A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Cottages on Market Street.  (Read 742 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Cottages on Market Street.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:13:02 AM »
Oh! you're right @Henrietta

This photo does show the bank and cottages together, so the cottages immediately adjoining the Bull's Head must have gone first.
The chimney was demolished in 1957, so we're narrowing it down.

Another image that shows a bit more of the story....this is 1962.

So demolition was between 1957 and 1962.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Cottages on Market Street.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
When were the stone cottages between Trinity Chapel and the bank building demolished?

Can't answer your question fully atm but Trinity Chapel was demolished in 1964-65, so certainly before that.

I wasn't here in those days but photos on the Virtual Tour show the cottages were in the location where the bank building is now - all the way up to the Bull's Head. So are you suggesting that some of the cottages and the bank building were there at the same time for a period? I would have assumed that all the cottages were knocked down and then the shops and bank built in their place but maybe not? Can't currently find any photos that support this though.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

Cottages on Market Street.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »
To settle a discussion (and let me get some sleep) can anyone answer the following?

When were the stone cottages between Trinity Chapel and the bank building demolished?

I can remember them being there when I was very small and then they weren't. I don't remember seeing the demolition actually being done so I must have been at school - so 1953/4-ish? Despite my very young age, I was really angry when I found out that they had gone. I think I must have been a very young female John Betjeman!

I was very pleased when the people of Marple (including me!) rose up and stopped the council demolishing the stone cottages near the Sorting Office in the 1980s. At the time I lived on Market Street over Dad's shop and after receiving the letters, including mine, a councillor (on the demolition side) came into Dad's shop shouting about my letter and telling Dad he should control me better. Dad informed him that I was 30 something years old at the time and my own woman and, anyway, he agreed with me!