Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Pharmacies.  (Read 4853 times)

amazon

Re: Pharmacies.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:06 PM »
Durr - I go shopping with a basket! If you have huge quantities of prescription stuff then accept a bag once and take it to be re-used the next time you have a prescription.

I've done that frequently. Eventually you have to discard the bag and accept another but it's better than throwing away perfectly good reusable bags every time you go to the chemists.

Perhaps I was well trained. When I was a little girl in the 1950s I often stayed with my Aunt and when we went shopping to the Co-op she took her pre-used paper bags to be re-used for her purchases - I now realise that this was a hang-over from WW2.

"Waste  not, Want not"
You Dont read Marple website very often do you .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »
True but suposed you have twenty items and some do is it not more conveniant to put in bag its easy for the chemist
Durr - I go shopping with a basket! If you have huge quantities of prescription stuff then accept a bag once and take it to be re-used the next time you have a prescription.

I've done that frequently. Eventually you have to discard the bag and accept another but it's better than throwing away perfectly good reusable bags every time you go to the chemists.

Perhaps I was well trained. When I was a little girl in the 1950s I often stayed with my Aunt and when we went shopping to the Co-op she took her pre-used paper bags to be re-used for her purchases - I now realise that this was a hang-over from WW2.

"Waste  not, Want not"

amazon

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
If everyone did the same there would have been a lot saved.
True but suposed you have twenty items and some do is it not more conveniant to put in bag its easy for the chemist

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
So by doing that what did you save .
If everyone did the same there would have been a lot saved.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 01:19:05 PM »
Success! Yesterday I went to fill my repeat prescription (meds for arthritis and reflux - not for my failing brane :) ) to the chemists on the Hollins and asked them not to put the packets in a paper bag. It confused the counter assisitant a bit but the pharmacist was OK with it and I got my wish.
So by doing that what did you save .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
Success! Yesterday I went to fill my repeat prescription (meds for arthritis and reflux - not for my failing brane :) ) to the chemists on the Hollins and asked them not to put the packets in a paper bag. It confused the counter assisitant a bit but the pharmacist was OK with it and I got my wish.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Recently replenished Rosie's supply of Whiskas cat food and came across Terracycle a company who will re-cycle Whiskas cat food sachets (and probably other brands). They have a collection point in Marple (email to find out where). Google for the web-site

amazon

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 07:33:11 PM »
I re-use paper bags, as often as possible but it eventually becomes useless. And do you really believe that all that stuff that we are carefully sorting at home actually gets re-cycled?

Incidentally, it has become apparent that most tea-bags are non-recyleable due to manufacturing issues concerning what we think is paper? They shouldn't be put in with the normal waste card and paper because they can render the whole shebang un-recyclable? Tetley, PG Tips, Yorkshire tea and some Twinings' products are among the guilty. It seems Aldi isn't guilty.

And before you suggest that we refrain from drinking tea the same applies to coffee bags.

Loose tea and coffee is the way to go - the remains cam go on the compost heap..
Whats wrong with putting them on the garden

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Teabags should never go in paper bin.  They go in the food waste bin for composting.  They can handle the plastic bits.

I became aware of the plastic issue last year and personally now get plastic free ones.  And they now go on my garden compost bin! 

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »
Why are you not recycling your pharmacy bags?  I certainly do.
I re-use paper bags, as often as possible but it eventually becomes useless. And do you really believe that all that stuff that we are carefully sorting at home actually gets re-cycled?

Incidentally, it has become apparent that most tea-bags are non-recyleable due to manufacturing issues concerning what we think is paper? They shouldn't be put in with the normal waste card and paper because they can render the whole shebang un-recyclable? Tetley, PG Tips, Yorkshire tea and some Twinings' products are among the guilty. It seems Aldi isn't guilty.

And before you suggest that we refrain from drinking tea the same applies to coffee bags.

Loose tea and coffee is the way to go - the remains cam go on the compost heap..

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
And all those bags end up in land fill

Why are you not recycling your pharmacy bags?  I certainly do. 

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 04:40:52 PM »
And that factory employs people that are paid to spend on food and pay there bills .
And all those bags end up in land fill

ringi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
I think legally two people have to check the correct drugs are being given out.     This is hard to do if the drugs are not sealed into something as part of the checking process.

Also often the person who hands over the paper bag is not qualified to dispense drugs, but only give out a sealed bag of drugs that have already been dispensed.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Went into the chemist's today to pick up a prescription. Handed over the scrip and while I was waiting I could see all the other prescriptions waiting to go out - all in paper bags. Thought about it a bit and then asked the counter assistant if I could have my order without a paper bag. "No", was the firm reply, "it has to go in a bag".

A few minutes later the pharmacist's assistant arrived with my order sealed in a bag with my name, etc., on it. He glared at me and said "Do you want it without the bag?". Sadly, I pointed out that taking the contents out of the bag which already had a stick-on lable with my name and address and the pharmacy's name and address on it so couldn't be re-used for anyone else, really defeated the object.

That pharmacy alone must use 100s of paper bags a day. I KNOW that the bags are made from re-cycled paper "using a totally chlorine-free process" but it still has to use a factory to do it - and the factory needs to use enormous quantities of water, electricity, etc., and must throw out a lot of waste from the used paper they are processing.

OK, rant over. Suffice it to say that the next time I take a prescription to be filled, I'll take this bag with me and insist they re-use it for my order.
And that factory employs people that are paid to spend on food and pay there bills .

My login is Henrietta

Pharmacies.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
Went into the chemist's today to pick up a prescription. Handed over the scrip and while I was waiting I could see all the other prescriptions waiting to go out - all in paper bags. Thought about it a bit and then asked the counter assistant if I could have my order without a paper bag. "No", was the firm reply, "it has to go in a bag".

A few minutes later the pharmacist's assistant arrived with my order sealed in a bag with my name, etc., on it. He glared at me and said "Do you want it without the bag?". Sadly, I pointed out that taking the contents out of the bag which already had a stick-on lable with my name and address and the pharmacy's name and address on it so couldn't be re-used for anyone else, really defeated the object.

That pharmacy alone must use 100s of paper bags a day. I KNOW that the bags are made from re-cycled paper "using a totally chlorine-free process" but it still has to use a factory to do it - and the factory needs to use enormous quantities of water, electricity, etc., and must throw out a lot of waste from the used paper they are processing.

OK, rant over. Suffice it to say that the next time I take a prescription to be filled, I'll take this bag with me and insist they re-use it for my order.