Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Parking, Stockport Road, Bus area outside Costa to Greenhalghs  (Read 8073 times)

JohnBates

Re: Parking, Stockport Road, Bus area outside Costa to Greenhalghs
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »
The tighter the parking, the better it is to reverse in. Its simple physics. The turning wheels move over a wider arc. So unless you have rear wheel steering reversing in is easier, and far more likely to get out if someone parks awkwardly opposite.

Only disadvantage of reversing in is access to boot. But for ease of manouvering should always reverse.

andrewbowden

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
What’s the problem with reversing into a parking bay, just use the mirrors, both of them, that all cars are fitted with, better than reversing out blind into other moving traffic. The only time I drive forward into a bay is when I need to load into the boot and access to it would be blocked by other cars. Give it a go you may even get quite good at it.

You don't reverse out blind.  You have mirrors.

And given every time I go to the shops, I need to get in the boot...

Like many modern cars, mine is also equipped with parking sensors.  Whether you use then to reverse in, or reverse out, they are a very helpful innovation.

Graham

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
What’s the problem with reversing into a parking bay, just use the mirrors, both of them, that all cars are fitted with, better than reversing out blind into other moving traffic. The only time I drive forward into a bay is when I need to load into the boot and access to it would be blocked by other cars. Give it a go you may even get quite good at it.

adventurer_marple

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »
There always seems to be cars parked on double yellow lines outside the Toymaster/Archers and Hollins along with some parked on Fern Close. I have on occasions seen the camera car parked opposite the bus stops on double yellow lines.

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
Drivers should be the responsible one and if they won't act responsible one and if they won't act responsibly then legislation is required with no exemptions.  We also need to tackle people that drive into parking spaces instead of backing in. Driving into parking spaces is already an offence in many countries and it's time this lazy sloppy poor driving practice was tackled.

What countries would those be?

And I would be more than happy to reverse in.  If parking bays were actually designed to cope with the average modern car.

You may call it sloppy, but there's plenty of parking spaces that are horrendous to get into forward, yet alone whilst trying to look over your shoulder.  If you'd like an example, pop over to Stepping Hill hospital.  Took me about ten minutes to get into one of their parking spaces a few years ago thanks to a classic combination of narrow bays and badly placed pillars.  Reverse in?  No way.

wheels

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
  Councils should be the ones responsible.

Drivers should be the responsible one and if they won't act responsible one and if they won't act responsibly then legislation is required with no exemptions.  We also need to tackle people that drive into parking spaces instead of backing in. Driving into parking spaces is already an offence in many countries and it's time this lazy sloppy poor driving practice was tackled.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »
Just to add to the confusion, try reading this  [urlhttps://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmtrans/1982/1982.pdf][/url] .  It is part of a document that also covers Yellow Lines.  While parking is a problem, I suspect the Government will recommend a Ban on Pavement Parking, but will leave it up to local councils and local police to decide if they want to enforce it.  How many hours of politicians and Civil Servants time has been spent on this?

All that would do would be to bring the rest of the country in line with Greater London where this is already the case.

And it has to be done on a pragmatic basis. 

I used to live in the London Borough of Merton.  And like many places, they have roads where if you banned pavement parking, and people parked on both sides of the road, the road would be blocked.

But pavement parking (the ban of which wasn't enforced) meant blocked pavements.  So the council instigated a pragmatic policy.  They'd enforce pavement parking rules for most streets.  And some streets would have a partial exemption.  They published a list of streets where you could pavement park BUT you had to leave a 1m gap on the pavement.  If you didn't, you'd get fined.

There's no good having a central government edict that all pavement parking must be banned.  Councils should be the ones responsible.

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
Just to add to the confusion, try reading this  [urlhttps://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmtrans/1982/1982.pdf][/url] .  It is part of a document that also covers Yellow Lines.  While parking is a problem, I suspect the Government will recommend a Ban on Pavement Parking, but will leave it up to local councils and local police to decide if they want to enforce it.  How many hours of politicians and Civil Servants time has been spent on this?

Condate

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 04:30:25 PM »
Good let's deal with the parking on the double yellow lines outside Archers/Hollins etc next.

Yes, that would be very welcome. Let's hope something is done about that problem.

PhilB

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
It is or used to be : No Stopping 7AM to 7PM ( expect buses )

amazon

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
That area has changed and you will get a parking ticket if you leave your car there to go into any of the shops there quickly.
The friendly JW folks are advising folks when they leave their car there, but my wife sadly misheard them and got a ticket within minutes.
I suspect the local parking enforcement officer is sat in Costa, waiting for his next victim.. You have been warned..
[/quote It could be the car with the camera on top its round a lot now certainly lower fold Glossop road area .

wheels

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
That area has changed and you will get a parking ticket if you leave your car there to go into any of the shops there quickly.
The friendly JW folks are advising folks when they leave their car there, but my wife sadly misheard them and got a ticket within minutes.
I suspect the local parking enforcement officer is sat in Costa, waiting for his next victim.. You have been warned..

Good let's deal with the parking on the double yellow lines outside Archers/Hollins etc next.

Condate

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:22:56 AM »
I've always been baffled as to how people get away with parking there. I assumed it was always forbidden.

ROTHERS

Parking, Stockport Road, Bus area outside Costa to Greenhalghs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »