Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Proposed Covid-19 test station. Trinity Street / Chadwick Street car park.  (Read 5767 times)

amazon

Hi All,

First post on here so be nice :-)

It has come to the attention of residents of Chadwick Street that there is a proposal to open a "temporary" Covid-19 testing station on the site of Trinity Street/Chadwick street car park. The proposed location will be outside the Carver Theatre.

The initial site was to be at Derby way car park but I believe this has been met with staunch resistance and the council are now looking at a new site at the Carver. I have been informed that they are hoping to open this as soon as the 7th November 2020.

There has been no consultation with local residents, and the council seem to have assumed that it's a given right that they will open a testing station here. Along with the increasing frequency of masks being dropped on the floor which local residents have been picking up, the extra traffic generated will cause chaos not just to the residents of Chadwick Street, but the centre of Marple as a whole.

It may have bypassed the attention of the council but Chadwick Street has some sheltered housing for the elderly, and potentially seeing the increase of traffic, mask wearers and a general increase of the number of people on this road could cause them concern and unwarranted stress.

There is also the fact that Marple sorting office is on this site, where postal workers collect the mail that is delivered to your house every day and this is a site that you have to visit if you miss a parcel that you are expecting. I'm sure you appreciate that if there is a testing centre on this site then potentially you and postal workers have more chance of coming into contact with someone that has covid-19 and a small chance of it being transferred and being spread via the mail that comes through your door.

I urge all with concerns to contact hayley.taylor-cox@stockport.gov.uk (0161 474 2452 / 07800 618569) and marie.omalley@stockport.gov.uk (011 474 2496 / 07800 618570) to get them to reconsider using Chadwick Street as a testing site.

Regards.

So were do you sugest it would be ideal for people with no cars like me if i ever have to go if it saves lives then its better still stop being negative we are in a serius situation .

Victor M

I think this is going to be a walk in only facility. If it follows the same process as the Brinnington site then you will have to make a timed appointment. The test centre will be unable carry out a test on people who have not pre-booked an appointment. see https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/new-walk-in-covid-19-testing-site-to-open-in-brinnington

andrewbowden

Somehow I doubt this will cause chaos wherever it is.  Hyde has one in the town centre car park.  It's a tiny facility.  Couple of gazebos, that's about it.

Derby Way does seem like a better place but seriously, we won't be getting thousands of people descending on Marple.

Having been for a Covid-19 test myself, you are told very clearly that if you have symptoms you MUST - ABSOLUTELY MUST - wear a mask at ALL TIMES when leaving your house to get tested.  No taking them off.  No dropping them. No breathing on elderly residents.

Please also remember that a sizeable proportion of people have this virus and have no symptoms.  You need to keep your distance from everyone - not just people at a testing centre.

andrewbowden

Surely it would be a better idea to have it on derby street as a drive through arrangement, maybe with a portacabin on the corner ?.

Or better still use the recycling centres for drive through testing locations?. The council already own the sites and nobody is going to gather in groups at a smelly recycling centre!.

But what would we all do with our recycling?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Surely it would be a better idea to have it on derby street as a drive through arrangement, maybe with a portacabin on the corner ?.

On the face of it Derby Way does seem a better location as you could close the car park to all other traffic and it would then be better contained.

How did objectors manage to get it changed so quickly?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

GM

Or better still use the recycling centres for drive through testing locations?. The council already own the sites and nobody is going to gather in groups at a smelly recycling centre!.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Interesting. I'm not sure what I think about it either at the moment.

Where did the staunch resistance come from that shifted from the Derby Way Car Park on 27 October to the Chadwick St car park in just 2 days?

And how do you know that and that it has changed to Chadwick St? Is there a new letter?

And how many of these are planned by Stockport Council and where else are they going to be?

What area is this intended to cater for - just Marple residents, or will it bring traffic in from other areas?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

I'm not entirely sure what I think about this.

On one hand it smells of NIMBYism but on the other hand, having such a facility locally is really useful, especially as the reports today (29 Oct 2020) are saying there are 100,000 per day being infected.

Chadwick street is the largest car park in Marple so with increased lockdown requirements it probably won't be use as much as usual so may have the capacity. I do appreciate your point around the fact there is sheltered housing nearby, but actually there are sheltered housing facilities pretty much everywhere.

I'd be interested in your view of where else it could be? There are other places that come to mind that aren't being used as regularly as Chadwick Street. The Conservative Club and All Saints have decent-sized car parks and both are currently not being used a great deal.

ChadwickStreetCollective

Proposed Covid-19 test station. Trinity Street / Chadwick Street car park.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »
Hi All,

First post on here so be nice :-)

It has come to the attention of residents of Chadwick Street that there is a proposal to open a "temporary" Covid-19 testing station on the site of Trinity Street/Chadwick street car park. The proposed location will be outside the Carver Theatre.

The initial site was to be at Derby way car park but I believe this has been met with staunch resistance and the council are now looking at a new site at the Carver. I have been informed that they are hoping to open this as soon as the 7th November 2020.

There has been no consultation with local residents, and the council seem to have assumed that it's a given right that they will open a testing station here. Along with the increasing frequency of masks being dropped on the floor which local residents have been picking up, the extra traffic generated will cause chaos not just to the residents of Chadwick Street, but the centre of Marple as a whole.

It may have bypassed the attention of the council but Chadwick Street has some sheltered housing for the elderly, and potentially seeing the increase of traffic, mask wearers and a general increase of the number of people on this road could cause them concern and unwarranted stress.

There is also the fact that Marple sorting office is on this site, where postal workers collect the mail that is delivered to your house every day and this is a site that you have to visit if you miss a parcel that you are expecting. I'm sure you appreciate that if there is a testing centre on this site then potentially you and postal workers have more chance of coming into contact with someone that has covid-19 and a small chance of it being transferred and being spread via the mail that comes through your door.

I urge all with concerns to contact hayley.taylor-cox@stockport.gov.uk (0161 474 2452 / 07800 618569) and marie.omalley@stockport.gov.uk (011 474 2496 / 07800 618570) to get them to reconsider using Chadwick Street as a testing site.

Regards.

[attachment deleted by admin]