Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: FLOODING  (Read 3701 times)

Howard

Re: FLOODING
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
No,  they were careful how much water was emptied from the dam and the Printer estate residents have been take off their two-hour warning.

PhilB

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
The Goyt was raging, did the printers estate actually flood?

wheels

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »
Even more stupid to buy on the flood plain.

mikes

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:11 PM »
It's the Printer's Estate in Strines. They are on a two hour warning to evacuate if the dam goes. We're on standby to put some friends up.

Stupid to build on the flood plain.

marpleexile

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
It was on the tv last night from marple bridge saying Marple bridge is a risk area wont happen now waters going down a lot at whaley .

The downstream areas are only risk free when the dam is no longer at risk of bursting (as opposed to leaking), as it would be the surge of water in one go that causes structural damage.

That said, I was always skeptical that Marple Bridge was in that much risk, as the force of the water would dissipate when once it had passed New Mills into the wider section of the valley.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
It's the Printer's Estate in Strines. They are on a two hour warning to evacuate if the dam goes. We're on standby to put some friends up.
It was on the tv last night from marple bridge saying Marple bridge is a risk area wont happen now waters going down a lot at whaley .

Howard

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 07:41:22 PM »

marpleexile

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
I note on the BBC website article about the Whaley Bridge incident the line "and there is concern nearby Marple, Stockport, is also at risk of flooding. ". Anyone know how or anything about this? I can't see anything on the flood alert website that hasn't been there for days and is at the lowest level for areas at the periphery of Marple.

I've seen this mentioned in a few places.

Best I can tell is that they are using "Marple" as a catch all term for Strines, Marple Bridge and Compstall - GMP put a post up saying they were with some Army bods warning residents of "Marple" of the risk of flooding, and the accompanying picture looked like it was actually taken in the new build estate in Strines.

Unless there's something unrelated to the Whaley dam issue, such as a problem with the canal?

Condate

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »
I note on the BBC website article about the Whaley Bridge incident the line "and there is concern nearby Marple, Stockport, is also at risk of flooding. ". Anyone know how or anything about this? I can't see anything on the flood alert website that hasn't been there for days and is at the lowest level for areas at the periphery of Marple.

marplerambler

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:39:06 PM »
IT doesnt help when grids are Blocked constable drive two grids on the hill going up from small car park lower fold some grids botom lower fold as well there .fed up with reporting this problem to councill ,
The Council's biggest problem with Constable Drive is that the Councillors ever allowed planning permission to get approval when the drainage from the roads was so woefully inadequate. A huge chunk of the Highways maintenance budget is Marple is continually being directed to frequently clearing the drains at Constable Drive. Huge profits will have been made by the building company who constructed the houses and road but once the road was adopted for maintenance by SMBC it has been a huge liability to the ratepayers of Marple. What is truly wrong is that the housebuilders could build such a poor drainage system, rub their hands with glee running all of the way to the bank then leave the Council Tax payers to pick up a bill for a problem that will never go away and that the houseowners were led to believe first by the initial builders and subsequently by the estate agents that the drainage was fit for purpose. Unsuspecting purchasers of the houses are paying the price of dreadful planning, despite constant complaints by residents the Council spends huge amounts of money continually clearing and repairing the drains and well as resurfacing the public rights of way at the bottom of Constable Drive/Lowry Drive which act as drainage channels for the surplus water from the road. It really highlights that cowboy builders have been able to run away dumping the costs of the consequences in the Council's lap.

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
Amazon says  fed up with reporting this problem to councill ,I agree with the sentiment.

I know the following is not life threatening, but it shows the attitude of those in authority who choose to do nothing.

It has taken ages to get the Council to replace the footbridge by Keg Pool in Etherow Country Park, and to get the Council to renovate the footpath alongside the river, yet despite several complaints they will not remove the fallen tree that has partly destroyed the path and is likely to raise the likelihood of the river overflowing in that area and so eventually sweep the path away altogether.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
On the current flooding, Stockport is being hit very hard. The council have elevated the situation and are getting additional help from Greater Manchester. There are numerous reported issues currently being handled both of domestic and highways flooding. The situation in Marple is getting worse and will do so before it gets better. Please all be vigilant and in case of any risk call out emergency services. If you look at this site: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings. there are two warnings for the Marple area defined as "Flooding is expected: immediate action required." Some but few properties are affected but if you're in one of them please act quickly. If there is any risk to life please call the emergency services direct and ask for fire services immediately. To access advice go to Stockport's Web site and access either via an entry of "flood line" or go via "Parking Roads and Travel" then Drainage and Flooding" then "Flooding". There is a lot here about support and about precautions to take, numbers to call. If you are at risk at all please read this as soon as you can. If you know of neighbours who may not be aware or do not have access to the internet, please consider warning them. If I can help in any way please get in touch, but the best I can do at present is refer you to the contacts and advice sources. Just to repeat, even though the rain has stopped here, the rivers will continue to rise for a good 12 hours or more. Please ensure you are safe and take no risks.
IT dosent help when grids are Blocked constable drive two grids on the hill going up from small car park lower fold some grids botom lower fold as well there .fed up with reporting this problem to councill ,

Malcolm Allan

FLOODING
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
On the current flooding, Stockport is being hit very hard. The council have elevated the situation and are getting additional help from Greater Manchester. There are numerous reported issues currently being handled both of domestic and highways flooding. The situation in Marple is getting worse and will do so before it gets better. Please all be vigilant and in case of any risk call out emergency services. If you look at this site: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings. there are two warnings for the Marple area defined as "Flooding is expected: immediate action required." Some but few properties are affected but if you're in one of them please act quickly. If there is any risk to life please call the emergency services direct and ask for fire services immediately. To access advice go to Stockport's Web site and access either via an entry of "flood line" or go via "Parking Roads and Travel" then Drainage and Flooding" then "Flooding". There is a lot here about support and about precautions to take, numbers to call. If you are at risk at all please read this as soon as you can. If you know of neighbours who may not be aware or do not have access to the internet, please consider warning them. If I can help in any way please get in touch, but the best I can do at present is refer you to the contacts and advice sources. Just to repeat, even though the rain has stopped here, the rivers will continue to rise for a good 12 hours or more. Please ensure you are safe and take no risks.