Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 21998 times)

jimblob

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
it's paid for out of general taxation.
Exactly my point... general taxation. (I made no reference to road fund license) If I can't get to work because I'm stuck in a traffic jam, I can't pay the significant amount of income tax and council tax that pays for the very infrastructure I rely on. So it's rather frustrating when Stockport highways team (and others) waste money trying to do "the right thing", put me at the bottom of the pile and still manage to continually mess up.

wheels

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »
No it's not Jimblob it's important to do the right thing not argue that those with money should have a louder voice. Just about everywhere else in the world pedestrians are at the top of the tree and the and motorist at the bottom when it come to traffic management. Why do you and some British individuals resist his. Road space belongs to us all, it's paid for out of general taxation. Road Fund Tax was abolished in the 1930s. You probably remember it,

jimblob

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
Excellent post Belly. I think what we have to get people to accept is that there is a hierarchy of road space users being Pedestrians, Horse riders, cyclists,  public transport and at the bottom of the pile the private motorists.  Too often currently motorists think they should have priority there is an education process required to get motorists to understand that traffic management is not all about them.
An interesting hierarchy suggestion there Wheels, I very much suspect however, that the private motorist, is more often than not commuting to work to pay their tax and makes up by far the largest contributor to the very infrastructure we all rely on. Always important to remember who pays the bills!

wheels

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 11:13:20 PM »
Excellent post Belly. I think what we have to get people to accept is that there is a hierarchy of road space users being Pedestrians, Horse riders, cyclists,  public transport and at the bottom of the pile the private motorists.  Too often currently motorists think they should have priority there is an education process required to get motorists to understand that traffic management is not all about them.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Bloody Roundabouts - seemingly the motorists panacea for everything!

Roundabouts only work if they are big and they are very space hungry - the smallest 'proper' roundabout being 28m in diametre. Try fitting that anywhere in Marple Town Centre. They are also a nightmare for pedestrians - yet again car is king. Mini-roundabouts rarely work well where capacity on all approaches is an issue.

The reason why the swimming bath lights and Hollins lights conflict? Pedestrians using the crossings at the Hollins and taking away 'green time' for traffic at that junction. Ban pedestrians I say, getting in the way of our cars!

Marple is always going to struggle traffic wise. It only has three roads in and out and only one in the direction of where people want to travel to / from at rush hour. A chunk of the town is also quite hilly, making the bike a difficult choice for some. That said, the traffic is not really all that bad outside of peak hours. So my view is, if you want to live here and work miles away then either get in the queue that you are adding to, or try to work from home more regularly, or choose a work destination that can be accessed by train.

No point moaning about problems that we are all creating ourselves. And no point trying to pull up the drawbridge to new housing / development just to those of us who are lucky enough to already live here to carrying on making collectively poor travel choices.

That said - any new travel infrastructure would be welcome, beit Beelines, tram / trains, Brinning curve, etc. Always better to supply the carrots before applying the stick, but unfortunately Westminster doesn't seem to like investing in the north.

Two more thoughts over the last week, again conscious of what would be relatively cheap.

Do we need quite as many sets of traffic lights in the centre or could at least one set be replaced by a roundabout - perhaps the set in the middle near the baths? Wouldn't affect pedestrians per se. as their crossings would remain.  I think that the set by Asda might be better but recognise these do allow pedestrians to cross. Just thinking in terms of the effect of stop/ start traffic on the overall flow vs keeping it moving slowly but more regularly which is part of the thinking behind SMART motorways.

If we do get some form of Metrolink will it actually reduce the traffic flow...or will it encourage more people to drive into Marple to pick it up? Just a thought!
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

wheels

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »

If we do get some form of Metrolink will it actually reduce the traffic flow...or will it encourage more people to drive into Marple to pick it up? Just a thought!

Or drive out of Marple to engage with heavy rail thus also creating extra car journeys. .

jimblob

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
Two more thoughts over the last week, again conscious of what would be relatively cheap.

Do we need quite as many sets of traffic lights in the centre or could at least one set be replaced by a roundabout - perhaps the set in the middle near the baths? Wouldn't affect pedestrians per se. as their crossings would remain.  I think that the set by Asda might be better but recognise these do allow pedestrians to cross. Just thinking in terms of the effect of stop/ start traffic on the overall flow vs keeping it moving slowly but more regularly which is part of the thinking behind SMART motorways.

And a good one!, the fewer traffic lights the better i.m.o.

corium

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »

Howard

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
@wheels Still waiting...

Dave

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
And you can't go to the loo in your car either, wheels!   ;D

Entertaining as always Dave but wrong on this occasion,

Well you have got a well-equipped vehicle, wheels........   8)

Howard

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
Oh dear Howard oh goodness me.

That's all right...take your time in answering. We can wait ;)

andrewbowden

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2019, 03:46:12 PM »

Well that's me convinced!  Infrequent heavy rail it should be!  Death to Metrolink!

wheels

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »

Howard

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:29 PM »
Entertaining as always Dave but wrong on this occasion,  which I admit is unusual,  but on this train/tram  I urge you and Andrew to reconsider for it is a truly dreadful idea.

And, as usual, @wheels declares something with no reason or evidence given. If it's so dreadful, please enlighten us as to why that is.

wheels

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »
Entertaining as always Dave but wrong on this occasion,  which I admit is unusual,  but on this train/tram  I urge you and Andrew to reconsider for it is a truly dreadful idea.