RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Marple North Local Elections Discussion Group - Facebook  (Read 3624 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: Marple North Local Elections Discussion Group - Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
I completely agree Geoff.  I set the group up hoping all candidates could contribute to discussions, as they can on here, in a polite and respectful way.  I'm interested in the views of all of the candidates, but haven't heard many of them, which is why I panicked and set up the group when further political discussion was blocked on Marple Matters.  I've already said this a few times on other forums, but I'm sure that there are plenty of issues that all candidates agree upon.  I'm pretty sure that none of us like pot holes or dog poo etc, and are very happy to work collaboratively to address such issues.  There are going to be issues, such as the A6-M60 bypass, which we will have different opinions about, and some candidates would be restricted by their National Party policies when it comes to voting on such issues.  Stockport Green Party opposes the bypass, and if elected I would be voting against it.  Labour candidates have discussed this on Marple Matters, but  from memory they have not expressed their views on this, but said that they would have a free vote on it.  I have asked Stephen Gribbon multiple times what his view is on this hugely significant issue, but he has not replied. My understanding is that Lib Dem's support the bypass.  I am very happy as always to be corrected, but I am just not getting any answers.  I think it is important for voters to know what our views are on the bigger issues like this, because otherwise, how can they really know what distinguishes us from each other ?

Regards
Carolyn Leather

Do you know of any other FB groups where such

Thanks - I really appreciate that reply.  I agree that it is important to see the difference between candidates - or even Ideologies, although that does matter a bit less in local elections. 

E.g. - the bypass.  For my part, I do not know enough to vote for or against the A6-M60 link.  It does go though a lush bit of the Goyt valley, and the suggested cost is a staggering £500 million.  The airport city if it starts will need feeder routes (as well as cycleways and public transport of course - my favourites areas to talk about), yet we know from the 1960s more roads=more traffic.  However, air pollution on the A6 near Simpson's corner will be big too (probably > legal 40 microgram per m3 like the A34 is presently).  So many issues - what we voted on in council was to spend more money on the evidence.  And of course, I am stepping down so will not be voting anyway!

Newbie1

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
I completely agree Geoff.  I set the group up hoping all candidates could contribute to discussions, as they can on here, in a polite and respectful way.  I'm interested in the views of all of the candidates, but haven't heard many of them, which is why I panicked and set up the group when further political discussion was blocked on Marple Matters.  I've already said this a few times on other forums, but I'm sure that there are plenty of issues that all candidates agree upon.  I'm pretty sure that none of us like pot holes or dog poo etc, and are very happy to work collaboratively to address such issues.  There are going to be issues, such as the A6-M60 bypass, which we will have different opinions about, and some candidates would be restricted by their National Party policies when it comes to voting on such issues.  Stockport Green Party opposes the bypass, and if elected I would be voting against it.  Labour candidates have discussed this on Marple Matters, but  from memory they have not expressed their views on this, but said that they would have a free vote on it.  I have asked Stephen Gribbon multiple times what his view is on this hugely significant issue, but he has not replied. My understanding is that Lib Dem's support the bypass.  I am very happy as always to be corrected, but I am just not getting any answers.  I think it is important for voters to know what our views are on the bigger issues like this, because otherwise, how can they really know what distinguishes us from each other ?

Regards

Carolyn Leather

Do you know of any other FB groups where such

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »
Democracy is a great thing and part of that is accepting opposition and comments that are not like yours.   However, 2 Marple-related sites have now stopped accepting comments because of the deluge of comments from one side.  I hope that will not happen here.

@Carolyn Leather - you can understand why candidates would not come to a site moderated by one of the candidates.  Perhaps we could post links to sites that extol the virtues of candidates of all the parties (and none)?  It's a thought.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
Hi Kevin

Yes, I can totally see why none of my opponents have taken up my offer! 

I will have a look at your book- sounds interesting. 

Regards

Carolyn

Ah well, if I don't win the election, I have at least sold a book.

The latest three are on Amazon: 'A Man of Insignificance.'  'The Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre.'  'The Looked After Child.'

Admin, Apologies for the impromptu advertising.

Newbie1

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
Hi Kevin

Yes, I can totally see why none of my opponents have taken up my offer! 

I will have a look at your book- sounds interesting. 

Regards

Carolyn

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »
Is it possible to edit posts by the way on this forum Mark?

Individuals can only edit their own posts for around 5 minutes after they are made. After that that if you have made a mistake and need help you can contact a Moderator or you can make a new post providing the corrected information. Moderators can edit any post but it is our policy to avoid doing that wherever possible.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
Hello Carolyn,

Thank you for your interesting invitation to join FB. It is something that my friends and relatives have been tryng to persuade me to do for many years.

An author's vanity compels me to guide you to one of my books (The Looked After Child ) page 120, Line 30, onwards. This should give you an insight into my views on social media. Upon analysis, there always seems to be more weight against it, than for it.

On this occasion I shall be politely declining your invitation.  The main reason for this, is that it would be absolute folly to submit to the moderation of an opponent.

Whilst I do not agree with bullying of any kind, it is very much an overused word these days and is sometimes confused with candour and assertiveness.

Nevertheless, I applaud you , your idea was not without imagination and was a fresh departure from the Lib Dem/Conservative party-speak hegemony that for the last few years has prevailed over the stagnation of Marple. 

Newbie1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »
Is it possible to edit posts by the way on this forum Mark?

I wanted to say something regarding your points about cyber bullying on the FB groups.  I have asked questions of another candidate about issues that concern me as a member of the public, and have had no reply from them.  I have also questioned points on publicity materials that I feel need clarification.  Similar questions have been posed to myself on forums and I have answered them, and answered them honestly, aware that my views are probably not going to win the most votes!   

Re-reading your post it could be implied that I have been bullying other candidates, which certainly  is not the case. 

Regards

Carolyn

Newbie1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
Hi Mark

You are very right of course.  I set up the group as I felt the need for there to be an alternative forum to this one for political discussion, simply because FB notifies me when comments come in on discussions I am following.

i did not want to be the only admin and when posting about this new group I asked for admin from other parties and ideally none.  I've only had one offer so far.

I accept this was a bad idea.  I'll leave the group up in case anyone who has joined wants to ask questions of me, but will check this forum more regularly.

Kind regards

Carolyn

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:30:13 AM »
I have set up a new FB group for people to discuss the Local Elections in May.  Political discussion has now been blocked from Marple Community Hub and Marple Matters FB groups.

I would like to invite the other candidates to join.  Stephen Gribbon, Chris Gleeson, Kevin Dowling and Hannah Sneddon please see the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151381559031004/

All posts are to be polite and respectful, but direct questions are encouraged. I feel it is important that the electorate have the opportunity to ask questions and find out what the candidates' views and policies are.

I am grateful to Mark Whittaker for allowing political discussion on this forum, and for managing this fabulous website.  I mean no disrespect by creating another group for discussion.  I just find FB easier to use for this sort of purpose.

Kind regards

Carolyn Leather
Green Party Candidate for Marple North

Thank you for the kind comments about this web site.

If I were a candidate I would not join a FB group for political discussion set up, administered and moderated by another candidate. It would be totally foolish to do so.

Several of our election candidates and their supporters between them have already caused Admins of two community groups on FB to block ongoing political discussions. Moderating political discussion is a very difficult task and I have great sympathy for the Admins of these groups, who have tried very hard to provide a fair and reasonable platform for discussions but have eventually been forced to give up for their own sanity.

To avoid a similar outcome here candidates must certainly ensure that they are positive, polite and respectful. But over and above that, they should also concentrate on telling voters what their own policies are and what they are going to do for the area that they wish to represent. Tell us why to vote for you, rather than why not to vote for the others. Attacks on each other, on each other's policies and each other's publicity material will be moved to the Trolling and Trivia section or removed from public view by the Moderators here. Cyber-bullying of the kind witnessed on the Marple Matters and Marple Community Hub FB groups over the last couple of weeks will not be tolerated here either.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Newbie1

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
I quite often wish I had never signed up to Facebook- it is addictive! 

Condate

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
Those of us who are not on Facebook and have no wish to be, won't be joining in of course. However, I'm sure discussion will continue here as well.

And I'm in Marple South anyway

Condate

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
Those of us who are not on Facebook and have no wish to be, won't be joining in of course. However, I'm sure discussion will continue here as well.

Newbie1

Marple North Local Elections Discussion Group - Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
I have set up a new FB group for people to discuss the Local Elections in May.  Political discussion has now been blocked from Marple Community Hub and Marple Matters FB groups.

I would like to invite the other candidates to join.  Stephen Gribbon, Chris Gleeson, Kevin Dowling and Hannah Sneddon please see the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151381559031004/

All posts are to be polite and respectful, but direct questions are encouraged. I feel it is important that the electorate have the opportunity to ask questions and find out what the candidates' views and policies
are.

I am grateful to Mark Whittaker for allowing political discussion on this forum, and for managing this fabulous website.  I mean no disrespect by creating another group for discussion.  I just find FB easier to use for this sort of purpose.

Kind regards

Carolyn Leather
Green Party Candidate for Marple North