Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Co-op  (Read 3778 times)

mikes

Re: Co-op
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
I will definitely use the Co-op for anything I can’t get from our wonderful independent shops.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »
As there is a sign pointing to the Coop from Hibbert Lane right next to car park entrance, guess she may not be last to make that mistake.

But anyway did they have their hazard lights on?  Cos everyone knows you can park on double yellows if you have your hazard lights on...
Give it time to settle down. called in sat, not bad. prices are not right but for people that are in that area could be ok. save them going to iceland or asda .

andrewbowden

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
On Friday I saw the chap who owns the new corner shop having words with a Co-op employee who'd parked in his car park. She thought it belonged to the Co-op.

As there is a sign pointing to the Coop from Hibbert Lane right next to car park entrance, guess she may not be last to make that mistake.

But anyway did they have their hazard lights on?  Cos everyone knows you can park on double yellows if you have your hazard lights on...

Cyberman

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Already there were four cars parked on the double yellow lines outside the new co-op on Church Lane this morning making it difficult for people to cross the road.
When the site is complete it will have 14 parking spaces - although I'm sure some lazy customers will still park outside. On Friday I saw the chap who owns the new corner shop having words with a Co-op employee who'd parked in his car park. She thought it belonged to the Co-op.
Interesting link here giving details of the shop: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/yLGqJdDjkNujuJjtsVtCSV8UNmMGp2h0mct6FaC6S30/document.pdf.

wheels

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
Already there were four cars parked on the double yellow lines outside the new co-op on Church Lane this morning making it difficult for people to cross the road.

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
So it would not be a great surprise if in due course the Co-op were to relinquish the lease on the Texaco site, and it just becomes one of those generic garage-convenience stores, like the ones at Offerton and in Romiley.

Given how busy that petrol station is, I can't imagine they'll give up the lease in a hurry. 

Besides it's of a size that another major retailer would also snap it up quickly if it came on the market, and that could be more of a threat to them. 

Dave

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
I lived for many years in near South Wimbledon and by the time I left, at one road there was a Tesco on one side, on the other side Sainsbury's and a Tesco petrol station a little way up the road!

Yes but I think that's different.  It's called competition, and it's normal. But the Co-op seems to have decided to compete with itself!  That could work if the new site generates completely new business or, as Andrew suggests, takes business from Iceland or Asda, although that seems unlikely, given that Asda and Iceland are cheap and the Co-op is not!

But if the new Co-op just takes existing customers from the Texaco site to the new one, then it doesn't make a lot of sense.

So it would not be a great surprise if in due course the Co-op were to relinquish the lease on the Texaco site, and it just becomes one of those generic garage-convenience stores, like the ones at Offerton and in Romiley.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »
Puzzles me why the Co-op would want to have two similar sized convenience stores within half a mile of each other.

Coop only really do convenience stores these days. They don't have that many big stores, so it's probably about the right size for their strategy.

And whilst they are close, they will attract different customers.  The new one will be more likely to take people off Iceland and Asda.  Or people who are out in Marple town centre and think "oh I just need...". I am sure it will do alright for them.

If you think that's a little mad, I lived for many years in near South Wimbledon and by the time I left, at one road there was a Tesco on one side, on the other side Sainsbury's and a Tesco petrol station a little way up the road!

Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
Stopped off for a quick shop at the new Co-op today (first day of opening).  It's OK but pretty small and cramped. But they have managed to pack in quite a lot of stock into a small space. 

Another poster wrote: 
its not much bigger than the other one.

..... and that's dead right. If anything it feels smaller than the Co-op at the Texaco garage.  Puzzles me why the Co-op would want to have two similar sized convenience stores within half a mile of each other.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:59:04 PM »
In October I was approached by an agency on behalf of the new Co-Op saying that their client was interested in advertising on the Marple Website and asking for options. They also asked if I offered agency commission and would I be able to accommodate being paid 60 days after running the campaign.

I explained the standard advertising options (as detailed here https://www.marple.website/web-design-hosting/web-advertising.html) but said no to agency commission (my prices are too low) and my usual terms were 14 days and I could stretch to 28 days. I also explained that much of the income is given away to local causes.

Obviously wanted their agency commission as I heard nothing more :(
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »
According to the leaflet that came in the post to my house today, it opens Friday 4 December
Good news save going to asda sat for paper all though the corner shop farther down does sell papers ,

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 06:28:56 PM »
According to the leaflet that came in the post to my house today, it opens Friday 4 December

yourlocalshop

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
The co-op is now under offer and awaiting exchange. Its a 15 year lease at £5400 per month plus business rates. I understand the leasee is responsible for most of the fit out costs too! Thats some undertaking since its not much bigger than the other one. The site manager expects the entire site to be completed by December.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
The issue of the footings and the cellar wasn't a sudden discovery, or it shouldn't have been. I can remember my Father telling me that one of his clients (who worked for the council) had told him that the Albert Schools was ready to fall down at any minute because of the state of the under-pinings. And that was in the 1960s when Dad was explaining why I wasn't allowed to go the the Scouts' party in the building with the rest of the Guides in my Company!

(I was extra cross about the ban because I had a huge crush on one of the scouts - he's probably a cantankerous, wizzened old man with a bald head, a hearing aid and a walking stick, now. Ho-hum, how time flies!).

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 06:20:10 PM »
Much more than a rumour, it's a known fact that it's going to be a Co-Op.

The lease is for sale and has been for some time........

https://realla-media.freetls.fastly.net/uploads/property/brochures/original/jdOavA5nMXWbObsXGAXEQQ

It's been discussed at length in this thread: https://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6880.0

As to how long, that I don't know but the building work seems to be progressing whenever I go past.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website