All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Repairs to Lock 11 via Memorial Park [November 2018 - March 2019]  (Read 4209 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Repairs to Lock 11 via Memorial Park [November 2018 - March 2019]
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »
Good evening

I’ve had a look at the site whilst returning home from Brabyns bonfire tonight. I was impressed by what I saw, a safe secure compound which clearly identifies itself as that. The large amount of people who walked through the site did so with no problem or danger.

I accept is not how we normally love the park but also accept this work needs to be done, ‘breaking eggs to make the omelette’ as I used to describe my own house/building site whilst being extended. As Andrew Bowden said, previous lock work has been done to an excellent standard and for one I will have faith that when the work is complete the park will be like we know it normally is. I will be keeping an eye on this and no doubt the excellent friends group who work tirelesssly on the park will be doing the same.

I’m happy to meet with any residents and have a walk round with them and perhaps speak to the site manager if there are real concerns but on a personal note I’m confident this will be brought to a successful conclusion.

Kind regards

Steve.

prestbury

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 10:30:17 PM »
What an absolute mess in Memorial Park!

Who the heck has agreed to this?

It's nothing short of a building site. I don't remember planning notices being issued on lampposts in the park stating that this was going ahead. The Dog walk footpath is completely blocked, vegetation and mature trees removed, heavy vehicles moving around and a large part of the northern section fenced off.

This is not some worthless land that no one cares about, the request to use the park should have been met with a firm NO IMO.

What a nimby attitude to the repair of a prime asset of Marple, you should really give your head a shake and consider what you have said..

I would further my comment with a couple of salient points.

1.  The canal brings a fair amount of business to Marple with boaters and walkers.

2.  Those with a memory will remember the dereliction of the 1960's and early 70's which was well fought against by many people near and far, followed by an excellent restoration by the Peak Forest Canal Society, British Waterways Board and many volunteers from across the country.

3.  We are talking about a 200 year old infrastructure which has to be repaired to exacting standards that conform to the requirements of Historic England.

4. When the canal was built there was not any property nearby and access  was unlimited.

5. To the comments with regard to using the canal or towpath as access for the works, the canal will be drained both sides of the lock therefore canal access is prohibited. If just the towpath was used for access then the full towpath between lock 12 and Brabyns Brow would be closed to public access along with having to find a suitable compound within easy reach of the site.

The works are already going to cost a 7 figure sum without adding unnecessary obstacles to the job.

Snowball

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
Well said Mark, there are some people that like nothing better than to whinge.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »

The original post in this thread explains who agreed to it. To provide more detail: the council's Greenspace Team were approached by CRT, the programme of works was discussed, the compound area was laid out and discussed on site with a Greenspace Officer and Friends of the Park, changes were made to avoid having to remove or damage commemorative trees at the top end of the park and it was also agreed which trees would be saved / removed and what reinstatement measures would be taken afterwards. All this was agreed by Greenspace on behalf of the council and supported by Friends of the Park. I was the Friends of the Park representative at these meetings and I agreed to it too.

It's nothing short of a building site.

That's correct, it is a building site until the lock is repaired and the park reinstated. This is why you can't walk through it.

I don't remember planning notices being issued on lampposts in the park stating that this was going ahead.

Notices are on lampposts in the park. There are also larger notices now showing the canal closure (see pic).

The Dog walk footpath is completely blocked, vegetation and mature trees removed, heavy vehicles moving around and a large part of the northern section fenced off.

It's not a Dog walk footpath specifically but the woodland walk along the park's perimeter with the canal is blocked. The canal tow path will also be blocked soon. This is unavoidable as the park is the only area that can be used to gain the necessary access to carry out the repairs. As others have pointed out, there are alternative places that one can walk a dog while this path is closed. The minimum number of mature trees possible to get access to the lock have been removed. Heavy vehicles will be moving around for many months, so the area has been fenced off to keep the public safe - because it's a building site.

This is not some worthless land that no one cares about, the request to use the park should have been met with a firm NO IMO.

The Friends of the Park care greatly about the park and were pleased to be involved in the discussions and be able to influence how the park is to be used and to assure ourselves of the level of reinstatement to be applied afterwards. We also believe that the canal and locks are a significant assess for the Marple Community and should be kept open. I would also say that I've been very satisfied with the professionalism of the CRT Team members that I've been in discussions with.   

If you have any other concerns it is recommended that you take them up with the manager of the council's Greenspace team or one of your local councillors.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
Maybe I enjoy walking in nature not through a building site.

Such a shame we live in a completely overbuilt up urban area with no alternative parkland.

andrewbowden

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »

If only someone had thought to provide this information.  It really should not be the complete and utter mystery that it is.

hatter76

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »
HOW DO THEY BRING IN BY CANAL WHEN ITS EMPTY .All your concerned with is your walking routes blocket were you take your dog .
Maybe I enjoy walking in nature not through a building site.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
Well what would the canal trust have done if it was a built up area?
They would have had to create a secure compound on canal trust land off site to accept HGVs. Smaller scale equipment and low quantities of materials would be brought to site by canal as Ringi stated earlier or by light vehicles using the canal footpath. Yes it would have increased the cost of the job but frankly that's the canal trusts problem.
HOW DO THEY BRING IN BY CANAL WHEN ITS EMPTY .All your concerned with is your walking routes blocket were you take your dog .

hatter76

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
So what would you sugest then were they use for storage and equipment .thought the dog walk would come into it .

Well what would the canal trust have done if it was a built up area?
They would have had to create a secure compound on canal trust land off site to accept HGVs. Smaller scale equipment and low quantities of materials would be brought to site by canal as Ringi stated earlier or by light vehicles using the canal footpath. Yes it would have increased the cost of the job but frankly that's the canal trusts problem.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »

It's nothing short of a building site. I don't remember planning notices being issued on lampposts in the park stating that this was going ahead. The Dog walk footpath is completely blocked, vegetation and mature trees removed, heavy vehicles moving around and a large part of the northern section fenced off.

So what would you sugest then were they use for storage and equipment .thought the dog walk would come into it .

wheels

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
When lock 1 to 7 were being worked on they had an equally large compound and they did an excellent job of restoration after they left.

hatter76

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

corium

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
As an aside the locks & canal near the Memorial park were prominent in part of the "Ambulance" episode shown on BBC 1 last night

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
"requiring significant plant and equipment"  I find this not believable given how the locks were built.........

Quick!  Flood Marple with Irish navvies!

Howard

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
"requiring significant plant and equipment"  I find this not believable given how the locks were built.........

The canals were built by navvies on on open ground without any environmental or health a safety concerns. In the imortal words of Michael Gove, "Britain has had enough of experts."