Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Petition to link High Lane, Middlewood Way and the A555 with a safe cycle route  (Read 1599 times)

jimblob

All true Jimblob but that doesn't stop you supporting the petition for the benefit of others. Most people will be going to the airport by bike either on a daily basis,  and then many employers will find a safe place to store a bike, or they will be taking their bikes with them to travel abroad.

It really is time for Stockport MBC to recognise that cycling is just as much a part of our transport system as cars are.
I haven't said I don't support it... I'm merely highlighting the ridiculous mentality of our council and highways teams and the lack of transport infrastructure in general.

CTCREP

...I'm not convinced your bicycle would be safe if left there for 5 days at a stretch. Any secure facilities would likely then be charged (as seem to be most necessities at the airport) and this cost would likely then be prohibitive.
Local authorities, councils and airports are only interested in what makes them money!

All true Jimblob but that doesn't stop you supporting the petition for the benefit of others. Most people will be going to the airport by bike either on a daily basis,  and then many employers will find a safe place to store a bike, or they will be taking their bikes with them to travel abroad.

It really is time for Stockport MBC to recognise that cycling is just as much a part of our transport system as cars are.

jimblob

Marple residents should be able to commute to the Airport by bicycle just as they should be able to commute to Stockport by cycle.   
I go to and from the airport each work as I work away. This is expensive by taxi, time consuming by train as well as time limited and it's almost impossible by bus. I'd considered cycling but there are no proper facilities to leave a bicycle at the airport unless you work there and I'm not convinced your bicycle would be safe if left there for 5 days at a stretch. Any secure facilities would likely then be charged (as seem to be most necessities at the airport) and this cost would likely then be prohibitive.
Local authorities, councils and airports are only intersted in what makes them money!

CTCREP

Thanks for bringing this subject into this section. Although Stockport's proposals are directed to High Lane residents it is important for hundreds of people living outside of High Lane.

Marple residents should be able to commute to the Airport by bicycle just as they should be able to commute to Stockport by cycle.   Eventually it should be possible to cycle, mainly of road and not on pavements, from Manchester to Macclesfield as well as the Airport.  This can reduce car created pollution and reduce obesity.  A proper cycle link to the A555 is essential.

I hope every one will sign the petition and that our Councillors will pressure Stockport MBC as well.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Just bumping up this petition for a cycle way between High Lane, Middlewood Way and the A555.

The petition is doing quite well but needs more support from the local community!

http://chng.it/KVdjyfPxt8
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andy+kirsty

Signed & Shared.

rsh

If you've tried cycling the path along the A555 you'll know it's actually a pretty excellent link to Manchester Airport and a vast swathe of south Manchester and Cheshire. But have you tried getting there from Marple?

The Middlewood Way takes you almost there without any traffic, but you've then got to join the horrendous, hostile A6 for 450 metres - worse when returning uphill. I know other members of this forum have stated they just use the pavements, but these are narrow and there's no reason we should've be given a proper space to cycle here, for the benefit of all road users and pedestrians.

Previous plans for cycling here have come to nothing. Though Stockport Council now say a cycle link between the A555 and High Lane is planned as part of their "East-West cycle link", they've made no progress in two years and somehow linking their two best, safe cycle routes doesn't seem to be a priority.

There is now a petition that's trying to show the strength of feeling to close this gap, and also to provide the safe cycle link long promised for High Lane. This would mean that there'd actually be a real alternative to joining the constant queue of traffic through Windlehurst lights, for those who are able to cycle. It would also make it possible to cycle from Marple all the way to Manchester Airport almost entirely off-road (as well as other places such as Bramhall and Cheadle with links already in progress). As funding for "Bee Network" schemes is dished out, we need to make sure Stockport Council are spending it in the right places and that our corner of Greater Manchester isn't left out any longer.

Please sign and share with friends and family: https://www.change.org/p/stockport-metropolitan-borough-council-link-high-lane-middlewood-way-and-the-a555-with-a-safe-cycle-route