Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Tour of Britain passes through Marple: September 14, 2019

Author Topic: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]  (Read 20279 times)

marpleexile

Re: Tour of Britain (Stage 8) passes through Marple [14 September 2019]
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
I think that the Tour of Britain are relatively good with it being a rolling road closure, rather than the whole route being closed for most of the day.

However, Stockport is a traffic nightmare at the best of times, and the route takes it across some of the main roads in and out of the area, so even relatively short closures will have a big traffic impact.

Condate

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
Thanks. My sister was due to visit me that day, so I wondered how early she would have to come to avoid the closures. Probably best if I rearrange for another weekend.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
Do we know where and when the road closures will be? Is there a list available?

This is the route, from an earlier post, so these are the roads that will be closed:

What's the exact route of the Tour of Britain through Marple?

Been trying to work out the Tour of Britain exact route through High Lane, Marple and Romiley.

Looks like A6 > Carr Brow > Wybersley Rd > The Ridge > Church Lane >  Hibbert Lane > Stockport Road > Station Road > Brabyns Brow > Lower Fold > Compstall Rd > Cowlishaw Rd > Werneth Low Rd and off to Gee Cross and Hyde. 

And these are the timings of the event (so it's likely that the roads will be closed from mid-morning until mid-afternoon) but haven't yet seen any details of road closure timings:

The Stage 8 Timetable for the Tour of Britain is now available

This shows that the Tour should pass through High Lane, Marple and Werneth Low between approximately 11.45am and 12.16pm.

For the central location of Hibbert Lane the timing is approx 11.58am to 12.08pm.

I'm also advised that when they pass if you blink you'll miss it!

Anyway, below is the full timetable as a pdf plus a couple of snapshots of the local section timings.

Here's a link to an online version: https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stage-eight-timetable/

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
Do we know where and when the road closures will be? Is there a list available?

CTCREP

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
The information below is from Stockport MBC.  There will be some traffic disruption but, as has been seen from elsewhere, the overall benefit will outweigh the slight inconvenience and help Stockport, and particularly Marple in raising its profile.

WITH less than a month to go until the world’s finest cyclists race through Stockport’s streets, the build-up to the event is gathering pace.

The final stage of the Tour of Britain will come to the borough on Saturday, September 14, with Stockport featuring in the stage that begins in Altrincham and finishes in the centre of Manchester.

As it enters Stockport, the route will take in Woodford, Bramhall, Hazel Grove, High Lane, Marple, Marple Bridge, Compstall and Werneth Low.

The borough is lucky enough to be staging an ‘Eisberg Sprint’ on Jacksons Lane in Hazel Grove, as well as a ‘Skoda King of the Mountains’ section as the race heads up Werneth Low from Compstall.

Two event hubs have been set up along the ‘sprint section’ on Jacksons Lane with Life Leisure Hazel Grove and Hazel Grove High School both putting on a host of cycling-related activities.

‘Life Leisure Hazel Grove will be staging a family fun open day from 10am until 3pm, which will include a cycling ‘Peak Power’ Watt Bike challenge and an outdoor spin class that will be held as the riders fly by. There will also be plenty of fun activities for the kids including a bouncy castle, teddy bear picnic and penalty shoot-out.

Hazel Grove High School is also joining in with a ‘Beat the Pros’ cycle event, penalty shoot-out, three BikeRight courses, an official viewing area, plus hot and cold food available for spectators to enjoy.

The school is also working on a ‘Land Art’ installation, which will be captured by the Tour of Britain’s broadcast helicopter. The school hopes it will prove to be a big hit with viewers watching on home on ITV4 and Eurosport, who will be covering the event.

Community groups in High Lane and Marple will also be hand to help give the cyclists a big, warm, Stockport welcome by waving flags and creating cycling-themed banners and other artwork.

Mr Marple

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
Marple and surounding areas will be heaving .helicoptors cameras tv as well .

I imagine TV Cameras on motorcycles, the type you get to see when filming the Olympics.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 06:19:02 AM »
Small grants for community groups to create banners for the Tour of Britain

As we know, MARPLE will witness some of the world’s top cyclists as the Tour of Britain powers its way through our streets in September.

Beginning in Glasgow on September 7, the eight-day Tour of Britain race will see the world’s top teams and riders compete in a 1,250-kilometre route through the south of Scotland, England’s North East and North West and the Heart of England.

The finale on Saturday, September 14, will see the route wind its way through Stockport as part of the final Altrincham to Manchester stage.

As it enters Stockport, the route will take in Marple, as well as Woodford, Bramhall, Hazel Grove, High Lane and Compstall.

Stockport Borough Council is encouraging residents to come out and watch the race as it visits the borough.

Community groups and schoolchildren will be helping to give the cyclists a big, warm, Stockport welcome by waving flags and creating cycling-themed banners and other artwork.

Cycling events will also be taking place in various sections of the route, with an ‘events hub’ being staged at Hazel Grove High School and Life Leisure Hazel Grove.

The council has allocated a small amount of money to help community groups along the route purchase materials to create banners and artwork. 

For further information and an application form, please email tob@stockport.gov.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 05:58:57 AM »
The Stage 8 Timetable for the Tour of Britain is now available

This shows that the Tour should pass through High Lane, Marple and Werneth Low between approximately 11.45am and 12.16pm.

For the central location of Hibbert Lane the timing is approx 11.58am to 12.08pm.

I'm also advised that when they pass if you blink you'll miss it!

Anyway, below is the full timetable as a pdf plus a couple of snapshots of the local section timings.

Here's a link to an online version: https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stage-eight-timetable/

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Henry_

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
I don't envy them cycling up Werneth Low. I'm really good at riding a bike (have been doing it for about 40 years) and even I have to get off and push going up there, so I suspect they'll have to do the same.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »
There is a nice little promotional video about the Tour of Britain, which passes through Marple on Saturday 14 September.

The route, which we had a very good guess at in May, is now fully detailed too: https://gpx2kml.com/map/k5emln0kq

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Perish the thought that taxpayers would contribute to anything that might bring joy and excitement into the mundane lives of Marple residents.
no cost to tax payers of Marple

amazon

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
I hope the roads for the whole route will be inspected and repaired where necessary. Yesterday saw Marianne Vos retire from the Women's tour due to a poor road surface

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48613504
Marple and surounding areas will be heaving .helicoptors cameras tv as well .

nbt

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
I hope the roads for the whole route will be inspected and repaired where necessary. Yesterday saw Marianne Vos retire from the Women's tour due to a poor road surface

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48613504
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 08:04:14 AM »
Good morning

This issue was raised last Thursday at the Council Economy and Regeneration scrutiny meeting. It appears to have been very well received in the Borough and at a local level around Marple also.We will be meeting again soon, I will update this site with any information should it come up in meetings or by email.

Kind regards

Steve

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
It usually costs a council money to host a stage, to host a stage next year Cornwall are budgeting on it costing £345,000 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/what-hosting-tour-britain-could-2210249
It is seen as money well spent as it brings in far more money into the local community than it costs.

That's an interesting link and good to see that Cornwall are being transparent about the costs in 2020. I'm not against some of my council tax payment being used for this (if it is) but I would expect it to be transparent and there be a business plan / justification for whatever is being spent. I haven't been able to find such a thing for the Manchester stage on-line and I think it's a shame that this is not easy to find, if it exists, so that we can all judge whether we think it's a good or bad way to spend public money.

In Nottingham this article reckons that a spend of 260k brought in a £3.4M economic boost to the area in 2017:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/tour-britain-coming-back-area-1333314
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website