All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Cllr Malcolm Allan: Liberal Democrat Candidate for Marple North 2021  (Read 2787 times)

Malcolm Allan

Re: Cllr Malcolm Allan: Liberal Democrat Candidate for Marple North 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 08:31:52 AM »
Thanks for the opportunity to re-introduce myself. I’m the sitting councillor in Marple North standing for re-election. Many people will know me from the more than 20 community groups I support actively or from one of the projects I’ve been involved with, including saving and running the Northumberland Arms or the Wharf Project to restore the warehouse to be a community building. I also developed an idea to stop the toilets at Etherow weir from demolition and worked with the volunteers to save it, I organised the Xmas tree lighting event in Marple precinct and you will often see me around litter picking or maybe know the “wallop” litter picking scheme I run. I’ve been involved in many other campaigns and activities.

I believe that the community is at the core of our lives. It follows that we should let the community have a clear say in what happens around them. That means listening to them and being there for them, being both available and approachable – and that’s what a councillor should be. They should also take a lead and start ideas going wherever possible plus set the best example they can for others. A councillor has another important role to play in advising people especially about how to interface with the council and how best to get problems resolved. There’s also an influencing role where you can add weight and credibility to something by giving it your support in the right way.

I’ve tried to follow all these principles and although I would be the first to admit I’ve not always succeeded, I have always tried, stuck at it and worked as hard as I can. I also aim to represent residents with the Council, knowing that what people want from their Council is effectiveness and efficiency. Above all, this means getting things done, and doing this promptly and correctly. Again that’s what I push for and if it can’t happen I try to explain things clearly, even when it’s not the answer people were hoping for.

I’ve lots of projects in the pipeline including organising the Marple Food and Drink festival, repairing the Lime Kilns, two Neighbourhood Plans and getting some local tricky issues resolved. I’d like to carry on with this work and that why I’m standing again.

Malcolm Allan

Cllr Malcolm Allan: Liberal Democrat Candidate for Marple North 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
NOTE: This statement was posted in February 2020. An updated statement has been requested

I’m hoping a lot of people already know me. I was brought up in Romiley, and I’ve lived in Marple for over 34 years. I also have relatives who live here and my three daughters were all educated in the area. If you don’t know me and you’ve never met me, I’m very happy you check out my reputation with your friends or neighbours or someone in a Community group in Marple.   
I work actively with 16 community groups and support another 10 or so via meetings and picking up their issues. I’ve been involved in a lot of initiatives and succeeded at a number of projects. I won’t list them all but they include saving and running our only Community Pub, the “Thumb”, organising the Xmas Tree lighting event in Marple, saving Etherow Park toilets, overturning a Council decision that overlooked traffic and pedestrian safety, and developing plans to save Marple Wharf with a community facility. I’ve campaigned for better early year’s provision, dementia awareness and more action on environmental issues (I have a professional background that includes sustainability and the environment). 

One thing I’m now able to do is to influence things locally and push things along that get stuck or have barriers put in the way. I firmly hold onto the principle that my job as your Councillor is to represent the interests of my fellow residents, and to do that effectively, I aim to be approachable, available, responsive, knowledgeable and fully involved, with a focus on getting things done. I’m actively working on a number of projects for later in the year, including promoting our shops and District Centre, and two environmental initiatives for the area. I’m keen to continue this if people decide to vote for me.