Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)  (Read 11621 times)

wheels

Re: Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »
That link doesn't work for me. Anyone else having problems.

corium

Newbie1

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
Where did you here this?  I know that the government wants the council to come up with a cheaper solution, but I don't think they have categorically said no to the A6-M60 bypass.

amazon

Bredbury bypass
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Heard yesterday that the Bredbury bypass had been scraped any info anyone .

Melancholyflower

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 12:41:21 AM »
Excellent that we have a voice in TfGM, please keep us updated, Steve! A line to Stockport would be fantastic.

I lived in South Reddish for 5 years before moving here and from my experience of constant heavy traffic on the only other commuter routes to Manchester (both road of course) the place was crying out for a regular rail service to Manchester taking in both Denton and Gorton.  If the will was there it would be up and running now.

The example is not quite the same as Marple as we already have two stations, but given that both serve Piccadilly and neither Stockport, it has always seemed stupid.

The Middlewood Way is a popular location but if the railway was resurrected tomorrow with a curve off to Hazel Grove I would not be sorry.  Extension to Macclesfield would be useful too though think they have trammelled over it like all the other hacked Beeching lines.

I read somewhere that a service to Stockport could be diverted at Belle Vue, and given all the waste land around there this does seem a viable option.

And historically one shouldn't rush to blame the Conservatives for all the problems of the railways. Ernest Marples was a crook, and privatisation was a grave mistake, but Labour continued presiding over (after promising to reverse)  a huge amount of Beeching cuts from 1964 right through to 1970 and beyond. They even closed lines down that he hadn't even recommended which would be an absolute godsend in easing motor congestion were they open now.  The whole debacle is under-reported and often misunderstood.

andrewbowden

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Stalybridge-Stockport line is one of the "ghost lines" which runs once per week.

Edit: yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockport%E2%80%93Stalybridge_line

One passenger service a week - in each direction.  The line's also used for freight.  The section between Guide Bridge and Stalybridge is also used by services to Huddersfield and Transpennine destinations.

Howard

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »
I agree that what hatter suggests could work - in the unlikely event that the political will and the financial support could be found to make it happen.

Similarly, I think a 'chord' at Reddish Vale linking our line to the Stalybridge - Stockport line just before Reddish South could also work. Both routes look as though they would provide a 20-minute journey from Marple to Stockport, and, importantly, at all times of the day, including rush hours!

But I'm still very sceptical about the likelihood of any heavy rail plan actually being built. Whereas Metrolink has a remarkable track record (geddit) of getting new lines and extensions built quickly.

If I remember correctly, the Stalybridge-Stockport line is one of the "ghost lines" which runs once per week.

Edit: yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockport%E2%80%93Stalybridge_line

Dave

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
I agree that what hatter suggests could work - in the unlikely event that the political will and the financial support could be found to make it happen.

Similarly, I think a 'chord' at Reddish Vale linking our line to the Stalybridge - Stockport line just before Reddish South could also work. Both routes look as though they would provide a 20-minute journey from Marple to Stockport, and, importantly, at all times of the day, including rush hours!

But I'm still very sceptical about the likelihood of any heavy rail plan actually being built. Whereas Metrolink has a remarkable track record (geddit) of getting new lines and extensions built quickly.

hatter76

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
Where would you the curve, and there are also changes of levels to sort out.

It would join before the old High Lane Station site at Disley tunnel. Yes it is steep so it would require a curve on adjacent farm land.

A circular heavy rail Manchester-Hazel Grove-Rose Hill-Manchester would be far more use than a tram-train link to Didsbury using the same alignment or a tram that then turned off at Hazel Grove and went up a new A6 bus lane.

ringi

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
All you need to do is extend the Rose Hill line circa 2 miles along the Middlewood Way and connect with the Hazel Grove to Sheffield line.  You then create a circular link which enables most of Tameside, Romiley and Marple to access Stepping Hill and Stockport.

Where would you the curve, and there are also changes of levels to sort out.

amazon

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
All you need to do is extend the Rose Hill line circa 2 miles along the Middlewood Way and connect with the Hazel Grove to Sheffield line.  You then create a circular link which enables most of Tameside, Romiley and Marple to access Stepping Hill and Stockport.
if only it will be you cant do this you cant do that acient woodland etc what about the bikes , ...

hatter76

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 04:04:46 PM »
That's good to know Steve. It's a really important issue, and having someone from Marple directly involved can only help.

That said, it would be pretty astonishing if a 'heavy rail' (i.e. not Metrolink or tram-train) connection were ever to be constructed between Marple and Stockport, and if that is not achievable I think we need to be prepared to accept a tram link rather than no link at all.

Dave

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »
That's good to know Steve. It's a really important issue, and having someone from Marple directly involved can only help.

That said, it would be pretty astonishing if a 'heavy rail' (i.e. not Metrolink or tram-train) connection were ever to be constructed between Marple and Stockport, and if that is not achievable I think we need to be prepared to accept a tram link rather than no link at all.

amazon

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »
Good morning all who read this.

I attended the TfGM meeting and am now on the rail sub committee. I have emailed a TfGM executive asking about the rail link (not metrolink) between Marple And Stockport, this has been passed to the development and planning team who are going to contact me.

I will as promised update on here with any developments relevant to our area.

Kind regards and enjoy your weekend.

Steve
Thanks for info

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
Good morning all who read this.

I attended the TfGM meeting and am now on the rail sub committee. I have emailed a TfGM executive asking about the rail link (not metrolink) between Marple And Stockport, this has been passed to the development and planning team who are going to contact me.

I will as promised update on here with any developments relevant to our area.

Kind regards and enjoy your weekend.

Steve