A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Marple residents being ripped off  (Read 1940 times)

marplerambler

Re: Marple residents being ripped off
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 11:26:04 PM »
I'm off to Bradford this weekend. It's £29 for a return ticket, going out on Saturday and coming back on Sunday

Or, I can get an advance from Manchester to Bradford for £5, and the return ticket for £5.50. Add in two singles between Manchester and Marple and it's still significantly less.

still the shareholders get GREAT results and it's all about the profits, not the service provided to the public isn't it?
Has anyone else noticed that Northern are advertising bargain Advance train fares on the rolling stock taking you between Rose Hill/Marple and Manchester but that the Advance fares are not available from stations on the Marple /Rose Hill lines or noticed that the Rose Hill line is the only line in Greater Manchester which does not have a Sunday service? The Sunday morning service I use from Marple to the Hope Valley is two carriages, standing room only at Marple ditto the afternoon return from Grindleford/Marple. Our trains are jam packed but we are certainly not getting a fair deal from Northern.

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »
I'm off to Bradford this weekend. It's £29 for a return ticket, going out on Saturday and coming back on Sunday

Or, I can get an advance from Manchester to Bradford for £5, and the return ticket for £5.50. Add in two singles between Manchester and Marple and it's still significantly less.

still the shareholders get GREAT results and it's all about the profits, not the service provided to the public isn't it?

Interesting sidenote to the whole profit thing...

Since it was taken over by Arriva, Northern Railway has never payed a single dividend to its owners, and is one of the rail franchises commonly believed by the industry to be at risk of being handed back.

And Transpennine Express owners First group expect to lose £110m over the life of their franchise.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
Idont no your wifes  age but if she is  a senior you could use a senior railcard .
Senior railcard is only worthwhile if you travel a lot by long distance rail.

nbt

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

andrewbowden

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »
Andrew

Hertfordshire (Hitchin) not Herefordshire and no, no mistake, checked three times by two different people

My mistake. Read too quickly!

Was it an advance ticket you were looking at by any chance?  Cos advance tickets are a pain.  They have all sorts of quotas and things.  The quota for a fare from Manchester may be taken, but Stockport may not be.  Some companies (like Transpennine) will only just advance tickets from stations they serve.  Other companies (like Virgin) offer advances from connecting stations.  Earlier this year I booked tickets to Edinburgh.  I found I could get a Virgin advance from Marple to Edinburgh.  But not a Transpennine advance.  It was infuriating.

I also note from BR Fares that LNWR offer Super Off Peak singles from Stockport, which are a lot cheaper.  But they don't offer them from Marple.  LNWR don't even run trains this north but it looks like they considered it worth their while to offer cheap tickets from Stockport as it's a big station.  But probably didn't think it was worthwhile offering them from anywhere else.  Or they could  not get agreement with Northern to offer those fares.

Basically you have the perfect example of "our fare system is stupid.". Train fares sadly are mess.

Personally if traveling South I always get the train from Stockport.  It's usually quicker to get the bus to Stockport than it is to get the train to Manchester.  Takes about half the time, and the buses are usually reliable.  But I also live close to the bus stop!

NeilCorrie

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
Just booked a ticket to Hertfordshire for my wife. Single from Marple station £102, single from Stockport £59. Strange how the Marple trains don't link with any service from Manchester which accesses the cheaper train. And so another car joins the road to take her!

You need to play the game when competing with train operators.
https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/

Marple to Hitchin, single, tomorrow, 12:10.  £101 via the usual nationalrail website.  £51 via trainsplit.

amazon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
Just booked a ticket to Hertfordshire for my wife. Single from Marple station £102, single from Stockport £59. Strange how the Marple trains don't link with any service from Manchester which accesses the cheaper train. And so another car joins the road to take her!
Idont no your wifes  age but if she is  a senior you could use a senior railcard .

corium

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »
PS Have now got some screen shots but a bit small to post here

corium

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
Andrew

Hertfordshire (Hitchin) not Herefordshire and no, no mistake, checked three times by two different people

andrewbowden

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
Obviously I don't know where in Herefordshire the ticket is for, but I took a look at brfares.com which is a publicly accessible copy of the rail fares database.

It lists an anytime single from Marple to Hereford as being £57.20 with no route or time restrictions.  So a similar fare is certainly available.
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=MPL&dest=HFD

I do see a first class single at £110.  Is it possible you (or whoever looked up the price) made an error and were seeing first class fares?

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
Obviously I don't know where in Herefordshire the ticket is for, but I took a look at brfares.com which is a publicly accessible copy of the rail fares database.

It lists an anytime single from Marple to Hereford as being £57.20 with no route or time restrictions.  So a similar fare is certainly available.
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=MPL&dest=HFD

I do see a first class single at £110.  Is it possible you made an error and were seeing first class fares?

corium

Marple residents being ripped off
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »