A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: How Parliament Works  (Read 5196 times)

Howard

Re: How Parliament Works
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Blame labour and why do we need another referendum the people of this country voted OUT to get rid of europe telling use what to do ..

@amazon Blame Labour? The Tories had a majority if you include the DUP and a smallish number of opposition MPs who supported implementing Brexit. However, it was hardline Tory Brexiteers who voted against the withdrawal bill THREE times. I have little love for Labour, but blaming them is nonsense,

Dave

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
Andrew is absolutely correct. It’s beyond bizarre, but yes, it was the Brexiters who blocked Brexit.

If the Brexiters had had the sense to compromise we would have left the EU by now. And given the closeness of the referendum result, a compromise ‘soft Brexit’ (such as leaving the EU but staying in the free trade area, like Norway or Switzerland) would have made a lot of sense. But sense seems to have been in short supply.

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if we end up having another referendum, probably on Johnson’s current deal, and the result is that we remain in the EU after all. And the Brexiters in Parliament would have only themselves to blame.

andrewbowden

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 11:40:01 AM »
Blame labour and why do we need another referendum the people of this country voted OUT to get rid of europe telling use what to do ..

The biggest blocker to us leaving the EU has been consistently been hardline pro Brexit Conservative MPs.

118 Tory MPs - including ours - voted against May's deal in January.  And then later.

Given the Tories had a slight majority in this current parliament (thanks to the DUP), they are absolutely are the ones to blame.  We could have left in March if it hadn't been for MPs like Wragg.

marpleexile

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 11:31:37 AM »

Why do we need another general election, the people of this country voted the current MPs into office........

amazon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
But what is their opinion? We know what their opinion *was*, three years ago, we don't know what it currently is.

The current government has spent the last three years failing to implement BREXIT, and in the process has done virtually nothing else, to the overall detriment of the country (leaving aside whether you think BREXIT is a positive or negative). It wouldn't be unreasonable for there to be another referendum asking if we want them to continue pursuing BREXIT (which may or may not have a positive impact at some undetermined point in the future) or if they should move on to any of the more pressing issues that have been ignore over the last three years, most of which would have immediate benefits for the country.

It's why we have general elections every so often, so that the public can change their mind.

marpleexile

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »
But in the case of Brexit, it was a question put to the Public, and I would expect the MP's to make sure they are representing their Constituents opinion

But what is their opinion? We know what their opinion *was*, three years ago, we don't know what it currently is.

The current government has spent the last three years failing to implement BREXIT, and in the process has done virtually nothing else, to the overall detriment of the country (leaving aside whether you think BREXIT is a positive or negative). It wouldn't be unreasonable for there to be another referendum asking if we want them to continue pursuing BREXIT (which may or may not have a positive impact at some undetermined point in the future) or if they should move on to any of the more pressing issues that have been ignore over the last three years, most of which would have immediate benefits for the country.

It's why we have general elections every so often, so that the public can change their mind.

nbt

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
As a contrary viewpoint, I would hope that the MP would be aware of the way their constituents voted, but would then bear that in mind against what would result in the best outcome for the country in general and their own constituency in particular. It may result in the MP supporting a viewpoint which does not represent the views of their own electorate, and that is where we have an issue, for I would expect an MP (especially a junior MP like our own Mr Wragg)  will more or less always want to bear in mind the possbility of losing their position by doing the right thing rather than trying to maintain their vote and  simply supporting the views of the electorate even though that would have a hugely damaging impact - for instance.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

CTCREP

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
Although it may be somewhat absurd to ask your constituents for their opinion on every subject, we would hope an MP would be aware of the general opinion.  But in the case of Brexit, it was a question put to the Public, and I would expect the MP's to make sure they are representing their Constituents opinion and not to follow a course of their own.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
Like everyone else, I’ll vote for the candidate whose views on major issues are closest to mine. What I wouldn’t do is vote for a candidate who said ‘I don’t have any views or principles of my own - every time I have to vote I’ll ask my constituents what they want me to do and I’ll go with the majority’.

amazon

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:24 PM »
It's a good question! The standard answer is to quote the great 18th century MP and philosopher Edmund Burke, who famously said that an MP owes his constituents his judgment and conscience, but doesn't necessarily owe them the total subjugation of his own views to theirs. In his view, MPs are elected to represent their constituents best interests as determined by the MP’s judgement, rather than simply to represent the wishes of a constituent, regardless of his own judgement.
So how are you going to vote in this general election .

Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
Over 52% of those living in Stockport who voted in the Referendum voted to Remain in Europe, so do our MP's vote according to our wishes, their own opinion, or simply follow Party Lines. 

It would be nice to know, as if it is their own opinion, or along Party Lines, then how can they say they are Representing the people of Stockport.

It's a good question! The standard answer is to quote the great 18th century MP and philosopher Edmund Burke, who famously said that an MP owes his constituents his judgment and conscience, but doesn't necessarily owe them the total subjugation of his own views to theirs. In his view, MPs are elected to represent their constituents best interests as determined by the MP’s judgement, rather than simply to represent the wishes of a constituent, regardless of his own judgement.

corium

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
Though I understand these are estimates the following site may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Results_by_constituency

You need to scroll down quite a bit to find individual results

Water Rat

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
According to the BBC website:

Ann Coffey (Stockport) voted against both of the proposals - TIGfC
William Wragg (Hazel Grove) voted for both of the proposals - Conservative
Jonathan Reynolds (Stalybridge and Hyde) voted against both of the proposals - Labour
Andrew Gwynne (Denton and Reddish) voted against both of the proposals - Labour
David Rutley (Macclesfield) voted for both of the proposals - Conservative
Ruth George (High Peak) voted against both of the proposals - Labour

Is there a trend here?

Outside of this area Melanie Onn (Great Grimsby) Labour - voted FOR the Bill but against the timetable as she said my constituents voted to leave and I listen to them - will she be deselected?

CTCREP

How Parliament Works
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
I have never taken a great interest in our Political system, but in this turmoil of Brexit I wondered how our MP's, who I assume represent everyone within their Constituency, decide to vote in Parliament. 

Over 52% of those living in Stockport who voted in the Referendum voted to Remain in Europe, so do our MP's vote according to our wishes, their own opinion, or simply follow Party Lines. 

It would be nice to know, as if it is their own opinion, or along Party Lines, then how can they say they are Representing the people of Stockport.