Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Parking, Stockport Road, Bus area outside Costa to Greenhalghs  (Read 8076 times)

jimblob

Re: Parking, Stockport Road, Bus area outside Costa to Greenhalghs
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
Jimblob.  Should we not be more concerned with lives saved and injuries avoided than any costs involved.
Open council cheque book or are you happy to fund this yourself Wheels?
Seriously though, we've a strapped council who say they can't afford to do anything from fill potholes to provide social care but you think this is a justifiable cost?  :o where d'you think this money can actually come from?

amazon

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
Any enforcement of the double yellow lines outside Archers and Hollins of Marple?
Perhaps this needs to changing to no waiting and no loading at anytime regulations. Which would make it an instant ticket if you’re parked there.
So how do archers recieve there suplies and goslings hollins as well .Think  about it before you post .

wheels

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 03:18:08 PM »
Jimblob.  Should we not be more concerned with lives saved and injuries avoided than any costs involved.

jimblob

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
Any enforcement of the double yellow lines outside Archers and Hollins of Marple?
Perhaps this needs to changing to no waiting and no loading at anytime regulations. Which would make it an instant ticket if you’re parked there.
How would you propose to enforce such a policy? Mr white van man (other genders permitted ofcourse) buying their lunchtime pastie?
cameras + backoffice support = cost
local traffic warden = cost
police = cost (and they're overstretched as it is)

perhaps the council could re-focus the efforts of the ANPR car that loves to hang around Mraple looking for easy prey and apply the costs associated with that to something more akin to making marple safer?

adventurer_marple

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Perhaps some of the councillors on here can look into this?

I'm with you on this any parking here makes crossing the road very dangerous.

wheels

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »

I'm with you on this any parking here makes crossing the road very dangerous.

adventurer_marple

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 05:30:43 PM »

amazon

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
Well if you need to go in the evening or a Sunday, public transport is very difficult.

Besides, the last time I went there I wasn't living in Marple.
fair comment

andrewbowden

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »
Why cant you use public transport to go to stepping hill

Well if you need to go in the evening or a Sunday, public transport is very difficult.

Besides, the last time I went there I wasn't living in Marple.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »
Funnily enough I did pass my test.  I have held a full, clean driving licence for over 20 years.  I drive a large family car.  But clearly you are a superior driver to me if you can get into a space in the Stepping Hill multistories without needing to do a ridiculous number of manoeuvres and have the constant worry that you're going to bash the side of your vehicle into a pillar.

The sizes of parking bays in this country has not changed in decades.  But the size of cars have.  last year Which compiled a list of 129 cars either too long or too wide for UK parking spaces. 
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/06/cars-too-big-for-parking-spaces-the-worst-culprits-revealed/

My car isn't on that list, but this summer in Wales I parked in a large car park where the marked bays were significantly shorter than the length of my car...  I think they were designed to fit Minis and 2CVs and little else.
Why cant you use public transport to go to stepping hill

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »
One assumes you passed your driving test? So there is no reason why you can't park your car in a carpark whether it's Stepping Hill or anywhere else. I drive a large Renault Scenic and have no problems parking it in public car parks, including that at Stepping Hill and I'm just a helpless little woman (sarcasm off).

Funnily enough I did pass my test.  I have held a full, clean driving licence for over 20 years.  I drive a large family car.  But clearly you are a superior driver to me if you can get into a space in the Stepping Hill multistories without needing to do a ridiculous number of manoeuvres and have the constant worry that you're going to bash the side of your vehicle into a pillar.

The sizes of parking bays in this country has not changed in decades.  But the size of cars have.  last year Which compiled a list of 129 cars either too long or too wide for UK parking spaces. 
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/06/cars-too-big-for-parking-spaces-the-worst-culprits-revealed/

My car isn't on that list, but this summer in Wales I parked in a large car park where the marked bays were significantly shorter than the length of my car...  I think they were designed to fit Minis and 2CVs and little else.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
What countries would those be?

And I would be more than happy to reverse in.  If parking bays were actually designed to cope with the average modern car.

You may call it sloppy, but there's plenty of parking spaces that are horrendous to get into forward, yet alone whilst trying to look over your shoulder.  If you'd like an example, pop over to Stepping Hill hospital.  Took me about ten minutes to get into one of their parking spaces a few years ago thanks to a classic combination of narrow bays and badly placed pillars.  Reverse in?  No way.
One assumes you passed your driving test? So there is no reason why you can't park your car in a carpark whether it's Stepping Hill or anywhere else. I drive a large Renault Scenic and have no problems parking it in public car parks, including that at Stepping Hill and I'm just a helpless little woman (sarcasm off).

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »
That area has changed and you will get a parking ticket if you leave your car there to go into any of the shops there quickly.
The friendly JW folks are advising folks when they leave their car there, but my wife sadly misheard them and got a ticket within minutes.
I suspect the local parking enforcement officer is sat in Costa, waiting for his next victim.. You have been warned..
About time too. I passed one day when the bus area was packed with cars and delivery vans and the buses were having to stop on the roadway, obstructing other traffic.

Common sense should be enough to stop people parking there but obviously common sense is not a strong point among some drivers. Hopefully, the parking ticket and fine has taught your wife a lesson.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
The main problem with parking is the size of cars which are the size of a mini-bus. There is no need for anybody to have a car bigger than a Ford Fiesta. If everybody did have smaller cars there would be no problem with parking.

Do you have children?  Cos child seats alone take up a lot of space in the back.  Two of them in the back of a ford Fiesta?  My parents have a medium size and they struggle.

Stephen

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
The main problem with parking is the size of cars which are the size of a mini-bus. There is no need for anybody to have a car bigger than a Ford Fiesta. If everybody did have smaller cars there would be no problem with parking.