Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Labour Leaflets at Train Station  (Read 2796 times)

corium

Re: Labour Leaflets at Train Station
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
The people standing outside polling stations are tellers, and they're perfectly entitled to be there as long as they follow the very strict rules. 

Whilst this is absolutely true I have experienced demands, I must stress not in this area, that I need to hand over my details to be allowed into a polling station on more than one occasion. I happened to know the rules, but I suspect most don't which is what all parties play on.

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
I was disappointed by the lady in the giant Lib Dem rosette who insisted I gave my name and address before I entered the polling station.

I politely refused and told the returning officer inside that he ought to mover her on her way.

I suggest if you don't want to see any political info today then you get off the internet pretty sharpish!!!

The people standing outside polling stations are tellers, and they're perfectly entitled to be there as long as they follow the very strict rules.  You can read the rules here:
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/141890/Tellers-guidance-generic.pdf

You do not have to give any details to them.  If you do chose to - and it's absolutely your decision - then that will help the party work out who of its supporters have voted, so they can work to get their other supporters to go out and vote.   

Sometimes if a polling station has tellers from multiple parties then they'll share information so that they don't pester people too much.  Or they may run in shifts - one per party.  But usually if there is only one teller present they won't share.  So if the Spotty Party has a teller present but the Stripy party doesn't, then the Spotty Party isn't going to give any information to the Stripy. 

If a teller breaks the rules then the police can get involved.  But as long as the tellers are polite and are abiding by the laws, then all is fine.

The most important thing is that sharing any information with them is entirely your choice.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
The handing out of leaflets on election day, regardless of the party.

As long as they're not doing it near a polling station, there is nothing to stop parties giving leaflets on election day.  I used to live in South West London and every general election the candidates - or representatives of them - would be standing outside the tube station with leaflets.  Across the country party members will be out this morning reminding people to vote, giving people lifts, doing what they can to persuade people to go to their polling station.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
I was disappointed by the lady in the giant Lib Dem rosette who insisted I gave my name and address before I entered the polling station.

I politely refused and told the returning officer inside that he ought to mover her on her way.

I suggest if you don't want to see any political info today then you get off the internet pretty sharpish!!!

GM

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »
Are you disappointed they were handing out leaflets?  Or that they were with their children?  Or that they were doing it at the station?

GM

Labour Leaflets at Train Station
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
Good luck to all the candidates with the local elections.

However I was very disappointed by two people with their children handing out the labour party leaflets to commuters this morning outside the Marple Train Station!.