A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Save Marple Wharf - the facts  (Read 4743 times)

jimblob

Re: Save Marple Wharf - the facts
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Yes, trying to turn Marple into just one great housing estate  with eventually no shops or other facilities is not the way to go.  Marple was once an attractive town that residents of Stockport and even Manchester would visit, and it could be again if the attractions we already have are not simply replaced by houses. 

The Climate Change Issue  means eventually people will want to have somewhere to go to without driving miles, or worse still flying. Marple needs to promote itself as a Tourist Attraction, but that requires the involvement of the Planning Department whose priority appears to be solely to increase Council Tax Income, not the development of Stockport as an attractive place to live.

But with such dire transport links and access by car (yes car!) so appalling, it's not an attractive option to visit, work, live, shop, dine etc. If Marple is to retain it's heritage, that somehow has to be funded and for that, people need to spend money here and be able to get here. We can't have it all ways!

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »
I agree, something needs to be done with the whole area, but I don't think that squeezing seven houses into the site is the answer. A productive use could easily be :
        Warehouse cafe/heritage centre/fitness room and outdoor area for seating and heritage items
        Yard for New Horizons
        Facilities for boaters'
        Parking spaces for users
        Open space for users of the Wharf

Yes, trying to turn Marple into just one great housing estate  with eventually no shops or other facilities is not the way to go.  Marple was once an attractive town that residents of Stockport and even Manchester would visit, and it could be again if the attractions we already have are not simply replaced by houses. 

The Climate Change Issue  means eventually people will want to have somewhere to go to without driving miles, or worse still flying. Marple needs to promote itself as a Tourist Attraction, but that requires the involvement of the Planning Department whose priority appears to be solely to increase Council Tax Income, not the development of Stockport as an attractive place to live.

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:50:56 AM »
I agree, something needs to be done with the whole area, but I don't think that squeezing seven houses into the site is the answer. A productive use could easily be :
        Warehouse cafe/heritage centre/fitness room and outdoor area for seating and heritage items
        Yard for New Horizons
        Facilities for boaters'
        Parking spaces for users

To be blunt, there's already attempts to convert the Wharf building in the form of The Wharf Marple Project, and according to their Facebook page they're over a third of a way there for funding. 
http://www.thewharfmarple.co.uk/

Let's be blunt.  It's put your money where your mouth is time.  If you want that facility invest and make it happen.  If enough people do, then it will most likely happen. 

Me?  I'm skeptical that there's the demand/need for conversion to a heritage centre/cafe that needs to be satisfied.  But others feel differently, so good luck to them.  If they can raise the money and make it happen, that's fine by me.  And if they prove me wrong, even better.

But if they don't succeed, what's going to happen to that building?   I've said it before here and I'll say it again.  Attempting to block redevelopment at a planning level on the basis of "it could be used for" would be simply bonkers.  If the community can't raise the funds to open it up, then why would anyone else do it?  In such a situation, trying to block redevelopment would simply mean the building sits there rotting away.

As for facilities for boaters?  What facilities do you want?  And is there a demand/need from boaters for such facilities?  It's easy to say "we need this?" but I'd like evidence.  I'd like data please. 

Parking spaces for users?  Which users?  How many of them can't walk from the sizeable car parks already located in Marple?  If you're talking users of New Horizons, then be specific.  I can't see many people supporting general parking there myself.

john suggitt

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
The sooner the whole area is brought into productive use the better. It's been left in a derelict state for too long, attracting all sorts of anti social behaviour.

Yard for New Horizons
        Facilities for boaters'
        Parking spaces for users

john suggitt

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »

Isn't the warehouse hopefully being bought from the developers a separate issue? The houses if built wont have anything to do with the warehouse project so what do you suggest as a alternative to the houses?
No, it isn't a separate issue. Together, the Wharf and its buildings are an important site in Marple's history and there is only one Planning Application. It includes the conversion of the Warehouse but also the building of seven houses and all the associated facilities right next to the Warehouse.

We need the Planning Application to be refused again so that the Canal and River Trust realise that the people of Marple want the Wharf to be developed for their benefit: conversion of the Warehouse, provision of open space around the Warehouse, parking spaces for users, facilities for boaters and a yard for New Horizons (just like they already have).

Will L

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:20:51 AM »
I mean, if there are houses involved I’m not going to object.

hatter76

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 10:14:59 PM »
The sooner the whole area is brought into productive use the better. It's been left in a derelict state for too long, attracting all sorts of anti social behaviour.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
I'm a Marple resident, heritage enthusiast and canal boat owner. I fully agree with the plan to convert the Warehouse. But that is not the whole story! Did you know that the Planning Application also includes: seven houses; toilet block for boaters' and rubbish skips for boats and houses; fourteen parking spaces just for the houses; only three other parking spaces; no space around the Warehouse; complete loss of Marple Wharf; loss of heritage; loss of yard for 'New Horizons'; loss of Wharf for canal maintenance (longer response times to deal with emergencies).

Do you agree with this? Do you consider it could have negative effects on the appeal/viability of the Warehouse? Do you think 'New Horizons' should have its own yard?

The Planning Application for housing was rejected by our Councillors late last year due to the impact on heritage of the density of the development and the amount of traffic it would generate. What has changed?

Isn't the warehouse hopefully being bought from the developers a separate issue? The houses if built wont have anything to do with the warehouse project so what do you suggest as a alternative to the houses?

john suggitt

Save Marple Wharf - the facts
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:17 PM »
I'm a Marple resident, heritage enthusiast and canal boat owner. I fully agree with the plan to convert the Warehouse. But that is not the whole story! Did you know that the Planning Application also includes: seven houses; toilet block for boaters' and rubbish skips for boats and houses; fourteen parking spaces just for the houses; only three other parking spaces; no space around the Warehouse; complete loss of Marple Wharf; loss of heritage; loss of yard for 'New Horizons'; loss of Wharf for canal maintenance (longer response times to deal with emergencies).

Do you agree with this? Do you consider it could have negative effects on the appeal/viability of the Warehouse? Do you think 'New Horizons' should have its own yard?

The Planning Application for housing was rejected by our Councillors late last year due to the impact on heritage of the density of the development and the amount of traffic it would generate. What has changed?