Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 22048 times)

Dave

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
Train tram which thankfully has been kicked into the long grass

Oh no it hasn't - it's alive and kicking, and the trials in South Yorkshire have been under way, and running successfully, for about four months now. See https://www.metro-report.com/news/single-view/view/tram-train-service-to-rotherham-launched.html, and http://www.sypte.co.uk/tramtrain/

That is a two year trial, after which it will be assessed for possible wider application. So don't hold your breath - it will take time. But it's certainly not in any 'long grass'.

Re the entertaining debate between Andrew and Wheels, the lack of toilets on trams and tram trains is surely a complete red herring.  Every day in London and elsewhere, thousands of people travel long journeys on the tube without any difficulty. For example, central London to Heathrow (which no doubt many of us have done), is a one-hour journey.   Marple to Stockport will be about 20 minutes. Sure, there will always be a few people with special medical conditions for whom that is not possible, but for the vast majority (including us 'old wrinklies') it is a non-issue.

As for this: 
I and I suspect many others would drive to Stockport to catch a train to Manchester rather than be subject to train/tram.

.... that's what we are forced to do at the moment, and it's rubbish! To catch an early train from Stockport I have to leave home about an hour beforehand.  And you can't go to the loo in your car either, wheels!   ;D

wheels

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »
Perhaps they are not coping in those areas I might suggest make up many of the daytime drivers.  Certainly I and I suspect many others would drive to Stockport to catch a train to Manchester rather than be subject to train/tram.

andrewbowden

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »

We old wrinklies have different needs Andrews, you have such pleasures to come. 😂

Well all I can say is that I have absolutely no idea how all the old people that travel long distances by bus with their free pass, cope.  Nor those who travel by London Underground (no toilets), or Merseyrail (no toilets), or indeed any major metro system anywhere in the world.

wheels

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 06:03:18 AM »
Your so tight Andrew. The journey time from Shaw to Manchester changed from 17 mins to 58 mins following the introduction of the tram on their line. Certainly I during my treatment at Christies could not have done the journey to manchester without the toilets on the trains.

We old wrinklies have different needs Andrews, you have such pleasures to come. 😂

andrewbowden

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
Of course we can only look in wonder at the utter disaster that is the Metrolink network with its lack of toilets and cycle facilities.  Completely unused.  Runs around empty all the time.  You know, they run trams every SIX minutes on most of the lines, yet no one ever uses them!  Empty, every single one.  See, if only they'd had toilets...

Still, it means I always get a seat when I'm travelling to MediaCity...

andrewbowden

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »
Train-tram kicked into the long grass?

That's funny as it's part of the recently published Greater Manchester Draft Delivery Plan 2020-2025
https://www.tfgm.com/2040/delivery-plan-2020-2025

Still, hey, let's be honest.  Who on earth would want a Metrolink service running with at most a 12 minute frequency, running seven days a week, with services running late into the night, when they can have heavy trains running at most every 30 minutes, but that just happen to have toilets on them.  Because toilets are essential on a journey to the city that is at most 30 minutes long. Not that they're any use on a Sunday at Rose Hill cos there's no trains on Sundays from Rose Hill because - de, de, dah!, Northern Rail don't think there's enough demand to justify running them!

And you're right.  People will completely avoid such a high frequency service in order to drive to Manchester.  Especially given driving to Manchester takes only 30 minutes from Marple.  I mean, it's a no-brainer really isn't it?  Car's much faster.  And everyone's car has toilets too!

wheels

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
if schools started later – say 9.30am –

Ah so you want to trample over teaching staffs nationally agreed terms and condition. Have fun with that.What

I would do is make sure that the existing roads we have are well maintained.

How would you do this much of the budgets are centrally allocated over which you would have no control.

Train tram which thankfully has been kicked into the long grass is just about the worst think imaginable for encouraging the Marple public onto public transport it would result in much longer journey times, no cycle carriage facilities and no toilets. It would certain mean that many of us old wrinklies would drive to Manchester or to Disley or Stockport for a train.

Newbie1

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting a response to this.  I’ll start by saying that I’m not anti-car, and I acknowledge that there are always going to be journeys that need to be made by car. The problem is that there are far too many of them on the roads.  We now have only 11 years at the most to become carbon neutral if we are to prevent catastrophic climate breakdown (IPCC report 2018). We need massive investment in green public transport that is affordable and accessible as well as investment in safe cycling and walking routes. 
At a local level, I would:
Push for tram-trains to be introduced to Marple, with a link via Stockport, much sooner than was suggested in the SEMMS refresh document last year.
Support 20’s Plenty Schemes in residential areas which have been shown to decrease air pollution (unlike speed humps which increase it) and save lives when enforced.
Encourage Park and Stride schemes and road closures on certain roads during school drop-off and pick-up times.  There is increasing evidence that teenagers in particular are more receptive to learning later in the day.  If schools started later – say 9.30am – children could walk and cycle to school when the roads are quieter and the air is less toxic.  Those travelling by bus and car would have quicker journeys as they wouldn’t be stuck in rush hour traffic.  1 in 5 cars travelling in rush hour are doing the school run, so getting these off the road has to be a priority.
Encourage enforcement for pavement parking and other parking offences.  Advocate that Stockport Council introduces fines for cars parked with their engines running, particularly around schools, to improve air quality.  These measures would enhance the experience of pedestrians and encourage people to walk.
Investigate the possibility of a local shuttle bus scheme around the immediate area.  A major problem in Marple and Mellor which causes car dependency for many is the hills.  A more frequent, localized bus service would help those with reduced mobility and other health conditions to leave their cars at home and shop locally.  Marple centre is good, but it has the potential to be great.  People who arrive by foot in high streets tend to spend 6 times more than those who arrive by car.  (See Living Streets website)  Any measures that support people to leave their cars at home will boost the economy in Marple, and make it an even better place to live. 
 Encourage people to work from home where possible, and support the development of co-working spaces in Marple. 
Encourage car-share schemes
I would certainly not be voting for the A6-M60 bypass or any other major road schemes.  What I would do is make sure that the existing roads we have are well maintained.
Clearly this is not an exhaustive list, and I would work with colleagues and residents to find the most appropriate solutions to the issues we face in Marple. 

adventurer_marple

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
I have recently seen more enforcement of the double yellow lines on Fern close near hollins lane. I have seen the same traffic warden on numerous occasions. People just park up without a care in the world and go over to Asda. There has been a few tickets issued.

wheels

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 10:08:00 PM »
In those 15 mins most vehicles are sitting there engines idling spewing out pollution. Not ideal for people in nearby houses, or those walking or cycling past.

I certainly accept that a perfectly valid point. My point however is that most of us seem to think that our own time is much more valuable than it really is.

marpleexile

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Unusually I had to drive back into Marple yesterday during rush hour and the traffic was stacked back to just after the petrol station and Spice Tower Indian Restaurant.  It took me about 15 minutes to get home  shuffling slowly along.  I thought is this really such an inconvenience, what is so important that 15 minutes delay matters, what have I got to do that's so important.  A slight delay like this hardly merits the world is coming to an end Marple is gridlocked chants of some. It's just a very mild inconvenience we ought not to get it out of proportion.

15 minutes as an occasional one off is a mild inconvenience. But if you have to do it daily (and most who do, will also have to do it going the other way in a morning), it's at least 2.5 hours a week, which is 130 hours a year. In other words, the equivalent of 16 work days sat in traffic a year!

Cyberman

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
Unusually I had to drive back into Marple yesterday during rush hour and the traffic was stacked back to just after the petrol station and Spice Tower Indian Restaurant.  It took me about 15 minutes to get home  shuffling slowly along.  I thought is this really such an inconvenience, what is so important that 15 minutes delay matters, what have I got to do that's so important.  A slight delay like this hardly merits the world is coming to an end Marple is gridlocked chants of some. It's just a very mild inconvenience we ought not to get it out of proportion.
In those 15 mins most vehicles are sitting there engines idling spewing out pollution. Not ideal for people in nearby houses, or those walking or cycling past.

wheels

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »

bat man

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
The traffic lights at the junction of Hibbert lane and Stockport road are out of sync with the lights at the junction of Hollins lane,this causes tail backs,can they be retuned.👍👍

wheels

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »

Also add that a special pet hate of mine is the constant parking on the double yellow lines outside of the Golden Dragon on Hollins Lane. These people are seemingly incapable of parking in the Asda car park and crossing the road to get their takeaways. It causes constant issues for traffic and I have never known it to be policed.

Agree with you 100% also people parking in the same way outside Archers they just make it difficult and dangerous for people to cross the road.