Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Linked Events

• High Visibility Patrols in response to ASB in Memorial Park: January 27, 2022

Author Topic: High Visibility Patrols in response to ASB in Memorial Park [27 January 2022]  (Read 2141 times)

royal_marple

I've seen a police car driving up to the Memorial Park and also the Asda car park almost every day, as well as two officers on foot in the park yesterday afternoon. They can't be there all the time so no matter how often they patrol, I expect they will be criticised if/when ASB occurs when the police aren't there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Here is Chief Superintendent John Webster to tell you a little more about this...

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Isn't that what the police are supposed to do all the time?

Isn't one of the Peelian principles that the success of the police is not measured by arrests or indeed solving crime, but by preventing crime by their presence.

So this is a police presence for one day and they'll be gone by 8pm? I'm sure that will definitely 100% ensure there is no antisocial behaviour from that point onwards.

No, this is a special event to engage with the public, not a normal patrol like they do as often as they can, or when they have intelligence, or when things are reported to them. Unfortunately the police do not have the resources to patrol the park full time, which I'm sure is what everyone would like, me included. If we wish the police to operate on Peelian principles again then we need to reverse the serious decline in funding that has occurred in recent times and pay for it in our taxes. I'm up for that too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

So this is a police presence for one day and they'll be gone by 8pm? I'm sure that will definitely 100% ensure there is no antisocial behaviour from that point onwards.

Condate

Isn't that what the police are supposed to do all the time?

Isn't one of the Peelian principles that the success of the police is not measured by arrests or indeed solving crime, but by preventing crime by their presence.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Greater Manchester Police High Visibility Patrols in Marple Memorial Park

GMP have advised that there will be some special high profile / high visibility patrols in Memorial Park on Thursday 27 January:

Lunchtime 12:00 noon - High Visibility patrol in response to Anti-Social Behaviour. Street briefing and Q&A in Marple Memorial Park, councillors, partners and members of the public welcome and encouraged to attend if they wish. We hope to have support of GMPs mounted unit (Horses). Police officers will be on high visibility patrol throughout the afternoon and into the evening in response to the concerns raised around the Memorial Park and Town Centre areas owing to on-going ASB. Please feel free to attend and discuss concerns around ASB in the area.

16:30-20:00 - High Profile ASB patrol Marple Memorial Park and surrounding areas. Three of our local PC's will be present as well as officers from the special constabulary.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website