Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)  (Read 11722 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
Thanks for this report Steve. I'm not surprised that you were told the scheme is not viable, but I am surprised at the reason you were given. 

There were once, long ago, 'bay platforms' at the north and (I think) the south end of platforms 1 and 2, similar to platform 3a which is still in use.

If a route from Marple via Bredbury and the Guide Bridge line were to be built, the northern bay platform (platform 1a) could easily be reopened. Similarly, if the route via the Middlewood Way and Hazel Grove were constructed, a south-facing bay platform (1b) could be opened.

It hard to believe that that is the real reason.

It's not just platform space.  To get to a reopened 1a or 1b the train would need to crossover the lines to platforms 0 and 1.  That has capacity implications.  For there to be no capacity implications a new line would need to come in and be independent of everything else that's already there.

andrewbowden

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Hopefully, we don't have to wait until HS2 bypassed Stockport to get the platform space for more local services.

HS2 is unlikely to release any much capacity at Stockport.  The existing intercity trains will just be reconfigured to stop at more places and enhance services along the traditional lines.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Thanks Dave

This is why I'm going to delve a bit deeper and see what comes back, I'm going to see what can be done but to me being polite and courteous is key as the last thing I want is to be told no further dialogue will take place.

Kind regards

Steve

Dave

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »
I enquired (both by email and during an end of session discussion) the feasibility of a heavy rail link from Marple into Stockport by creating a spur onto the Reddish line. I was told it had been looked into and dismissed due to the lack of available platform space.

Thanks for this report Steve. I'm not surprised that you were told the scheme is not viable, but I am surprised at the reason you were given. 

There were once, long ago, 'bay platforms' at the north and (I think) the south end of platforms 1 and 2, similar to platform 3a which is still in use.

If a route from Marple via Bredbury and the Guide Bridge line were to be built, the northern bay platform (platform 1a) could easily be reopened. Similarly, if the route via the Middlewood Way and Hazel Grove were constructed, a south-facing bay platform (1b) could be opened.

It hard to believe that that is the real reason.

ringi

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
Hopefully, we don't have to wait until HS2 bypassed Stockport to get the platform space for more local services.

Good afternoon.

Please forgive me for jumping in mid way through a road discussion but I thought it a good time to update following my TfGM meeting last Friday.

I enquired (both by email and during an end of session discussion) the feasibility of a heavy rail link from Marple into Stockport by creating a spur onto the Reddish line. I was told it had been looked into and dismissed due to the lack of available platform space. This isn't physical space, it's the time space that is needed to allow a train to arrive, embark/disembark and depart. However this research was done several years ago and since then both timetables and service reduction have taken place.

The TfGM officer was positive and helpful, we are going to meet away from a public to see if this situation can be revisited. I believe this idea has decent public support and is worth pushing for. I will of course keep everybody updated accordingly.

I hope this message is to the satisfaction of those who read it, I am doing what I can to try and get better, safer and more environmentally friendly transport into where we live.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
Good afternoon.

Please forgive me for jumping in mid way through a road discussion but I thought it a good time to update following my TfGM meeting last Friday.

I enquired (both by email and during an end of session discussion) the feasibility of a heavy rail link from Marple into Stockport by creating a spur onto the Reddish line. I was told it had been looked into and dismissed due to the lack of available platform space. This isn't physical space, it's the time space that is needed to allow a train to arrive, embark/disembark and depart. However this research was done several years ago and since then both timetables and service reduction have taken place.

The TfGM officer was positive and helpful, we are going to meet away from a public to see if this situation can be revisited. I believe this idea has decent public support and is worth pushing for. I will of course keep everybody updated accordingly.

I hope this message is to the satisfaction of those who read it, I am doing what I can to try and get better, safer and more environmentally friendly transport into where we live.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Dave

Re: Bredbury bypass
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
Heard yesterday that the Bredbury bypass had been scraped any info anyone .

If that MEN article is to be believed it's not actually been scraped or even scrapped, but the government are saying that a 'lower cost alternative' needs to be found. Let's hope it can, or the Torkington Road - Dooley Lane - Bents Lane gridlock will only get even worse   ::)

andrewbowden

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
its still one billian over budget and could be fifty billian over .

I have only seen comments that it its spend is £500m ahead of budget (not over budget) and that it is within its spending plan.  This was from May.  Even if it is overspent that does not mean the money will come from Westminster.

Given the budget was less than £15bn, an overspend of £50bn would be nigh on impossible.

amazon

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Westminster didn't find £14.8billion to pay for Crosrail.  Only about a third of the money came from Westminster.  The remaining two thirds has come from local sources - local taxes and businesses.

If London hadn't stumped up most of the cash, Crossrail would never have happened.

Crossrail 2 will be similar.
its still one billian over budget and could be fifty billian over .

andrewbowden

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
I suppose after spending £14.8 Billion on Crossrail they are a bit skint. Perhaps they could let us have the left-over tarmac..

Westminster didn't find £14.8billion to pay for Crosrail.  Only about a third of the money came from Westminster.  The remaining two thirds has come from local sources - local taxes and businesses.

If London hadn't stumped up most of the cash, Crossrail would never have happened.

Crossrail 2 will be similar.

amazon

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
I suppose after spending £14.8 Billion on Crossrail they are a bit skint. Perhaps they could let us have the left-over tarmac..
Thats now over buget by one billian before its started .

Cyberman

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
Government in Westminster don't want to spend money on thing SHOCK!

amazon

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
Where did you here this?  I know that the government wants the council to come up with a cheaper solution, but I don't think they have categorically said no to the A6-M60 bypass.
The bluebell pickers will be happy

andrewbowden

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
Government in Westminster don't want to spend money on thing SHOCK!