Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: CCTV Cameras Compstall  (Read 5161 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: CCTV Cameras Compstall
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »
@Andy -

Cuts and especially those to local authorities - so-called austerity - is very much a Tory agenda.  Even though the Tory chair of the Local Government Association, Lord Porter, and now a Tory county council this week threatened with an administrator running their services, it is the Tory government who want less spending by central government.  Not us.

We did achieve many things as a junior partner - raising the tax threshold for the lowest paid and free school meals for infants are 2 that spring to mind.

And Inspector Bob Cantrell came to area committee to announce that after a new Burglary Unit was set up, burglaries in Marple Br have fallen 55% this year  - 25% across the Borough.  But, yes I'd still like to see more police.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
Sigh,

a bit dated but still relevant.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/126132/lib-dems---cctv-doesnt-solve-crime

When you campaign to reverse the Policing and Local Authority cuts that you're lot implemented under the coalition then perhaps I'll listen.

Hi Andy

I understand your point and I (if elected) will be pushing very hard for more Policing in the area we live, especially in visible patrols. The article mentioned dates back to 2007 and technology has moved in leaps since then, as much as anything I feel it's a physical deterrent which could potentially put criminals off.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Please feel free to follow me on Twitter, user name sgribbonlibdems

andy+kirsty

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Sigh,

a bit dated but still relevant.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/126132/lib-dems---cctv-doesnt-solve-crime

When you campaign to reverse the Policing and Local Authority cuts that you're lot implemented under the coalition then perhaps I'll listen.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
The most recent crime figures are from last November:  https://www.police.uk/greater-manchester/JC25/crime/

They show 25 crimes recorded in the Marple Bridge area, which includes Compstall. Six of them were in Compstall itself.

Hard to justify it being a priority for scarce council funding, when other areas have so much more crime. Such as the 158 crimes here:  https://www.police.uk/greater-manchester/JC13/crime/

But as others have said, if the good folk of Compstall want to fund it themselves, then why not. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
If residents are so concerned - would it not be better for them to install their own cameras? 

What about the crime in Marple? will we get cameras as well?

Thanks again for your input Razzle24

I note from an earlier message you stated that in your opinion CCTV is a complete waste of time, so rather than break your anonymity on here I'm sending you a private message to see if you would like to meet and discuss further.

I'm a Marple (North) resident and want extra protection and Policing in all of the area, everybody counts and should I get elected it will be what I shall push for. As a candidate I can listen and see where help can be given but this is a learning curve for me and I am enjoying the opportunity to assist our community.

I hope you reply to my private message.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon 

Razzle24

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
If residents are so concerned - would it not be better for them to install their own cameras? 

What about the crime in Marple? will we get cameras as well?

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
Yes, the crime would have gone somewhere else where there's no camera.  That could be a few streets away, just outside the camera's vision.  It could be miles away.  Someone who is that determined to commit that crime, is going to do it somewhere. No one wants to be a victim of crime.  No one should be.  But the reality is that crime's going to happen unless you blanket cover everywhere with cameras or patrols.  Reality of the world is that there is not enough tax money in this country to have monitored CCTV and regular patrols.  Hence it comes down to cost-benefit.  What's the cost of the CCTV - installation and regular round the clock monitoring - to the police and council, and what's the benefit.

I appreciate that saying this kind of thing doesn't win elections.  Equally though, if residents of Compstall are that concerned about the high level of crime in the area, I'd suggest they look at installing their own domestic cameras.  Cos the chances of getting a council one are zero.

Thanks for your involvement here Andrew. I won't know what the chances are with a Council camera until we work out exactly what is needed and take it forward, fair enough if it turns out you're correct but there's no way I'm not pushing for this as it's got to help give residents some peace of mind.

The point about what individual residents and what they can do is a good one, and part of my speaking to local groups such as the Community Council will be to look at where neighbourhood watch schemes can be instigated and/or improved upon.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:54 PM »
Very few used the little bus ,

Given how infrequently the 303, 304 and 305 ran, this is not particularly surprising.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
Thanks for your input Razzle24

To offer an example of why residents are concerned, a person recently had their vehicle stripped using socket sets after their external lighting was cut. The thieves worked through the night quietly until they got all they wanted. Potentially a patrol may have seen and disturbed them but as there wasn't one they could work away. If a camera was installed and clearly indicated, maybe they would have gone elsewhere from our area? 

Yes, the crime would have gone somewhere else where there's no camera.  That could be a few streets away, just outside the camera's vision.  It could be miles away.  Someone who is that determined to commit that crime, is going to do it somewhere. No one wants to be a victim of crime.  No one should be.  But the reality is that crime's going to happen unless you blanket cover everywhere with cameras or patrols.  Reality of the world is that there is not enough tax money in this country to have monitored CCTV and regular patrols.  Hence it comes down to cost-benefit.  What's the cost of the CCTV - installation and regular round the clock monitoring - to the police and council, and what's the benefit.

I appreciate that saying this kind of thing doesn't win elections.  Equally though, if residents of Compstall are that concerned about the high level of crime in the area, I'd suggest they look at installing their own domestic cameras.  Cos the chances of getting a council one are zero.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
I think this a complete waste of public money! Compstall is hardly a ‘hotbed’ of crime!!
What about fighting for the ‘little bus’ that used to take the elderly to and from Marple - that has recently been axed! This is a service that has left many elderly isolated.
Very few used the little bus ,

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
I think this a complete waste of public money! Compstall is hardly a ‘hotbed’ of crime!!
What about fighting for the ‘little bus’ that used to take the elderly to and from Marple - that has recently been axed! This is a service that has left many elderly isolated.

Thanks for your input Razzle24

To offer an example of why residents are concerned, a person recently had their vehicle stripped using socket sets after their external lighting was cut. The thieves worked through the night quietly until they got all they wanted. Potentially a patrol may have seen and disturbed them but as there wasn't one they could work away. If a camera was installed and clearly indicated, maybe they would have gone elsewhere from our area?
Finance/costings have yet to be fixed and as it states this is an update to say what is happening. I agree other areas (the cancelled bus is a great example) need assistance but it would be neglectful of me if I didn't try and help a community where I have been asked to look into a matter. I hope this reply helps.

I'm happy to discuss further (and privately) should you wish?

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon.   

Razzle24

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
Hello site members

Further to this topic, please see the link for an update on the CCTV request.

I welcome any comments, queries and questions.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems Councillor Candidate 2018

andrewbowden

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »
Tongue in check but also serious - when has public perception being completely wrong when compared to facts ever stopped things from carrying on regardless?

Well quite...

nbt

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »
Tongue in check but also serious - when has public perception being completely wrong when compared to facts ever stopped things from carrying on regardless?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist