A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Green Bins  (Read 13319 times)

Dave

Re: Green Bins
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
I must have some Scottish blood because I don't want to pay that either.

Hmmm. Howard, is that acceptable and within forum guidelines? 😏

amazon

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
Of course I can hire a skip but have you seen how much they cost? I have also looked into using a wood recycling collection service, who want £140+VAT plus a mileage charge, so around the same cost as a skip. I can find a licenced waste collector who will take it away for "about" £80 but I must have some Scottish blood because I don't want to pay that either. The most cost effective way (and most environmentally friendly I think) for me to dispose of it is to take it for recycling myself (I have already paid for that through my council tax). Although it's a bit of a nuisance I am fortunate that I have enough room to store it until the recycling centre reopens for normal service.
Ok only trying to help .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2020, 05:31:08 AM »
Cant you hire a skip save you thumping that lot round there are Maple skip hire working .

Of course I can hire a skip but have you seen how much they cost? I have also looked into using a wood recycling collection service, who want £140+VAT plus a mileage charge, so around the same cost as a skip. I can find a licenced waste collector who will take it away for "about" £80 but I must have some Scottish blood because I don't want to pay that either. The most cost effective way (and most environmentally friendly I think) for me to dispose of it is to take it for recycling myself (I have already paid for that through my council tax). Although it's a bit of a nuisance I am fortunate that I have enough room to store it until the recycling centre reopens for normal service.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2020, 10:44:28 PM »
Now we just need Rose Hill Tip (including the wood recycling bit) to reopen so I can get rid of my old shed :)

Cant you hire a skip save you thumping that lot round there are Maple skip hire working .

jimblob

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
I won't be taking it at 7pm on a Saturday evening, so that's entirely up to the recycling company when they do it. If that is outwith the terms of their operations then complain to our council or local councillors.
My quote wasn't directed at you, merely an observation with the site closed as to the birdsong we can now hear on a saturday or sunday evening whilst enjoying our gardens during this fine weather. The noise level is indeed outwith the terms of the environmental and noise impact assessments carried out when planning for the site's redevelopment was undertaken in 2007/2008. That, along with several other issues that Manchester Combined Authority are looking into in this regard.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »
so that the local residents around Rose Hill Tip can listen to your shed being smashed to smithereens by the material handler at 7pm on a spring Saturday evening?

I won't be taking it at 7pm on a Saturday evening, so that's entirely up to the recycling company when they do it. If that is outwith the terms of their operations then complain to our council or local councillors.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jimblob

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
Now we just need Rose Hill Tip (including the wood recycling bit) to reopen so I can get rid of my old shed :)

so that the local residents around Rose Hill Tip can listen to your shed being smashed to smithereens by the material handler at 7pm on a spring Saturday evening?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
Maybe - just maybe - Stockport are about to restart green bin collections and haven't announced it.

The council have just confirmed this on Twitter. Will be every 2 weeks with the black bins

That's right. They say "We can confirm that our Green Bin collection will start a fortnightly service from Monday. Please put your Green Bin out before 7am on the same day that your Black bin is usually collected. Please put your food waste in your green bin." #spreadtheword to your friends and family.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mikes

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »
Good news

corium

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
The council have just confirmed this on Twitter. Will be every 2 weeks with the black bins

Dave

« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »
According to the Evening News green bin collections will resume on Monday.  See https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/green-bin-collections-start-up-18217378.amp

andrewbowden

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
Bloody hell...Andrew is being reasonable again. I thought we'd talked about that...

I'd say it won't happen again, but clearly I just can't stop myself!

Howard

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
Okay, maybe I need to spell it out more bluntly.

Maybe Stockport has more staff off work than Manchester.

Maybe Manchester residents produce less garden waste per household so it's easier to restart.

Maybe they have more trained HGV drivers that they have been able to redeploy onto bin lorries.

Maybe they have cut some other services that others would consider critical in order to do the bins.

Maybe Stockport have taken the decision to keep collections suspended in order to help protect their staff who cannot easily self isolate due to the size of a bin lorry, whilst Manchester have gone "sod it, people need to be able to garden is far more important than the safety of all our staff."

Maybe - just maybe - Stockport are about to restart green bin collections and haven't announced it.

And let's also be extremely blunt here.  Until very recently when Oldham took the top spot, Stockport had the worst - THE WORST - rates of Covid-19 in Greater Manchester.  The North West has more cases than London.  We are in the middle of a major pandemic.  We have the worst death rate in Europe

My green bin is full because I had to trim the hedge at weekend.  And you know what, I do not care one bit that it is full because frankly it does not matter one bit.

By the way, Tameside never suspended theirs.  If you are going to moan and try and make comparisons without information, pick a good one.

Bloody hell...Andrew is being reasonable again. I thought we'd talked about that...

wheels

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »
Okay, maybe I need to spell it out more bluntly.

Maybe Stockport has more staff off work than Manchester.

Maybe Manchester residents produce less garden waste per household so it's easier to restart.

Maybe they have more trained HGV drivers that they have been able to redeploy onto bin lorries.

Maybe they have cut some other services that others would consider critical in order to do the bins.

Maybe Stockport have taken the decision to keep collections suspended in order to help protect their staff who cannot easily self isolate due to the size of a bin lorry, whilst Manchester have gone "sod it, people need to be able to garden is far more important than the safety of all our staff."

And let's also be extremely blunt here.  Until very recently when Oldham took the top spot, Stockport had the worst - THE WORST - rates of Covid-19 in Greater Manchester.  The North West has more cases than London.  We are in the middle of a major pandemic.  We have the worst death rate in Europe

My green bin is full because I had to trim the hedge at weekend.  And you know what, I do not care one bit that it is full because frankly it does not matter one bit.

By the way, Tameside never suspended theirs.  If you are going to moan and try and make comparisons without information, pick a good one.

That seems to put things fairly well in persective.