A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: A6-M60 bypass  (Read 9093 times)

Newbie1

Re: A6-M60 bypass
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:03 PM »
@ringi An efficient bus service to Stepping Hill is something that I would certainly press for if elected.  Car parking at the hospital appears to be getting far more difficult each time we go.  I talked to staff in the clinic about this and they confirmed they were getting more and more complaints all the time about parking issues.

A direct bus service would encourage people to leave their cars at home, which in turn would free up parking spaces for those who need to drive.

ringi

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
I think Steve may mean the Reddish South line - that's the one that links Stockport with Guide Bridge and has one train per week! It crosses the Marple - Piccadilly line at Reddish Vale, between Brinnington and Reddish North stations, and could provide a rail link between  Marple, Romiley and Stockport, through the construction of a short curve joining our line with the Guide Bridge line.

That would link Marple with Stockport with a journey time of around 20 minutes, even though it is a somewhat roundabout route. I am puzzled as to why it is not being taken more seriously by the planners, as it appears to be the only way we will ever have a rail link to Stockport.

I see little point with a rail link to Stockport, as I see no point in going into Stockport.....   Most people who commute to work by car would not be helped by it.   I would much rather the  money be spent on having trains every 15 minutes into Manchester, along with a better bus network, and bus lanes all along the A6.

(There is no space on the rails system for more trains between Stockport and Manchester, therefore a new service from Marple to Stockport would have to terminate at Stockport.)

ringi

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
Interesting comment re charging @ringi   
And I know this is a little off-topic, but SMBC have installed a limited number of free electric-car charging points.  (Including one near the snooker club opposite the town hall on Edward St)  Do we want to see more?

I think these chargings points are of no benefits.     Firstly ALL taxi and minicabs should be required to be 100% electric within two years.   Then we need a requirement that all new homes have charging for electric-cars along with all employer-provided parking.    As for council provided chargers, there should have been at least 50 in the new Car Park, as unless someone can depend on getting a space with a charger, it is of no benefit in getting people to switch to EV.

A quick win would be to provide free access to the short-term Parking (and drop of) at the Airport to all EVs.

ringi

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »
Were do you want a bus to steping hill from .

From Marple, going along Dan Bank then taking a DIRECT way to Stepping Hill with a minimal of stops.  At present the bus is VERY slow as to goes rounds lots of back roads, hence everyone I know who works at Stepping Hill drives to work.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
I think Steve may mean the Reddish South line - that's the one that links Stockport with Guide Bridge and has one train per week! It crosses the Marple - Piccadilly line at Reddish Vale, between Brinnington and Reddish North stations, and could provide a rail link between  Marple, Romiley and Stockport, through the construction of a short curve joining our line with the Guide Bridge line.

That would link Marple with Stockport with a journey time of around 20 minutes, even though it is a somewhat roundabout route. I am puzzled as to why it is not being taken more seriously by the planners, as it appears to be the only way we will ever have a rail link to Stockport.

Many thanks Dave I think you may be right there, I called it Reddish North as how I see it R North will be the 1st station that is arrived at if a link could be created. When/if I get my reply to TFGM I will make sure I have my lines 100% correct! I really do think this is worth pushing for, it would help traffic congestion, the environment and local economy both in Stockport and where we live. I will report back when I receive a reply.

I appreciate your help on this, thanks again.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

JohnBates

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
The Conservatives are in favour of the A6 M60 link (subject to business case and full assessment)

"Local conservatives have long called for improvements to our local roads infrastructure, and especially the urgent the need for a link road between the M60 at Bredbury and the A6 at Hazel Grove, about which our MP William Wragg introduced a debate in Parliament shortly before the election.

Proposals for the A6-M60 link road are currently part of the South East Manchester Multi-Modal Strategy (SEMMMS) refresh, along with other elements of Stockport's current and future transport priorities.

William Wragg MP for the Hazel Grove constituency, and local councillors will be making the case to ensure that there is no deviation from the need for the A6-M60 Hazel Grove to Bredbury bypass, which has been talked about for decades, but has never been delivered. In addition, in order to reduce congestion and protect the environment, we must do more than just build new roads. We need to get people out of cars and onto good alternative public transport. Therefore the SEMMM Strategy refresh will also provide an opportunity to push for a Metrolink extension to Marple, connecting Marple, Romiley and Bredbury to Stockport and then further afield along the existing Metrolink network. It is also important to push for Stockport to be the hub of a Tram/Train Metrolink network to the Airport and Tameside as well."

see www.hazelgroveconservatives.org.uk/campaigns/a6-m60-bypass

Dave

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
I also put forward a suggestion of using the Reddish North line which may be declined

Re the A6- M60 bypass, it really is a no-brainer, as anyone who uses Torkington Road, Dooley Lane or Bents Lane must know to their cost. Those three roads, as we all know, are a virtually permanent crawl, with huge amount of medium and long distance traffic funnelling in from Hazel Grove to join the motorway, and we need to get that traffic off those roads so that they are released for us locals to use.

This is a very important local issue, and the contibutions here from Carolyn, Steve and Kevin have been very helpful in enabling voters to make up our minds.

Will L

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Personally I'm in favor.

The train link likely will never be restored to Stockport and as for Buses, well we'll see what Burnham will do over the next few years.

Personally I'd rather introduce a congestion charge into Manchester itself and direct those funds toward improving trains, buses and trams but the Mayor has already rejected that possibility sadly and I suspect unless he changes his mind he'll be mayor until at least 2025 so we might as well crack on with improving the roads.

As time goes on more electric cars will enter the roads as well, and hopefully a more aggressive target than 2040 put into place for the banning of petrol cars.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »
I was on the M25 in the late 80s (the exact date eludes me and I'm not goggling) when this road opened. It was originally announced as a  '... Technological Breakthrough that would resolve the traffic congestion around London...' It wasn't long before the contemporaneous song-writer Chris Rea was denouncing it as  '... The Road To Hell...' 

Since then, I have never seen an additional road that didn't fill up with vehicular traffic almost instantly. It's a bit of a paradox really, as these roads are supposed to ease traffic congestion but very quickly they augment it.  None of them work, they just attract more combustion-engine cars, the by-product which in turn bring their own problems.

Then there is the irretrievable, environmental vandalism that is inflicted upon the area.

Then there is the total lack of wit and imagination that is a symptom of the ready acceptance of these schemes. When every time we look at them retrospectively and say grudgingly to ourselves...' Surely we could have thought of something better for that amount of money...'

So no Carolyn, I do not support another road to hell.   

amazon

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
Could the other candidates please say if they would vote for the bypass, and what they would do to limit the impact on Dan Bank.

(Personly I don't see another option, as public transport will never work for people who need to travel round Manchester to a place of work.   But I am all for better public transport, including a useful bus to Stepping Hill.  And I would welcome road charging to reduce car usage.)
Were do you want a bus to steping hill from .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Steve - can you please answer the question - what is the stance from the Libdems - are they for or against the bypass.

Hi Razzle

To answer your question, the Lib Dems are broadly in favour of the bypass however the consultation on the 2nd stage needs to happen to make sure everyone has their say in the matter.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Razzle24

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Steve - can you please answer the question - what is the stance from the Libdems - are they for or against the bypass.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
Could the other candidates please say if they would vote for the bypass, and what they would do to limit the impact on Dan Bank.

(Personly I don't see another option, as public transport will never work for people who need to travel round Manchester to a place of work.   But I am all for better public transport, including a useful bus to Stepping Hill.  And I would welcome road charging to reduce car usage.)

Good morning Ringi

On a personal level I agree about the public transport system needing an upgrade and any positive improvements can pay for themselves in the way of more usage. I attended the Rail users group forum in Romiley a couple of Months ago and there was no mention of a link between Marple and Stockport which amazes me, when a question was asked about this the rail official confirmed it was not even being looked at but could not explain why. Since then I have been in contact with Transport for Greater Manchester (TGFM) with a request for a reason this is not being looked into, I also put forward a suggestion of using the Reddish North line which may be declined but in my opinion we have to look at ways of getting public transport improved and protecting our environment.

If the road is going to be successful it would have to be with as little impact on the environment as possible, simply removing green areas for it to be forgotten about in time is to me just not good enough. Our road structure does need upgrading to deal with modern demands but we have to be very careful not to destroy what we have around us. Before casting a vote I would want to see that every avenue is looked into to ensure if it does take place then it will be of huge benefit for us. If this was not the case then I believe options would have to be reviewed.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon 

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Interesting comment re charging @ringi   Have you seen this short TED talks video about that issue?

And I know this is a little off-topic, but SMBC have installed a limited number of free electric-car charging points.  (Including one near the snooker club opposite the town hall on Edward St)  Do we want to see more?

Sorry @Carolyn Leather - candidates opinions on the bypass.....

ringi

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »