Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Recycle bins in Trinity St: carpark  (Read 1619 times)

ringi

Re: Recycle bins in Trinity St: carpark
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »
Sweden are allegedly so far ahead of us in not using landfill that they import rubbish from the UK.

Their towns have heating systems that were designed to burn rubbish, but with recycling of paper etc, they no longer have enough rubbish to keep warm....   (Remember they get longer winters then we do.)

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
The general bins are picked up by a team in a van and go with the rest of the "residual" waste, i.e. dumped or burnt.

We are all more aware of our environment and rubbish that we create.  However, Sweden are allegedly so far ahead of us in not using landfill that they import rubbish from the UK.  We are on the right path but have a way to go, logistically and mentally.

In the meanwhile, Stockport and Trafford are the 2 boroughs with the best recycling rates in GM.

Cyberman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »
I was annoyed to find the bins had gone. I often used to pick up clean discarded bottles lying around on Market St and re-home them in the recycling bins - can't anymore. However the cross-contamination was bad - e.g. people dump a box full of cans in there still in the box! Also saw the contents of someone's car ashtray in one. Words fail me ...

Anyone know if litter in the general bins on Market St is sorted for recycling or is it just incinerated?

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
Yes.  This was a decision by the Labour's exec member for communities, Cllr Sheila Bailey, based on consulting Solution SK (now TLC, who empty our bins), based on the following criteria.
1) It saves money
2) There was cross contamination
3) Firms used it to recycle
4) People left black bags of "residual waste" (i.e. non-recyclable) by the side.

In my humble opinion, none of these really justifies the removal of recycling facilities.  Indeed I was pressing for the use of recycling bins on Market St.  Other countries can mange it, and even the railways are doing it now.  Ultimately it is down to money again.  We do get a small amount of money for recycling, but if it is contaminated, we are fined.  And government cuts to local authorities are swingeing.

Having said that, Cllr Bailey did listen and backed off charging for free car parks on Brabyns Brow, after both Con and Lib Dem councillors pushed back.

badger

Recycle bins in Trinity St: carpark
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
Does anyone know why the cardboard and bottle banks have been removed from the car park and replaced with two clothing banks?