RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 22014 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
Hazel Grove Park and Ride is also being used for a free shuttle bus to Lymm Park on Sundays and Bank Holidays
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lyme/features/free-bus-service-from-local-park-and-ride-to-lyme

Not a massive use to Marple residents, but is an example of things you can do.

jimblob

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
And let's be honest, buses are not the ideal solution. Look at what has happened at Hazel Grove, where there was a huge investment in that park-and-ride car scheme, intended to persuade motorists to leave their cars and catch a 192 bus into Stockport or Manchester.   It just hasn't worked, and the car park is mostly empty (and so are the buses), because people simply don't want to go on a bus if they can help it.
Has anyone ever been on the 192, it's depressing!
I have to say though, the park and ride in Hazel Grove was a great place to start to teach my daughter how to drive before she passed her test and bought a car.... YES, another car on the road!
Even using the Park & Ride for FREE parking to Stepping Hill with a shuttle bus for staff would be a better use of the space. Our hardworking NHS staff shouldn't have to pay to park at work

Dave

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2019, 05:19:05 PM »
Reliable public transport could be an option! What’s that saying about busses, you wait for ages for one to come along then three turn up at once!

The problem with arguing that if buses were more reliable people would leave their cars at home, is that buses are unreliable (as andrewbowden points out) at peak times when the traffic is heavy.   So people will have to leave their cars at home first in order for the buses to become more reliable.  It's classic chicken-and-egg! 

And let's be honest, buses are not the ideal solution. Look at what has happened at Hazel Grove, where there was a huge investment in that park-and-ride car scheme, intended to persuade motorists to leave their cars and catch a 192 bus into Stockport or Manchester.   It just hasn't worked, and the car park is mostly empty (and so are the buses), because people simply don't want to go on a bus if they can help it.   But the big 'double-deck' car park at Hazel Grove station is full, because trains are quicker and more reliable than buses, so people will use them 

It puzzles me why the car park across the road at Marple station can't be extended - there's a huge area of unused rough grass at the back. If there were more capacity there, surely more people would park there and use the trains.   

amazon

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
The other issue is affordability.  You can drive into Stockport in the evening and park for free, or pay £4.80 for a return journey on the bus per adult.  The cost doesn't encourage people to use public transport at the moment, which needs to be addressed.
If you are a regular user 0f Busses you would buy a weekly tck .

Newbie1

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
The other issue is affordability.  You can drive into Stockport in the evening and park for free, or pay £4.80 for a return journey on the bus per adult.  The cost doesn't encourage people to use public transport at the moment, which needs to be addressed. 

wheels

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
I think the buses in marple and stockport keep very well to time this is another myth that they all come together.

andrewbowden

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
Reliable public transport could be an option! What’s that saying about busses, you wait for ages for one to come along then three turn up at once!

Personally I have found the buses in Marple to be pretty reliable most of the time.  Only time it becomes an issue is when the traffic is bad.  When there are too many cars  Like rush hour...

Jay

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »

Newbie1

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
There was a really interesting talk from Chris Boardman, Cycling and Walking commissioner at the GM Green Summit on Monday.  He showed what is possible when appropriate infrastructure to support cycling and walking is in place. 

One of the things he said is that 25% of cars on the road are travelling distances of less than 1km.  One of the reasons for this is that people do not feel safe walking because of dangerous junctions etc.  He showed how these could easily be sorted out with road markings, which currently the government doesn't allow. Hopefully this will change soon. Simple, cheap actions to make pedestrians and cyclists feel safer could make a huge difference to congestion on our roads.

jimblob

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
But by your own admission, motorists ARE the root cause of our transport woes
I don't recall stating this anywhere either. The crux of my argument is that motorists are unfairly blamed (as you are doing now) as being the root cause. Every road "Improvement" made by Stockport highways is in favour of pedestrians and cyclists and typically penalises the motorist or is simply so badly conceived it fails to ameliorate congestion, sometimes making it worse. Many simply cannot, as you suggest...
chose to walk or cycle or get the bus or the train or car share or e-work then you wouldn’t have the congestion
as this is not a practical option. The general strategy appears to be to make choosing the car less and less favourable but this is being done without providing any viable alternatives first. Put the alternatives in place first, BEFORE you turn our roads into a no-go zone for motorists. Then and only then can you blame motorists for being the root cause of the problem if they STILL choose their car over other forms of transport.
Again, please read my first post to this thread, I frequently use public transport or walk and have taken a conscious decision to NOT run a car!

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 07:14:29 AM »
At no point have I said anyone should be at the bottom of the pile. Can I ask that you read my first post to this thread  way back when it was set up where I explain that I also am a pedestrian and user of public transport. I'm simply objecting to the constant persecution of the motorist as the bad guy and the root cause of our transport woes when such accusations are unfounded, unjustified and wholly unfair
But by your own admission, motorists ARE the root cause of our transport woes - as there are too many of them on our roads at busy times, all driving their metal box (generally as single occupants) and causing congestion. If more of them chose to walk or cycle or get the bus or the train or car share or e-work then you wouldn’t have the congestion and queues and therefore nothing to moan about.

If you actually break it down, a large chunk of most drivers during peak hours are making journeys to work that don’t make a great deal of sense (in terms of location of origin and destination) and which are only possible because they have a car and so can make the journey. For them to complain that it’s then hard to make that journey, because of the thousands of others also making similar trips and clogging up the roads is an odd notion.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

jimblob

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
At no point have I said anyone should be at the bottom of the pile. Can I ask that you read my first post to this thread  way back when it was set up where I explain that I also am a pedestrian and user of public transport. I'm simply objecting to the constant persecution of the motorist as the bad guy and the root cause of our transport woes when such accusations are unfounded, unjustified and wholly unfair

andrewbowden

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2019, 10:33:12 PM »
Where did I state I expected to be at the top of the pile? I simply object to have been placed at the bottom by WHEELS

Okay, why do you think you shouldn't be at the bottom of the pile?  Why do you think some other "group" should be at the bottom of the pile?

Although the notion of "group" is a bit absurd given people sit in multiple boxes.  E.g. in the course of a week I am a pedestrian, a motorist and - sometimes - a cyclist.

jimblob

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
Where did I state I expected to be at the top of the pile? I simply object to have been placed at the bottom by WHEELS

andrewbowden

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
Exactly my point... general taxation. (I made no reference to road fund license) If I can't get to work because I'm stuck in a traffic jam, I can't pay the significant amount of income tax and council tax that pays for the very infrastructure I rely on. So it's rather frustrating when Stockport highways team (and others) waste money trying to do "the right thing", put me at the bottom of the pile and still manage to continually mess up.

But what gives you the right to be top of the pile?  Why is what you want more important than anyone elses needs?

Other people have to get to work, or to other places.  They do it by car, by bus, bike, foot, whatever.  Everyone has places to get to.  Everyone thinks their needs are the most important.