Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Strines Nightingale (ex Sportsman Pub)  (Read 5972 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Strines Nightingale (ex Sportsman Pub)
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 06:05:11 PM »
I don't know just how much publicity there was for the opening concert by Martin Carthy: I passed a couple of times in the preceding week and didn't notice any signs announcing the opening. I wish that I had known about it. Martin Carthy is a folk music legend who I saw at the big folk music festivals and at the Free Trade Hall in the 1970s. I met someone who attended and said that there was to be a regular folk night/concert. Does anyone else know any details? I have checked the web site for the new venue but not a lot can be gleaned from that.

I found out by accident that Martin was playing a few weeks before the opening and by then it had sold out.  Sure it was good but I don't know how it went!

marplerambler

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:32:48 PM »
I don't know just how much publicity there was for the opening concert by Martin Carthy: I passed a couple of times in the preceding week and didn't notice any signs announcing the opening. I wish that I had known about it. Martin Carthy is a folk music legend who I saw at the big folk music festivals and at the Free Trade Hall in the 1970s. I met someone who attended and said that there was to be a regular folk night/concert. Does anyone else know any details? I have checked the web site for the new venue but not a lot can be gleaned from that.

ROTHERS

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
Web site isn't that easy to follow but looks like no food until February 2023. Hope the beer is good!
I thought it was just me, the website is not good.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 06:09:41 PM »
I've not been in, but have driven past a few times.

https://strinesnightingale.com/
Web site isn't that easy to follow but looks like no food until February 2023. Hope the beer is good!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 04:22:04 PM »
drove past for the first time in ages, its re-opened as The Strines Nightengale.

I've not been in, but have driven past a few times.

https://strinesnightingale.com/

ROTHERS

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 01:29:27 PM »
drove past for the first time in ages, its re-opened as The Strines Nightengale.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »
It’s a good location with a great view across the Goyt Valley.  It will need some investment, but if whoever takes it on has the resources to do that, and can find a really good chef, it could be a success, IMHO.

Agreed! It was a favourite walking destination of ours for a long time. Quality cask ale like Sue and Joe used to keep will be needed as well as the good food.

Look forward to a return as soon as someone makes a go of it and wish them all the best.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »
It’s a good location with a great view across the Goyt Valley.  It will need some investment, but if whoever takes it on has the resources to do that, and can find a really good chef, it could be a success, IMHO.

andrewbowden

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:41:33 PM »
Well after all this time closed, seems whoever owns the Sportsman is looking for someone to take on the lease.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116336114#/?channel=COM_LET

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
They are intending to reopen on Saturday lunchtime. 

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
Their Facebook page says:

"Due to unforeseen circumstances the pub will be temporarily closed until further notice. This is likely to last all of this weekend and possibly into next week. A further update will be made in the coming days. Please note The Sportman is not closed indefinitely, we hope for normal services to resume in a few days."
https://www.facebook.com/thesportsmanpubstrines/?rf=170027443049337

ROTHERS

Strines Nightingale (ex Sportsman Pub)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
sign on the doors saying its closed due to unforseen circumstances.