Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Safer Walking and Cycling  (Read 8482 times)

amazon

Re: Safer Walking and Cycling
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
Even walking on the canal is now dangerous occupation due to about 25% of the cyclists using it."I have rang my bell, so move".
On the roads, car drivers need to be educated on how to overtake cyclists properly (cyclists do not need 10 foot to the right of them).
All bikes should have bells .they used to have when i was young .

ROTHERS

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
Even walking on the canal is now dangerous occupation due to about 25% of the cyclists using it."I have rang my bell, so move".
On the roads, car drivers need to be educated on how to overtake cyclists properly (cyclists do not need 10 foot to the right of them).

rsh

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
To be fair, if you are only cycling up and down the Middlewood Way you aren't going to encounter many problems with cars are you?

It is evidently clear that the cycle network need improving  for the safety of all road users. As Marple residents we should be supporting and contributing to projects that help improve the area and not using it as an excuse to jump on your soapbox.

This forum needs a like button!

Nwra

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
rather than cars

To be fair, if you are only cycling up and down the Middlewood Way you aren't going to encounter many problems with cars are you?

It is evidently clear that the cycle network need improving  for the safety of all road users. As Marple residents we should be supporting and contributing to projects that help improve the area and not using it as an excuse to jump on your soapbox.

Stephen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:49:58 AM »
First - can I say i have been a cyclist all my life. Passed my cycling proficiency test at junior school many years ago and have cycled ever since, but I must say that to be honest the problems with the roads and paths in Stockport are caused by cyclists rather than cars. The standard of cycling in many cases is dreadful and totally unsafe and a danger to other road users and pedestrians. Walking down Middlewood Way is now unsafe due to the reckless speed of quite a few of the cyclists who use it and I would not be surprised if a serious accident was caused by them. I sometimes think that one of these no win no pay solicitors should advertise there as I am sure it is only a matter of time before a cyclist is sued for an accident that they have caused.

CTCREP

Safer Walking and Cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »
Social distancing and the result of cleaner air, the result of diminished car use, has highlighted the benefits of walking and cycling.  Cycling UK has a web based tool   https://www.cyclinguk.org/covid-19-safe-space-social-distancing#WMP    where people can point up the problems in their area.

Please take a look at the tool as it is beginning to show many of the problems with the roads and paths in Stockport that should be considered by our Council.

Please do what you can for our environment.