. Perhaps he got sick of all the barriers they were putting up!

* depending on who you speak to he may also have taken early retirement.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 05:05:27 PM »
I’m familiar with that stretch of bridleway and I think the council have done an excellent job improving the surface. The barrier is there (as CTREP will surely know) to deter motorbikes - we do have a problem round here with people illegally riding motorbikes on bridleways. Lifting a pedal bike across the barrier, or a child’s buggy, should not be a problem. It’s difficult to see how motorbikes could be deterred without some kind of barrier like that.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »

andy+kirsty

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 03:13:34 PM »
Whilst i haven't seen the barrier in person.

The picture would appear to show the type which prevents vehicles, whilst allowing horses to walk over them and bicycles to be lifted over easily.

Yes, the same as the one in Chadkirk on the Alan Newton Way. And as someone who rides a cargo bike it is an absolute bu**er. (as it is for anyone in a wheelchair etc)

This one is at the request of the farmer / landowner, the other end of the track isn't restricted in any real way.

GM

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
Whilst i haven't seen the barrier in person.

The picture would appear to show the type which prevents vehicles, whilst allowing horses to walk over them and bicycles to be lifted over easily.

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the link to the excellent description of the situation of the Windybottom Farm to Strines Statton Bridleway. I would be the first to applaud the upgrade and possibility of extending it back to Marple Bridge. However, one problem, why did the Council decide to upgrade the Bridleway when only Horseriders can use it?  Surely they discussed the issue of it being available to cyclists and pedestrians who are equally eligible to use it  - try lifting a child filled pushchair over that bar, or even dealing with a group of junior cyclists.

Further in your article you say. "On another thread I've outlined what I think could be done and it starts with improving links between our housing estates, schools and rail stations".This is my very argument about improving the link between Compstall and Marple which SMBC simply refuse to do regardless of the wishes of the Government.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
I think the key point is in your second paragraph  that  the footpath at from Windy Bottom Far and Strines Station is indeed a Footpath,  actually a very well used footpath and one you on a pedal cycle are not meant to be cycling along and thus should be barred from using it. You now seem to be criticising the Council for doing the right thing.

As for Rolling Lane as you have been given the answer many times obsessed is a word that comes to mind.

The improvements mentioned are to a bridleway - so it can be used by a bicycle, and I do. It was also wholly paid for by a flood relief fund and didn't cost us a penny. The barrier you took a picture of will be removed once a final section of the works has been completed.

Look, you'll know I'm a mega advocate for cycling and cycling infrastructure that benefits everyone - even car drivers. But we need to get our facts straight. Stockport has failed miserably when it comes to infrastructure, only 1 scheme was recently funded through an active travel fund as all the other designs didn't meet the minimum floor standards. Other LAs in Greater Manchester bagged millions in funding.

On another thread I've outlined what I think could be done and it starts with improving links between our housing estates, schools and rail stations. All cheap, all easily do-able. They would cater for many more people than any country bridleway. Giving cyclists dedicated space reduces the conflict between them and other road users.

https://www.peaksandpuddles.com/blog/2020/09/09/flood-damaged-strines-to-roman-lakes-bridleway-given-flexipave-fix/