Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Please God British Broadband ASAP to rescue Marple from Virgin shambles.  (Read 5102 times)

Cyberman

Anyone having problems with Virgin Media at the moment? My fibre service has been really slow for 2 days (1.5MBps instead of 200). Unusable for 2 people WFH. Can't get through to a human to query it - just an automated test which might reset the router which is not an option. I suspect they are having issues nationwide but it would be good to know a fix is in sight.

I retract my comment from last Nov. saying VM are good, but I stand by the comment that their customer service is crap.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Please God British Broadband ASAP to rescue Marple from Virgin shambles.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 05:23:13 AM »
I live down at the bottom of Woodville Drive and have just turned on my computer for the first time today at 11pm and everything seems to be working OK.

The service went off at around 6.30am. The letter advised to get in touch if things were not up and running by 5pm, so I was expecting a long day without connection. However, it was back up by around 10am, went down again for about 20 minutes a bit later and then was fine for the rest of the day. So not too bad at all.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marplerambler

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 11:12:05 PM »
Virgin BB is down for maintenance again in Woodville area today. At least we had a warning letter.
I live down at the bottom of Woodville Drive and have just turned on my computer for the first time today at 11pm and everything seems to be working OK.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »
Virgin BB is down for maintenance again in Woodville area today. At least we had a warning letter.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Ironically yesterday I had my second major outage this year on my PlusNet Fibre broadband.  Major issues for many customers served by the local exchange.

No such thing as a perfect internet provider.  But it's how the staff deal with it that makes the difference.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
I have to agree that the Virgin service has become a lot worse in the lest 2/3 months with more outages than in the previous 2 ish years combined and more instances of slow speeds. However still in a different league to BT where I got as many outages in a single day as I have in the 2 years since I switched
Virgin media customers who used to pay line rentall for twelve months in advance  they will no longer let you do that .

corium

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
I have to agree that the Virgin service has become a lot worse in the lest 2/3 months with more outages than in the previous 2 ish years combined and more instances of slow speeds. However still in a different league to BT where I got as many outages in a single day as I have in the 2 years since I switched

ROTHERS

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 02:50:49 PM »
down again from 621am until around 230pm... It was also down last week too.
I have been using a non-modem internet service since 1999 (BT ISDN Home Highway) and Virgin provide the worse service i have ever experienced. Contract expire date cannot come fast enough..

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »
We have had Virgin Media for 10+ years and the internet has been fine technically (FTTC - 200Mbps). Very rarely had a problem. The offshore call centres are a pain however - the operators are clueless, just following a script, and hard to understand. Also they call frquently asking if you want to upgrade. There was a rumour that if you asked for a Welsh speaking service you were put through to a Swansea call centre, but that's shut now. I've heard horror stories about BT and TalkTalk from work colleagues so I suspect they are all as bad.
I've been fighting with Talk Talk for nearly 3 years. DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!!!

They don't honour their 3 week trial period by the simple thing method of making it impossible for the customer to tell anyone that they don't want to continue after the trial period (because the service if non-existant!

I was roped in by their low charges. More fool me - you'd think at my age I'd have more sense.

Plusnet are great and very helpful. They have real people on the phone and they can mostly solve problems on the first call.

I foolishly decided to try the cheaper Talk Talk - more fool me - I ought to have more sense.

marplerambler

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
still not had a reply is your service still off .
Lost service from Wednesday night (date stated in letter from Virgin Media) but the weird thing was that a few of the messages from earlier in the day fed through then the emails/internet went off. Tried resetting the control box (the tiny reset button at the rear of the Virgin consol) on a number of occasions. Phone, TV and wi-fi were OK but the access to the email and internet not working until Saturday despite Virgin's insistence that they were and that I would be charged for an engineer visit. I got back on line half an hour before I realised that there was a Virgin Media van outside my neighbour's installing the Virgin system. What I cannot be sure of is if the signal was reinstated overnight Friday/Saturday morning or if the engineer access to the cable running under pavement caused the signal to come back on.  The worse thing is that there has now been another letter stating that Virgin are carrying out further work.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »
Is it still off your service .
still not had a reply is your service still off .

Cyberman

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »
We have had Virgin Media for 10+ years and the internet has been fine technically (FTTC - 200Mbps). Very rarely had a problem. The offshore call centres are a pain however - the operators are clueless, just following a script, and hard to understand. Also they call frquently asking if you want to upgrade. There was a rumour that if you asked for a Welsh speaking service you were put through to a Swansea call centre, but that's shut now. I've heard horror stories about BT and TalkTalk from work colleagues so I suspect they are all as bad.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
A fat lot of use Ofcom is!! 'If your provider fails to repair a fault by when they say they will or you are unhappy with how long it is taking, you should follow their formal complaints procedure. Details should be available through their website or customer services.' Just one small problem Ofcom - Virgin Media have turned off their email complaint page. Grrrrrrrrrrr!  >:(
Is it still off your service

amazon

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
"Any recommendations for an internet provider who provides a decent service to Marple? " - PlusNet, since 2011 18 Meg Internet phone and mobile no problems, and call centre located in Sheffield and speak Yorkshire English.
Wow thats slow .

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
"Any recommendations for an internet provider who provides a decent service to Marple? " - PlusNet, since 2011 18 Meg Internet phone and mobile no problems, and call centre located in Sheffield and speak Yorkshire English.

I have been with plus net for a very long time.  Can be slow to call them though, but the staff are always helpful and friendly.