Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Marple ASDA Toilets  (Read 2173 times)

GM

Re: Marple ASDA Toilets
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 12:04:22 AM »
Are you surprised, just had the usual banging the drum leaflet posted through, with them claiming the government refused to give them money for the new pool.

Well that's not exactly true, the council had the money but wanted the government to cough up instead. Just get it built, at this rate the locals will be excavating one of the many pot hole for use as the local swimming hole.

PhilB

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 04:44:42 PM »
The swimming pool had public toilets as well.

Razzle24

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »
A few people might want to use a swimming pool; everyone uses a toilet. A swimming pool is a luxury; a toilet is a necessity.

I can't say I notice Marple being scruffy. No argument about the state of the roads or pavements though.

A swimming pool is not a luxury- Marple swimming pool was well used by all local primary schools to teach children to swim - which in my opinion living near canals could be lifesaving.
It also enabled the community to exercise and keep fit.
If toilets are really important then the council should be providing these - they should not be relying on local business to do this.

Condate

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
Why should ASDA be expected to have ‘public’ toilets?

This is so typical of our local councillors- focusing on smaller issues, what about the swimming pool, the state of the roads, pavements, the fact that Marple looks scruffy etc

A few people might want to use a swimming pool; everyone uses a toilet. A swimming pool is a luxury; a toilet is a necessity.

I can't say I notice Marple being scruffy. No argument about the state of the roads or pavements though.

jimblob

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 03:00:39 PM »

This is so typical of our local councillors- focusing on smaller issues, what about the swimming pool, the state of the roads, pavements, the fact that Marple looks scruffy etc
and....
Windlehurst speed measures need to be removed, a year on from the consultation results (and this was a lib election pledge I recall), they're still there!
Water Main at Dan Bank still gushing tens of thousands of gallons of water out and has been for 3 months. i shudder to think of the subsurface damage
overgrown shrubs on Dan Bank still encroaching onto cycle lane (reported and Council committed to cutting back 3 months ago)
Highways team spending £40k on "designing" new cycle scheme proposals for marple Centre... do the majority want this?
the list goes on...
plenty of rhetoric but nothing changes.
and where do our local councillors stand on CAZ.... are they in support? they seem to be very quiet on this? local elections looming, it would be nice to knwo what we are (or perhaps more importantly not) voting for?

GM

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 02:57:51 PM »
Probably because using Asda ones are effectively free for the council.

Razzle24

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »

Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »
I'm not sure those derby way toilets can be reopened, I'm sure I vaguely remember them being put up for sale a while back.
The news article lists both the ones on the Rec & derby way as being up for sale in 2012.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/need-to-spend-a-penny-stockport-council-679425

Yes I seem to recall that too - and the Mellor rec loo was also on the market. But I don't think anyone bought them - why would they?  I think there was a men's barber who wanted to acquire the loo at Marple rec but that never happened.

They should all be restored and re-opened IMHO.  Functioning public toilets are not a luxury, they are a basic requirement for a civilised society.

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
After over ten years of closure, I can't help but wonder what state they're in.

Perhaps someone knows.  I cycled past the ones at the top of the Middlewood Way in 2020 and was surprised to see a light on inside.

GM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 02:01:42 PM »
I'm not sure those derby way toilets can be reopened, I'm sure I vaguely remember them being put up for sale a while back.
The news article lists both the ones on the Rec & derby way as being up for sale in 2012.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/need-to-spend-a-penny-stockport-council-679425

jimblob

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 01:22:28 PM »
As to what our councillors should maybe focus their efforts on...

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/stockports-next-wave-of-projects-will-blow-you-away/

..."Stockport already has a pipeline of potentially transformative projects underway, but the borough is not going to rest on its laurels"

what laurels? it can't even fix roads! Can we please get the basics right before we try and "transform"

jimblob

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
Maybe a good re-election campaign?
I'd hope that any re-election campaigns are based on a little more than local public toilets.

CAZ - I'd be interested where all of our local councillors stand on this MASSIVE tax that is going to hit may local businesses hard and drive prices up for everybody. Current data shows that Manchester's air doesn't need cleaning and yet "clean air" seems to be on the green agenda at ANY cost!

The appalling state of our roads and that NOTHING is being done to ease congestion, if anything, so called "improvement" schemes simply make it worse, cycle lanes and 20mph limits won't fix the problem and a train to Stockport isn't going to fix the issue!

The fact that local Marple and High Lane residents completed a consultation which overwhelmingly requests that speed humps on Windlehurst Road are REMOVED but a year on they're still there.... lets face it, they can't even get the bolt down humps removed in a timely fashion

That council taxes will increase AGAIN but the levels of service we receive from our local council deteriorate year on year. Local councillors are supposed to be our voice and a bridge between the services we all pay for through our council taxes and the council.

...I could go on.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:08:11 PM »
Thank you for speaking to Asda about this @Steve Gribbon

When Mrs Admin asked this question some time ago we were told some nonsense about the cafe and toilets still belonging to the Coop.

Even it that is technically true it really needs sorting out and we look forward to seeing what answers you get.

At the same time we need to start talking about reopening the Derby Way toilets as the Covid pandemic has put paid to the so-called community toilets that was a key requirement to close them.

Derby Way is Marple South so I will speak to my South colleagues regarding this. I do agree it would be excellent to have them reopened as we have discussed previously.

Thanks

Steve

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
Thank you for speaking to Asda about this @Steve Gribbon

When Mrs Admin asked this question some time ago we were told some nonsense about the cafe and toilets still belonging to the Coop.

Even it that is technically true it really needs sorting out and we look forward to seeing what answers you get.

At the same time we need to start talking about reopening the Derby Way toilets as the Covid pandemic has put paid to the so-called community toilets that was a key requirement to close them.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steve Gribbon

Marple ASDA Toilets
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 06:25:15 PM »
Good afternoon.

Today I recontacted the HQ of Asda regarding the Marple store toilets still being closed. I visited the Trafford Park store this morning and all facilities are fully open. I have previously been informed that the decision was made by Head Office so today I have been asking why, it is unfair on our residents when others stores have had facilities reinstated. I have also asked for ours to be reopened at the earliest opportunity.

Kind regards

Steve