Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Voting for Brexit  (Read 50974 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Voting for Brexit
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
Are there local hustings? I haven't seen any details anywhere.

Dialstone Methodist Church tomorrow at 10am.
https://www.facebook.com/events/dialstone-lane-methodist-church/a-good-society-general-election-2019-hustings/2479981342049877/

It's the only one I've heard of.  Wragg had accepted but has pulled out - as reported by the Guardian's North of England editor on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/1199996923626885120

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »
Incidentally I see Wragg has again pulled out of doing a hustings.  Just like he did in 2015.  It's almost like he's afraid of actually talking to voters.

Are there local hustings? I haven't seen any details anywhere.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
Incidentally I see Wragg has again pulled out of doing a hustings.  Just like he did in 2015.  It's almost like he's afraid of actually talking to voters.

mikes

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2019, 05:37:50 AM »

Cyberman

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
I don't think I've ever felt so depressed about an election in over 20 years of voting.
My thoughts exactly.

marplewoman

« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
I fear that the split of the non-Tory vote will once again hand the constituency to William Wragg.  I would never vote Conservative, but could be a bit happier if we at least had a hard-working MP who was a Conservative.  The fact that less than 50% of the electorate will want him as their MP, but he'll still probably win, is depressing. 

I have no desire to vote Lib Dem, largely for their stance on women's rights as noted by ringi, but a vote for Labour in Hazel Grove is truly a waste and will just hand another MP to Johnson and lead to a disastrous hard brexit (and labour's position on women's rights isn't exactly where I want it to be). 

I don't think I've ever felt so depressed about an election in over 20 years of voting.

Cyberman

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Just had a mailshot on behalf of Anne Coffey - ex Labour MP for Stockport.  She says - and I quote - "For progressive voters Lisa Smart is OUR candidate. She is the only one who can beat the Conservatives here. The Green Party are standing aside and I am writing to urge you to back Lisa to beat the Conservatives here. It is not easy to ask this after so many years working for Labour, so thank you for considering it for the future of our area and country".

I agree entirely with this. I think a hard Brexit will be a disaster for this country. A soft Brexit would cause less damage but what's the point - OK we keep advantages but have no say in future rules.  I believe, as has been said before, the Brexit vote was a response to problems not of the EU's making. If the Tories are re-elected, these problems will get A LOT WORSE. I think Labour could transform the U.K. for the better and my heart supports them, but I will vote Lib Dem to try to kick out Wragg.

For information, Labour's spending plans have recently been supported by a large body of economists and academics. I would give them a go. Something has to change.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/general-election-labour-economy-spending-corbyn-boris-johnson-a9218041.html

Dave

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2019, 08:29:49 PM »
I am impressed with what she has done over the last year or two.    However voting for her risks putting Corbyn in power, and keeping him out of power is my number one aim when deciding how to vote.

I am no supporter of Corbyn - I agree that he is not fit to be prime minister. However, the only alternative (Johnson) is also unfit to be prime minister. So we have a choice between two men who are clearly not up to the job. One will give us a hard Brexit, the other will hold a referendum between a softer Brexit and remain. It’s a no brainer!

tigerman

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »
My political views are quite similar, Andy, but we need to vote intelligently, ie tactically, to have any chance of avoiding five more years of this duplicitous Tory party.
I left the Labour Party due to Corbyn's historic anti-EU views, I am a Remainer as I believe leaving to be a massive mistake, so have no problems voting for the Libdem.

tigerman

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »
I really struggle with this working class tory schtick / daily mail playbook.

We bailed out the banks during a global recession, we've endured years of austerity that has decimated services, schools, lives and hope in may areas. Most of my working life has seen me pay considerable tax (high rate tax payer) but all the institutions we should hold dear broken down and sold off.

We're being told by millionaires and billionaires that we can't afford a decent health service, public transport comparable to other European countries and a progressive tax system where the richest will pay more. compared to what we have got and what has happened over the past decade i'm more than happy to chance a labour government.

From what I saw yesterday and in the leaders debates the day before Labour has a plan, has a vision and some hope - the other parties don't. You have 3 shades of Tory - the remain wing (libDem) the one nation group in the middle and the Far Right nutters (Brexit Party)

So, as i've said before, Brexit is the conclusion of anger and depression not caused by the EU but by the failed neo-liberal model. As such i'll be voting Labour on the 12th, will accept  that i'll contribute a bit more but in return will live in a country that is generally more happy, has well funded schools, good clean transport and isn't the US' b**ch.

ringi

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
I understand your comments and feeling about Ms Smart but I think we have to accept that since the last election she has stuck with it, got herself elected to Stockport Council and has become involved in a wide range of local organisations.

I am impressed with what she has done over the last year or two.    However voting for her risks putting Corbyn in power, and keeping him out of power is my number one aim when deciding how to vote.   This sums up my reasons for not liking Corbyn, see https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-26/labour-party-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-chief-rabbi-labour-attack-dont-have-to-believe-corbyn-antisemitic-to-see-attack-harmful-robert-peston/

I just don’t believe that anyone who is still at the top of the Labour party has the skills to carry out half of what is in their manifesto.    Government is about choosing what to do, Labour has proven with the  manifesto (and promises since) that they are not willing to make chooses about where to put the nations limited resources.

As to the LibDems, I would also find it hard to vote for them due to them saying any man who says he thinks he is a woman should be using the same open showers and changing rooms as my wife at gyms etc.    The Labour party at least acknowledges this is an issue. 

wheels

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
Oh Henrietta that's left me with such a warm glow.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
The 2016 was a badly organised advisory referendum that should just be ignored.
Don't often agree with you, Wheels, but you are right on the spot this time.

wheels

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2019, 06:48:42 PM »
Not quite Andy.  here are the figures since 2010.

I take wheels's point about the shortcomings of our incumbent MP, and I'm sorry to say that at the last election I was less than impressed with Ms Smart.  But for me the overwhelming priority is to stop the sheer stupidity of Brexit, and here in Hazel Grove that means voting for the candidate who is best placed to beat William Wragg. It's a case of vote Wilson, get Wragg, I'm afraid.

I understand your comments and feeling about Ms Smart but I think we have to accept that since the last election she has stuck with it, got herself elected to Stockport Council and has become involved in a wide range of local organisations.

Dave

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
So let’s hope Mr Wilson takes the same sensible approach!