Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Carolyn Leather: Green Party Candidate for Marple North 2019  (Read 4359 times)

Newbie1

Re: Carolyn Leather: Green Party Candidate for Marple North 2019
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 09:28:04 AM »
Polling day is here!  Green councillors are making a big difference all over the country, and there has never been a greater need to have a Green on Stockport Council.  Protecting the environment and the most vulnerable in our society will be the principles that I base my decision making upon if elected.  If you want to see positive changes in our area, then please vote Green today. 

Newbie1

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »
Details of all of Stockport Green Party's candidates can be viewed here:

https://stockport.greenparty.org.uk/local-candidates/

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply Carolyn, i appreciate it.

Kind regards

Steve

Newbie1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »
@Steve Gribbon you have asked several times why I was not at the recent Marple Area Committee meeting.  My whereabouts on Wednesday evenings really is a private matter, but given that you are so intrigued by this, I will enlighten you.

I do watch most of the meetings online, but you are correct, I have not attended a meeting in person for some time.  The last meeting I attended was a couple of summers ago when there was a noticeable spike in crime and anti-social behaviour in the area.  Members of the community were discussing the crimes in the "SK6 Watch" group and following the vicious assaults on two young men, I felt compelled to take some action.  With the permission of the group, I documented the crimes reported in the group over a number of months and presented the information to the police, MP and all Stockport Councillors. I discussed the issues at the Marple Area Committee meeting and I'm pleased to say that following interventions by the police after that meeting, things quitened down in the area dramatically.

I have caring responsibilities which is why I choose to watch the Area Committee meetings online.  My partner works long hours and is usually not home in time for me to go to early evening meetings.  Rest assured, I have a childcare plan in place and withstanding unforeseen circumstances, I will be present at all Committee meetings if elected, and I will be totally committed to the role.  One of my interests is encouraging people from minority and other oppressed groups to enter politics so that our councils represent more closely the communities that they represent. Only a third of Stockport council is made up of women, and I may be wrong, but I think that there is not a single BAME Councillor.  I imagine the early start time of meetings precludes many other  people with caring responsibilities from attending.  Making the council more accessible, transparent and democratic is something I would look at if elected. 

A major part of my role as a Palliative Care doctor was multidisciplinary team meetings.  I also attended many meetings as a school governor, as a parent of a severely disabled child when she was in the education system, and currently as secretary of Stockport Green Party.  I do not feel comfortable blowing my own trumpet, but I am a fast learner and will quickly pick up any necessary new skills required to be an effective member of Stockport Council.

I grew up in Stockport and returned to raise my family here.  It has been stuck in a time warp, and not in a good way.  I want to be a councillor to effect significant, positive changes in our area.  I hope the above lengthy response has helped to allay your concerns about my ability to be a councillor.

Newbie1

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
The whip thing is interesting.  Although there is disagreement amongst Greens about certain issues and elected councillors have free votes on issues, residents can predict how a Green Councillor would vote on certain things without knowing too much about the candidate.  For example, I am confident that any Green Councillor in Stockport would vote against the A6-M60 bypass or airport expansion etc.  In spite of the other parties having whips, it is not always possible to accurately guess how individual members will vote on issues that really matter to people, based upon the colour of their badge.  I think it is a really good thing that we have this platform in Marple so that people can find out more about our personal positions on various issues.

Claire Vibert

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:26:49 PM »
The Green Party does not have whips, so individual councillors are free to make decisions based upon the best interests of the communities that they represent. The following document outlines the Green Party's Local Government plan with examples of the achievements of Green councillors in other areas.  I thought I'd share it as it encapsulates the principles which would be behind my decision making:

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/images/national-site/le-2019/local-government-programme-2019-04-04.pdf

Thanks for sharing that Carolyn: I didn’t know that the Greens don’t have whips. I’ve learnt a lot from you about green issues and their applications on a local level, so thanks for all you do for our community.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »
Hi Carolyn

It was good to see you at the M.E.S.S meeting on Monday. I’ve asked a question about Area Committee meetings to all candidates. if you’d be kind enough to have a look and reply it would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

Newbie1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
The Green Party does not have whips, so individual councillors are free to make decisions based upon the best interests of the communities that they represent. The following document outlines the Green Party's Local Government plan with examples of the achievements of Green councillors in other areas.  I thought I'd share it as it encapsulates the principles which would be behind my decision making:

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/images/national-site/le-2019/local-government-programme-2019-04-04.pdf

Newbie1

Carolyn Leather: Green Party Candidate for Marple North 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »
I am standing as the Green Party Candidate again in Marple North.

For those that don't know me, my background is in medicine.  I trained as a GP and then worked as a Palliative Care doctor until 2015.  I live in the ward with my husband and two children, one of whom has complex needs.

I have a particular interest in inclusive education and equality issues.  I was a school governor for a number of years, and have also volunteered at the Wellspring and for the Cinnamon Trust.  I have been secretary of Stockport Green Party since March 2018.

If elected, I would work as hard as possible to protect all of our green spaces. Climate breakdown and air quality need to be addressed urgently by Stockport Council, and I would work with like-minded colleagues to make real progress in these areas.

Marple is a great place to live, but we do have issues which will only get better with proper enforcement. I will fight to protect and improve all of our public services, including our public transport system.

Please do get in touch if you have any questions.