Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Park Car Park Charges  (Read 16061 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Park Car Park Charges
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
To avoid ANY doubt, the Stockport Council website lists the Purple Pakora car park as 'Middlers' on this page
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/car-parks/car-parks-in-stockport
(select Find Address and enter 'SK6 7DA' - the Purple Pakora postcode)

Stockport Council also have a map that shows their land and assets
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/stockport-council-land-and-assets-map
Using the same postcode we can see that they own land marked "Brabyns Brow Picnic Area".  Whilst named that, it's clear from the map that the land includes the car park.

So not railway owned.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
That would not surprise me, as there is a well used vehicular access on to the railway track via that land.

gazwhite

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Yes, I agree with that @Harry I was getting my wires crossed, sorry @corium I didn't realise the one at the Pakora was council owned too.

I've been told on a few occasions that the Purple Pakora car park was/is owned by Rail Track/Network Rail/the railways...

corium

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »
Yes, I agree with that @Harry I was getting my wires crossed, sorry @corium I didn't realise the one at the Pakora was council owned too.

Neither did I to be honest, I'd always wondered. I can't recall the current arrangements (I think there are none per se) but if this goes ahead we can probably wave goodbye to the spaces in Brabyns Park being available during the day and without forethought, all the paid for parking space in Marple Bridge suddenly become options for those commuters prepared to pay.

Noting that this arrangement appears to on the drawing board, at least for the moment,  dealing with parking charges in isolation will simply cause knock on issues - there are short lengths of road outside St Martin's church & I think the Purple Pakora with no current restrictions if I recall correctly so those will be parked on which won't help the traffic flow and as for Ley Hall Road etc... People will walk that far to avoid paying. I'm not sure 2 hours minimum will encourage people to "pop" into the Marple Bridge shops.

Yes it would be nice if everyone walked, but I accept large numbers in the community need their car for one reason or another.  Getting around in Marple Bridge always involves climbing a hill at some point and this is a real issue for many.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
I think that is the one they are referring to. The Purple Pakora used to be a restaurant called Midlers (or Middlers, can't remember). They mention it having 90 spaces, which backs up it being that one).

They also refer to a car park as Brabyns Brow, with 71 spaces. That could be the one Mark referred to, next to the Midland.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
Would I be correct in thinking what the council calls the Middlers car park is the one next to the Purple Pakora?

I think that is the one they are referring to. The Purple Pakora used to be a restaurant called Midlers (or Middlers, can't remember). They mention it having 90 spaces, which backs up it being that one).

They also refer to a car park as Brabyns Brow, with 71 spaces. That could be the one Mark referred to, next to the Midland.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »
Would I be correct in thinking what the council calls the Middlers car park is the one next to the Purple Pakora?

I think they are referring to the council one next to the Midland Pub (opposite the entrance to Brabyns Park), which is currently free of charges.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

corium

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Yes, this seems to have crept up on us almost unnoticed @Harry .

I've just come back from Marple Area Committee and councillors were not very happy about the level of consultation and I think there will be further consultation to be done.

You can skip direct to the item via this link at 9mins and 30 seconds in and it runs until just after the 14th minute:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/321571/start_time/570000
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

Park Car Park Charges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
Interesting to see that the council are considering increasing car park charges in the district centres by 150% in order to increase their revenue. i.e. Scrap the one hour 20p charge and increase the two hour charge to 50p.

Also, they are considering charging for parking at Marple station (and others) at both car parks.

Details here http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s126778/Enc%204%20Increase%20in%20Parking%20revenues%20draft%20business%20case.pdf