Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Brabyns Brow Access Road to Park – Carriageway Resurfacing Works  (Read 3901 times)

amazon

Re: Brabyns Brow Access Road to Park – Carriageway Resurfacing Works
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
It started in The Washington Post in 1911 actually. I believe that was pre Bernard Cribbens.
Cant remember that far back

Howard

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Bernard cribbins if your old enougth

It started in The Washington Post in 1911 actually. I believe that was pre Bernard Cribbens.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »
If you're in a hole...stop digging.
Bernard cribbins if your old enougth

Howard

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
i ment business rates

If you're in a hole...stop digging.

amazon

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
The Community Charge was abolished in 1993, 27 years ago. You really have to try and keep up.
i ment business rates

wheels

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »
Community charge then

The Community Charge was abolished in 1993, 27 years ago. You really have to try and keep up.

amazon

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Rates were abolished in 1990. Living in the past?
Community charge then

Howard

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »
Isugest they put up the rates to pay for it .or you could do crowd funding .

Rates were abolished in 1990. Living in the past?

amazon

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Oh do shut up. It's not too wide at all. If you have nothing positive to say, say nothing
Isugest they put up the rates to pay for it .or you could do crowd funding .

nbt

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:14 AM »
Oh do shut up. It's not too wide at all. If you have nothing positive to say, say nothing
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

amazon

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »
And when the Mayor of Greater Manchester has a fund to encourage cycling why is Stockport Council so averse to catering for cycling and enabling you to get to work etc without being covered in mud or worse.

This is how the French cater for their equivalent of the Middlewood Way.  If we are to encouraging cycling in preference to cars then this is what is needed.  Stockport MBC must really move itself into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
Its to wide for rollins lane

CTCREP

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »
And when the Mayor of Greater Manchester has a fund to encourage cycling why is Stockport Council so averse to catering for cycling and enabling you to get to work etc without being covered in mud or worse.

This is how the French cater for their equivalent of the Middlewood Way.  If we are to encouraging cycling in preference to cars then this is what is needed.  Stockport MBC must really move itself into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nbt

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
I know what it's like, therefore I dress appropriately. I wear my cyclig gear for my commute, as I know I will have to change clothes at work. I also have some good cycling lights, in order that I can commute by bike year round.

In the dry (usually in summer), Rollins lane is fine.

in the wet (spring, autumn, most of winter and ocasionally in summer) Rollins Lane - like many other "cycle routes" in Stockport such as Dark Lane and the new path from marple Hall to Chadkirk - is a wet, muddy mess.

As I said, I know what it's like and I'm prepared for it. I keep a change of clothes at work, and we have  drying cabinets which I can use so that my cycle clothes are ready for my homeward trip. Not everyone wants or needs to change clothes after a cycle commute - if I was only commuting to the station for instance, I'd wear my office clothes - but I wouldn't be able to do that though muddy puddles

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »
I'm usally at my desk before 08.30, and leave after 16.30, year round, so I'm definitely using Rollins Lane in the dark through December and January. I can show you the GPS logs of my journey. I often meet dog walkers on Rollins Lane, occasionally runners and other walkers, sometimes cyclists. I don't recall ever having seen a horse, though I have seen horse poo so I can believe it. when the mornings get lighter, I often stop on Iron bridge to watch the dippers and occasional kingfishers
I've cycled Rollins Lane and I though it was reasonable in daylight. But your comments @nbt suggest that it is suitable for cycling even at night.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
I'm quite happy to support proposals that increase cycling.  I like cycling.  Cycling is a great exercise.  If I didn't work from home, my preference would be to cycle to work.  Personally I'd be happy to cycle through that muddy puddle cos to be honest, I've gone through far worse looking on the canal towpath to Romiley.  I respect that not everyone would.

So what I am saying is that you have a personal bias in favour of upgrading Rollins Lane, and you believe it has to be prioritised.  And clearly the council has an opposing view.

I don't know which is right  I don't have the council's priority list.  I don't have the evidence they presumably have.  But what I am sure is that they'll be prioritising the schemes they believe will have the biggest impact. 

Either way, one of you is wrong in your assessment.  And CTCREP I have to break it to you.  But I have to.  When you stack all the priorities up, it might be the council who is wrong.  But it also might be you that is wrong.