Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Safer Walking and Cycling  (Read 8386 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Safer Walking and Cycling
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
Glad someone is on my side .

If you are concerned, maybe take a different route...

andrewbowden

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
I agree. I don't cycle on the canal as it's very narrow when you have lots of walkers out and I tend to think they should have priority.

"Pedestrians have priority on our towpaths so cyclists need to be ready to slow down. If you're in a hurry, consider using an alternative route for your journey. "
Canal and Riverside Trust, Towpath Code
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/our-campaigns/share-the-space-our-towpath-code

It's a shared space.  Bikes are certainly allowed to use towpaths.  But everyone - that's EVERYONE - needs to be aware of each others presence.  And that means pedestrians need to be aware of cyclists, and cyclists need to be aware of pedestrians, and if we ALL look out for each other instead of shouting and moaning at each other, the world will be a far better place.

amazon

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
Good point by marplerambler, about a better surface encouraging cyclists to go too fast. That’s a real problem on the canal towpaths at the moment, where cyclists come hurtling along, passing dangerously close to pedestrians - it can be quite alarming. A strong argument for leaving Rollins Lane as it is, perhaps.
Glad someone is on my side .

rsh

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
Good point by marplerambler, about a better surface encouraging cyclists to go too fast. That’s a real problem on the canal towpaths at the moment, where cyclists come hurtling along, passing dangerously close to pedestrians - it can be quite alarming. A strong argument for leaving Rollins Lane as it is, perhaps.

Good idea. Likewise since Strines Road is an absolute hellhole for speeding drivers of vehicles, making it an absolute no-go for many people on bikes who value their lives (thus the reason why so many use the parallel towpath which the usual suspects are now moaning about again), by the same virtue I suggest we return it to a gravelled/cobbled surface to slow the vehicles down. Fair enough right?

For the millionth time, if you’re unhappy about people on bikes on shared paths, or on the road in front of you, the thing to do is to campaign for and support proper segregated and dedicated cycle routes that are just for cycling. Then these awful people who are just trying not to drive (or can’t afford/don’t want a car) will be out of your way and you can enjoy... life? I don’t know, maybe some of you anti-any-improvement-to-peoples-lives brigade do that, sometimes!  ;D

nbt

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »

If you've ever tried the road there's on way you'd ever say that. I't quite a bit further, and there's lots more up and down, and thats without adding traffic into the mix. It can be very intimidating when cars have to get past you at any cost - which brings me to the second point, I wondered how long it would take before the "BuT cYCLiSts Go ToO fAsT!!£%!" argument was trotted out, and there we have it.

Now I'm not saying all cyclists are perfect, but is it really a problem? Or is it yet another case of "oh it MIGHT be a problem so let's stop it now"? In which case, what about the problem of people being hit by people driving cars? How many people each year have been injured and killed *on pavements* by drivers? (HINT - it''s  LOT higher than the number of people killed or injured by bikes) - and that's just people ON PAVEMENTS. Let;s get upset  about the REAL dangers, not something you think MIGHT happen
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Melancholyflower

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »

I agree. I don't cycle on the canal as it's very narrow when you have lots of walkers out and I tend to think they should have priority. The route is hardly a direct shortcut to the railway station in any case. You'd be better going on the road.

Dave

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »

marplerambler

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2020, 11:25:48 PM »
A decent surface on Rollins Lane is very understandably the last thing the owners want. The road serves no purpose for the owners other than access to the fields. Put a decent surface on it and what will happen? Trucks will be able to quietly sneak up it at night to dump tyres, fridges and building rubble on it and the cyclists will fly along it at 15mph+ endangering everyone including themselves. Perhaps one of the householders on Bongs Road approaching from Dooley Lane might comment about the horrific fly tipping that has taken place because that road is accessible to vans. The surface of Rollins Lane is ideally suited for the traffic that uses it. Its OK for walking, horse riding or mountain bikes. If cyclists want to travel faster than ten miles an hour there is a purpose made route with just the surface the cyclist needs that goes by the name of Compstall Road and Lower Fold.

Dave

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2020, 04:31:48 PM »
As I have already explained, Amazon, the council could if it chooses install the kind of hard surface they have laid on bridleways  elsewhere. That would not mean they have to ‘buy’ the track and it certainly wouldn’t cost hundreds of thousands.

amazon

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
The thing to do then is to build a case. Survey how Rolling Lane is used at the moment, what would be the attitude of current users and the owners, would it generate more cycling journeys.  Evaluate the costs against the benefits. As you will know Dave that is how things are done. One individual whining here every so often is of no use. If the LA cannot even be convinced it's worth doing that analysis then someone has not set about making their case in a sufficiently positive way.
Have you been down Rollings lane few hundred thousand to do up i recon plus cost of buying it from whom it belongs to .maybe a few owners maybe none just so someone can ride his bike that way you wont to able to use a night when dark .pie in the sky its just not worth it ....

wheels

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
However, elsewhere in the rights of way network (eg near the Roman Bridge and Windybottom) the council has installed a new hard surface on bridleways, and it might be worth trying to persuade them to do that in Rollins Lane?

The thing to do then is to build a case. Survey how Rolling Lane is used at the moment, what would be the attitude of current users and the owners, would it generate more cycling journeys.  Evaluate the costs against the benefits. As you will know Dave that is how things are done. One individual whining here every so often is of no use. If the LA cannot even be convinced it's worth doing that analysis then someone has not set about making their case in a sufficiently positive way.

Dave

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
How many more times its a private road .

Rollins Lane is shown on the OS map as a public right of way (bridleway). That obliges the council to maintain in a condition safe and suitable for horses, but pedestrians and cyclists are also allowed to use it.  One way it might have its surface improved is if the council adopt it and designate it as a road - but given the cost involved, that isn’t going to happen. 

However, elsewhere in the rights of way network (eg near the Roman Bridge and Windybottom) the council has installed a new hard surface on bridleways, and it might be worth trying to persuade them to do that in Rollins Lane?

andy+kirsty

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »

This is where our local councillors come in, they could work with the different user groups to create a proposal that works for the town and will see us through the next 20 years and the further Londonification of Greater Manchester. This is what has happened in Romiley.

I don't hold out much hope though - perhaps I'll get to use a segregated cycle lane on my mobility scooter in 40 years time!!

jimblob

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2020, 01:52:11 PM »
so the million dollar question has to be....
how do we stop Stockport Highways team f****g up every single "improvement" they implement? Expensive projects that deliver anything but improvements, seem to take an age because they take so long and end up causing more disruption than they purport to fix

andy+kirsty

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
Really good points Jim, (long post alert!)

The first thing to say is that the improvements to cycling and walking infrastructure would be mitigation in themselves. If we can take some cars off the road then it would really help.

Then, and I am no expert, we need to establish what types of journeys are made through Marple. I’d suggest there are those within the town. People from Rose Hill or Hawk Green popping to the district centre. Those from within Marple travelling to somewhere else, Stockport, New Mills etc. and those journeys that start outside of Marple and end outside of Marple but travel through Marple. Each would need a different strategy.

Those journeys that start and finish in Marple could be reduced with better local infrastructure. We could start with schools – persuading people to walk or cycle with dedicated lanes and zebra crossings and dissuading them by closing roads at certain times and civil enforcement of existing traffic measures. These routes could then link the new pool, park and so on.

For those journeys that travel through Marple but don’t start or end here we can ask the question ‘do they have to travel through the centre of Marple?’ Could we change how traffic moves around the town, someone mentioned a bypass although this will induce traffic flow. (Look at the A555 and High Lane) We could map those journeys and look at reprioritising roads and changing direction signage. There are challenges with this, namely Victorian architecture and naural bottle necks such as Dan Bank. Which is why it is necessary to also dissuade people to travel through Marple by changing the prioritisation of Stockport Road so that it is easier to take another route.

We have those journeys that start elsewhere and end in Marple, the cycling links work both ways and a pleasant town centre would attract more people. We have good car parks at present and people are willing to walk from them to the centre. (think the Trafford centre car park or Manchester train station to the shops)

Finally, we have to look at the journeys that start in Marple and end in neighbouring towns and Stockport. Better infrastructure would help here too, a lot is already there but there are some simple changes that could be made such as all weather surfaces rather than gravel and compacted mud.

Each of the above have particular challenges, as I have said I aint no expert and I’d dearly love to hear from our local councillors as to what their plans are, there is an ‘emergency active travel fund’ which is into the millions for Greater Manchester – how much of that pie do we get? The Stockport.gov website has the quite below for Romiley…

Romiley Active Neighbourhood
Working closely with residents and WalkRide Romiley, it's proposed to develop an Active Neighbourhood for streets north of Compstall Road. This will create improvements for pedestrians in the village centre as well as providing parklets for the community to enjoy. A safe cycle route to Stockport Town Centre will also be created with new crossings on Compstall/Stockport Road, making it easier to access and enjoy the canal and encourage the enablement of play streets.

The aim here isn’t to take all cars off the road – I couldn’t work or live without the car – but if we have a population in Greater Manchester of 2.547 Million people, and there are 200 Million car journeys of less than a kilometre, (0.62 miles) That equates to 78.5 journeys per person. The population figure includes children. If we use a DVLA figure of 141,797 cars registered in the GM boroughs then that figure is 1410 per car per year. This seems hard to believe, but if you count a drive from home to school, to home again, to school at 3pm, to home as four trips each day, it is feasible.

If we can make a dent in this, and children see that an alternative is possible then we may still have some hope!

The government are offering the money, we are being asked what we want to do with it, it seems churlish to say 'nah, we're alright as it is'