To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Carolyn Leather: Green Party Candidate for Marple North 2021  (Read 2023 times)

Newbie1

Carolyn Leather: Green Party Candidate for Marple North 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
NOTE: This statement was posted in February 2020. An updated statement has been requested

I live in Marple North with my husband, twins aged 16 and two small dogs. I grew up in Stockport and then went to Leeds to study Medicine.  I trained as a GP and then worked as a Palliative Care doctor in Macclesfield until 2015. 
I have a particular interest in inclusive education and equality issues.  I was a school governor for a number of years, and have volunteered at the Wellspring and with the Cinnamon Trust.  I organise a community litter pick on the first Saturday of every month, and I helped to set up the Repair Cafe in Marple.

I’ve been the secretary of Stockport Green Party for the past two years, and have dealt with many issues of case work across Stockport.

If elected as your next councillor, I would vehemently oppose the A6-M60 bypass which would be an environmental catastrophe. Instead I would continue to support the development of a much improved, fully integrated and accessible public transport system and safe cycling and walking schemes. 

Stockport Council declared a climate emergency last year, but absolutely nothing has been done about it.  There has never been a more urgent need for Green voices on Stockport Council.  I’ll work collaboratively with colleagues to find solutions to the difficult problems we face, but social and climate justice will always be at the centre of my decision making.