A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre  (Read 33575 times)

Graham

Re: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »
It’s nearly happened to me on several occasions as I have to pass over the “humps” at 5 – 10 MPH to avoid damage to my gentleman’s carriage.

Despite my well documented crusade for the Marple motorist and disdain for needless traffic calming measures, I have this very minute returned from walking into Marple district Centre to collect my cat’s flea treatment from the vet. Whilst walking up Stockport Road, near to the Shell station and nearby crossing I heard over my left should a large thud only to look round and see a small red Peugot having ploughed into the back of an equally small silver Suzuki Alto. Traffic was moving slowly on the main road, as it always does at this time and it appears the Suzuki had had to slow further in order to navigate his tiny frame over the speed cushion immediately following the crossing. Clearly the red car behind had not forseen this, probably because he wouldn’t have seen the speed cushion and therefore had not expected a sudden slowing of the vehicle in front of him. Whilst it is in no doubt that fault lies with the driver of the red Peugot having rear-ended the car infront of him, in my opinion and having witnessed the collision, it is also most likely that had there not been a needless mound of rubber bolted to the road infront of the Suziki, both vehicles would now be intact and both owners would be able to enjoy the rest of their sunny Friday rather than having to phone their respective insurance companies.

GM

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Just think of all the slow motion carnage, OAP's shuffling past you on the pavement. Which isn't too dissimilar to an average morning whilst escaping to get to work.

jimblob

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »
Serene 15. It's got a ring to it! It'd need bigger humps though I'm sure.

GM

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2021, 10:45:44 PM »
Sush jimblob, don’t give them any more reasons to make the plenty 20mph idea an even more sedate 15.

At this rate they’ll try turning Marple into a park and ride, leave your car at the Rec and they’ll have blockaded the roads like French protesters at Calais or superglued protesters hands to the tarmac.

jimblob

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
Despite my well documented crusade for the Marple motorist and disdain for needless traffic calming measures, I have this very minute returned from walking into Marple district Centre to collect my cat’s flea treatment from the vet. Whilst walking up Stockport Road, near to the Shell station and nearby crossing I heard over my left should a large thud only to look round and see a small red Peugot having ploughed into the back of an equally small silver Suzuki Alto. Traffic was moving slowly on the main road, as it always does at this time and it appears the Suzuki had had to slow further in order to navigate his tiny frame over the speed cushion immediately following the crossing. Clearly the red car behind had not forseen this, probably because he wouldn’t have seen the speed cushion and therefore had not expected a sudden slowing of the vehicle in front of him. Whilst it is in no doubt that fault lies with the driver of the red Peugot having rear-ended the car infront of him, in my opinion and having witnessed the collision, it is also most likely that had there not been a needless mound of rubber bolted to the road infront of the Suziki, both vehicles would now be intact and both owners would be able to enjoy the rest of their sunny Friday rather than having to phone their respective insurance companies.

GM

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
I've also ridiculed the whole scheme.

I'd be more than inclined to believe they hate both Marple and the whole of Stockport. Maybe whomever comes up with these idea lives in Tameside?

jimblob

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Wow!  I've commented on the insanity of both the 20mph zone and even more so the cushions. Someone must really hate Marple to have even thought of introducing them.
👍  ;D ;D

Condate

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I’ve just commented stating full support for the 20mph zone and replacement of the bolt down cushions with permanent flatter-topped tables that aren’t quite so horribly harsh. 👍

Wow!  I've commented on the insanity of both the 20mph zone and even more so the cushions. Someone must really hate Marple to have even thought of introducing them.

jimblob

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, I’ve just commented stating full support for the 20mph zone and replacement of the bolt down cushions with permanent flatter-topped tables that aren’t quite so horribly harsh. 👍
20mph...   👍
flatter-topped tables... 👎
smooth, level road surface...  👍

rsh

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2021, 10:06:52 AM »

jimblob

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:00 AM »
Out of interest, how many dangerous drivers who clearly weren't paying attention to the road have swerved into the layby and have actually hit a pedestrian, since they were installed?

I mean, there's risks of things happening all over the place.  And I think we can all agree that someone who swerves recklessly into a layby and hits someone who has stepped out into the layby, is a actually dangerous driver.  So I think asking how many proved examples of dangerous driving we have, is a fair question.
take that one farther back still @Howard , what were the accident stats, traffic data and speeding data as recorded in Marple district centre before these measures were installed....
The last two were not even in existence or part of the criteria for these measures being designed and installed and the accident stats (of which there were three) in the three years through 2017, 18 & 19 are as follows: -
The first incident involved a vehicle pulling out from Queen Street onto Stockport Road when it collided with a motorcycle travelling in a south westerly direction, resulting in a slight injury to the motorcyclist. The second incident involved a vehicle and pedal cycle both travelling westbound on Stockport Road when the vehicle stops to turn right and the pedal cycle collides with the rear of the vehicle, resulting in a slight injury to the pedal cyclist. The third incident involved a vehicle turning right from Union Road onto Stockport Road when it collided with a pedestrian crossing southbound from drivers nearside, resulting in a slight injury to the pedestrian.

All incidents involve turning or stationary vehicles, none state speed as a cause!, so let's introduce even more things for motorists to have to avoid, look out for, swerve to avoid on top of the hazards already presented to them!

You've also re-affirmed my point in stating..  "someone who swerves recklessly into a layby and hits someone who has stepped out into the layby, is a actually dangerous driver"
if there are dangerous drivers out there, which no one can deny there are, don't design a road scheme that makes them do more dangerous things and ignore the very recommendations in your own safety audit that suggests that the measures create a risk of this happening.

andrewbowden

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »
just remember that the scheme as installed today hasn't made the streets safer as the consultation preface suggests, it is in breach of The Highways Regulations (Road Humps) Regulations 1999 and it has placed speed cushions adjacent to laybys when the stage 1 safety audit made specific recommendations not to do so because it risked cars "swerving into an empty layby to avoid the cushions and hitting a pedestrian who had stepped into the layby in order to socially distance" It also has placed cushions closer than 30m to the pedestrian crossing outside no.85 Stockport Road, a direct breach of the regulations!

Out of interest, how many dangerous drivers who clearly weren't paying attention to the road have swerved into the layby and have actually hit a pedestrian, since they were installed?

I mean, there's risks of things happening all over the place.  And I think we can all agree that someone who swerves recklessly into a layby and hits someone who has stepped out into the layby, is a actually dangerous driver.  So I think asking how many proved examples of dangerous driving we have, is a fair question.

jimblob

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »
Don't forget to share your views on the safe streets Marple consultation... it closes on the 17th September.
https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/policy-performance-and-reform/safe-streets-save-lives-sssl-district-centre-20mph/

just remember that the scheme as installed today hasn't made the streets safer as the consultation preface suggests, it is in breach of The Highways Regulations (Road Humps) Regulations 1999 and it has placed speed cushions adjacent to laybys when the stage 1 safety audit made specific recommendations not to do so because it risked cars "swerving into an empty layby to avoid the cushions and hitting a pedestrian who had stepped into the layby in order to socially distance" It also has placed cushions closer than 30m to the pedestrian crossing outside no.85 Stockport Road, a direct breach of the regulations!

Stockport Highways Team won't admit to their failings and our local councillors seem complicit in this cover up and are using the consultation as a smokescreen, hoping that a conclusion to remove them will make all this go away rather than them have to stand up to Stockport's Highways Officers and hold them to account. Marple Area committee meeting tonight has refused my question, asking them which regulations apply to the scheme and why safety audit answers were ignored!, I very much suspect; because they know the answer will reflect badly on Stockport's Highways team and the council so they slam the door in your face!

Please complete the consultation and at least, justly or otherwise, get these ridiculous, polluting and car damaging cushions removed.

PhilB

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »
Thanks Mark,

Wood for the trees  :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
I don't believe this has been shared by anyone....

It was on here @PhilB but no harm done - I've merged the threads.....
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website