Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre  (Read 34098 times)

Nwra

Re: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
So, with that logical, lets reduce the motorway speed to 20mph then

Except for the logical fact that there aren't pedestrians crossing motorways every few minutes.

ROTHERS

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
To prevent accidents. It's not difficult to comprehend.

So, with that logical, lets reduce the motorway speed to 20mph then.

Where are the stats that back up this speed reduction on that stretch of road, how many killed or injured in the last 5 years, how many complaints that pedestrians cant cross the road ?

Nwra

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
Why should all traffic have to slow down

To prevent accidents. It's not difficult to comprehend.

jimblob

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 03:54:46 PM »
Speed bumps effectively slow down all traffic. That's why they're preferred as a safety measure.
Why should all traffic have to slow down when 99% of it is law abiding citizens who'd rather not have their vehicles damaged, have to brake and cause polution and reduce their fuel efficiency?

Nwra

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
20mph zones, road narrowings and signage

They might slow law-abiding citizens but they won't stop people who willfully speed. Speed bumps effectively slow down all traffic. That's why they're preferred as a safety measure. 

ROTHERS

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »
I don't really care about the speed bumps on Windlehurst Road and Upper Hibbert Lane, and I use both regularly.  The speed bumps on Stockport Road are quite horrible though due to their design. There seems to be no way to drive over them without a big bump.  Unless you are a bus.  Buses can just drive over them.

They're clearly temporary but they are most uncomfortable to drive on

I have no issues with a 20mph zone.
Go over those bumps on Windlehurst/UH lane in a BMW with runflat tyres/wheels, horrendous and i suspect i annoy everyone behind me with the speed i go.

jimblob

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2020, 10:45:03 AM »
In town centres, 20mph zones, road narrowings and signage. The shared space model works but only where through traffic is minimised by alternative routes being made available. So in the case of Poynton, they're in the process of getting a bypass which will massively improve their shared-space model. That wouldn't work for Marple without some kind of bypass.

On incoming roads, a strategically placed speed camera or average speed cameras. (a thoughtfully placed static speed camera lower down on Stockport Road towards Dan Bank perhaps and Strines, and on Windlehurst and Hibbert lane either average speed cameras or a static camera).

this way, only the offenders are affected and the majority of law-abiding citizens are not.

but what will all this cost I hear....?
Marple's newest bumpy addition cost over £25,000. that's for a handful of signs and some plastic speed humps. God only knows what Windlehurst and Hibbert lane has cost in terms of installation and the constant need to repair the speed cushions and tables. Sadly though, a strong business case for change seems beyond our blinkered Stockport Highways team, but perhaps public opinion and persuation might do the trick instead.

amazon

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2020, 10:21:22 AM »
A resounding vote AGAINST speed humps in Marple from "several hundred" repsondents
18% for
68% against
14% alternative measures.

20mph in Marple Centre is a great idea but clearly not with humps.

Based on these results, surely now is the time to address the same problems we have on Windlehurst and Hibbert Lane. It's a 30mph limit and a primary route into and out of Marple and doesn't warrant humps. Lets all press our local councillors to take this swell of opinion to the wider issue of all speed humps in the area. My favourite comment made very eloquently on the Marple Lib dems website...
https://marple.mycouncillor.org.uk/?p=1205#page-content

"Speed bumps are a ridiculous concept and a characteristically blunt instrument employed by myopic and obsessive local authorities"

Please Please Please can we now do something about our own myopic and obsessive Stockport Highways team.
SOwhat are the alternative me measures  .

andrewbowden

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
I don't really care about the speed bumps on Windlehurst Road and Upper Hibbert Lane, and I use both regularly.  The speed bumps on Stockport Road are quite horrible though due to their design. There seems to be no way to drive over them without a big bump.  Unless you are a bus.  Buses can just drive over them.

They're clearly temporary but they are most uncomfortable to drive on

I have no issues with a 20mph zone.

jimblob

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
A resounding vote AGAINST speed humps in Marple from "several hundred" repsondents
18% for
68% against
14% alternative measures.

20mph in Marple Centre is a great idea but clearly not with humps.

Based on these results, surely now is the time to address the same problems we have on Windlehurst and Hibbert Lane. It's a 30mph limit and a primary route into and out of Marple and doesn't warrant humps. Lets all press our local councillors to take this swell of opinion to the wider issue of all speed humps in the area. My favourite comment made very eloquently on the Marple Lib dems website...

"Speed bumps are a ridiculous concept and a characteristically blunt instrument employed by myopic and obsessive local authorities"

Please Please Please can we now do something about our own myopic and obsessive Stockport Highways team.

Condate

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »
Please make sure you make your views formal on the Marple Lib Dems website in regard to Stockport's Safe Streets recent bumpy additions in Marple.

and also on the email address Cllr Gribbon has set up
marpletraffic@gmail.com

Thanks for the link. I have made my views known there.

jimblob

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »
Please make sure you make your views formal on the Marple Lib Dems website in regard to Stockport's Safe Streets recent bumpy additions in Marple.

and also on the email address Cllr Gribbon has set up
marpletraffic@gmail.com

jimblob

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
it also seems a widely shared opinion amongst residents of Marple that speed humps are not the solution.

Care to provide any evidence for this statement?
endless comments to threads on social media (FB), primarily SK6 Traffic watch and What's on in Marple as a result of our "new arrivals" in Marple
plus studies that clearly document that speed humps cause environmental damage (noise and air pollution), damage vehicles, create issues for emergency services but don't effectively prevent speeding

Nwra

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »
As a resident in Marple and and parent of toddler who I take for walks most days, I fully support the Council in trying to reduce the speeds of cars on the local roads. And when I'm driving, it really isn't a significant inconvenience to slow from 30mph to 15mph for a short stretch of road with speed bumps.

Condate

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 09:41:56 PM »
it also seems a widely shared opinion amongst residents of Marple that speed humps are not the solution.

Care to provide any evidence for this statement?

Well I think it's an  incredibly silly and ill thought out idea. Since there has been no consultation, we can only guess. I think the majority of people in Marple can use their common sense, unlike it would appear the people who made the ridiculous decision. Time will tell, as any candidate at the next election who fails to propose the removal of these absurd monstrosities will discover.