A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Mccolls Market Street  (Read 4196 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Mccolls Market Street
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »
So we can look forward to another hairdressers, charity shop, take away or restaurant can we.
Don't be snobby about charity shops. There are people in Marple who need their services and they raise money for very good causes.

I have to admit that I'm not "in need" but my best winter coat came from the Marple Cancer shop - brand new, 100% wool, good German make, still had its shop and manufacturer's labels attached - £20!

However, as far as hairdressers are concerned Marple has probably reached saturation point.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »
Sign on their door states that home delivery of newspapers will be transferring to the Rose Hill branch, so no need to worry about not getting your paper delivered.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
What would you prefer to see there? Whilst I can think of a few things it might be nice to see, I can't think of any that would stand a chance of actually making enough money to survive.

I would like to see Oldknow's expand into it like Beer Traders are doing.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »
So we can look forward to another hairdressers, charity shop, take away or restaurant can we.

What would you prefer to see there? Whilst I can think of a few things it might be nice to see, I can't think of any that would stand a chance of actually making enough money to survive.

wheels

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
I expect we can look forward to whatever it is that local people are willing to use and allows the owners to make a profit and if it's a hairdressers,  take away or restaurant that's because that what Marple people are happy spending their money on.

badger

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »

wheels

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
So you are advocating buying newspapers and recycling them but not having a paper bag on medication?

🖒

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
A simple idea is that more people should use the shop. (And before anyone starts whingeing at me - I do use it).

Reading your newspapers on-line is one of the reasons that newsagents' shops are disappearing. Newspaper is easily re-cycled if readers can be bothered, so save a tree, buy a newspaper, keep a shop open. Simple really!

If McColls can't make the shop pay, then it's going to need more than people buying newspapers.    And a LOT more than trying to persuade people on this forum to buy them.  Printed newspapers are slowly dying.  One newspaper has already given up on print (the Independent) and at some point others will follow.  It's not a matter of if.  It's when.

No one in their right mind is going to build their business model on selling newspapers.  They're going to do it on other things.  Indeed, McColls is not a chain of newsagents.  They're a chain of convenience stores.  And as a convenience store, I can imagine the difficulties that branch has.  It's cramped.  Amazingly cramped, especially round the till.  It has limited space to stock a wide range of products that people expect to be able to buy.  And it's minutes walk from a large Asda that sells a far bigger range at lower prices, and that has very similar opening hours.  And in a year or so there will be another convenience store opening up just across the road at the Albert Schools.

That's the reality.  They're in a competitive market, and that store has very strong competition.  And it's only going to get worse.  In fact I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has.

Like I said earlier, I feel for the staff.  It's not a nice thing to go through.  But McColls is a business, not a social enterprise.

My suggestion is simple.  Let it go.  Cos it will take a miracle to save that place.

Digster

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
A simple idea is that more people should use the shop. (And before anyone starts whingeing at me - I do use it).

Reading your newspapers on-line is one of the reasons that newsagents' shops are disappearing. Newspaper is easily re-cycled if readers can be bothered, so save a tree, buy a newspaper, keep a shop open. Simple really!

So you are advocating buying newspapers and recycling them but not having a paper bag on medication?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
The staff at Mccolls have been told the shop will be closing in October.  This will affect a lot of people in the community, especially older residents that have there papers delivered.  This shop is in a very good position and the staff are very efficient and friendly.  Marple needs this shop to stay open, I am looking for people to back the staff and keep it open, I am not sure what we can do, but I am sure someone will have some ideas.

sheila shaw

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »
I was not saying there are no retail options, I was pointing out that if you have poor mobility and don't have transport it is more convenient in the centre, especially if you have your papers delivered and need to go in to pay for them.  In the centre there is only Mccolls and Asda that sells papers and Asda do not deliver.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
You speak though as if there are no retail options in the centre of Marple. Clearly there are several. 

It must not be nice for the staff (I have been made redundant in the past, it is not a great experience) but the customers will find other options.  Asda is open longer than McColls and I am sure stocks everything McColls do.  It is only a few minutes walk away.  There will be a new convenience store opening at the end of Market Street at some point as well.  It's not a retail wasteland.
Most people will go in there for just  cigs lottery papers sweets .

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 07:27:14 AM »
Rose Hill is not in the centre of Marple, in my opinion that is why this shop is closing as they have taken over the Spar shop at Ross Hill, it is a case once again of a big company not thinking about customers or staff.

You speak though as if there are no retail options in the centre of Marple. Clearly there are several. 

It must not be nice for the staff (I have been made redundant in the past, it is not a great experience) but the customers will find other options.  Asda is open longer than McColls and I am sure stocks everything McColls do.  It is only a few minutes walk away.  There will be a new convenience store opening at the end of Market Street at some point as well.  It's not a retail wasteland.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »
Well it is tiny, and the prices aren't great.  And given there will be something opening up at the Albert Schools at some point...

Anyone wanting to have their paper delivered could try Marple News at Rose Hill.  I think they do delivery.

To correct myself, I meant Marple News opposite the Texaco garage, not Rose Hill.

sheila shaw

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:03 PM »
Rose Hill is not in the centre of Marple, in my opinion that is why this shop is closing as they have taken over the Spar shop at Ross Hill, it is a case once again of a big company not thinking about customers or staff.