Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Marple's First Happy to Chat Bench on Derby Way  (Read 1073 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple's First Happy to Chat Bench on Derby Way
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
Happy to Chat Bench in Marple Memorial Park

Following creation of the first Marple "Happy to Chat Bench" on Derby Way in September this year, Friends of the Park have now created a second bench in Marple Memorial Park.

The bench chosen is one of the three on the slope overlooking the Bowling Green, which was felt to be a good place for people to stop and talk.

As with all "Happy to Chat" benches anywhere in the country, we now need the community's help to make it work. So if you see someone sitting at this bench in the park please make the effort to stop and say "hello".

Read more on the main site: https://www.marple.website/community-projects/chatbench.html

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

Re: Marple's First Happy to Chat Bench on Derby Way
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
I think this is a great idea.

I was born and brought up in Marple but left for college and later for teaching jobs and only came back to Marple permanently a few years ago after I retired. When I came back to Marple I only knew one person (old school friend that I'd kept up with). As I no longer knew people who I went to school with or older people who knew my parents through their business, I found myself smiling and saying "hello" like a mad woman, to anyone who appeared to be my age or were old enough to be my parents' customers - I didn't want anyone saying that I was too rude and up-ish to speak to them!

Acknowledging people in the street and at the bus stop has led to a number of people suggesting interesting organisations in the village (sorry, it was always called that when I was a girl and it's a hard habit to lose!) or just saying "Hello" or commenting on my dress or asking where I have my hair cut.

The seat on Derby Way is an excellent way of encouraging people to be friendly without risking frightening the other person and anyone who doesn't want to chat to a stranger knows which seat to avoid.

Will there be more "happy chatty" benches in other parts of Marple?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Marple's First Happy to Chat Bench on Derby Way
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
Marple's First Happy to Chat Bench on Derby Way

Following discussions on the Marple Community Hub the Marple Website has teamed up with Friends of Marple Memorial Park to create the first Marple "Happy to Chat Bench" on Derby Way.

This bench, refurbished by Friends of the Park, has been chosen as the first location in Marple because the idea is supported by Wayne Eric Wood, owner of Mr Chips on Derby Way, and he has said he'll be happy to chat to anyone who sits there and would like to talk.

Read more here: https://www.marple.website/chatbench

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website