Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Steve Gribbon: LibDem Candidate for Marple North  (Read 24505 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Steve Gribbon: LibDem Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »

Good morning Forum readers

I have tried to provide an update on activities I have been involved in since I began my campaign last September, and this will be the last one before the local elections take place on May 3rd.

I am very grateful for so many people who have been in contact with me by email, phone, coming round to see me where I live and even dropping notes in at the local Fire Station! I value all of these equally and I believe it is testimony to the work I have put in that so many residents feel they can speak to me about local matters, it has been a pleasure to help where I have been able to so far.

This is a brief overview of issues I have either dealt with or been approached over:

Working with groups both for and against a local planning issue on green belt land;

I am in contact with 3 schools over parking and safety matters;

Putting together a proposal for a pedestrian crossing on Compstall Road and this has now extended to speaking to the Council over having the drains sorted as at present several appear to be blocked;

Contact made with the Council and Stockport homes over a dangerous tree issue

I am still pursuing 2 early projects-CCTV in Compstall and the verge safety issue on Dooley Lane;

I am involved with a working group in creating a local fete in Etherow on May 19th and will be updating progress on this on a separate link

Helping a local business owner with a planning enquiry/concern;

To date examples of work I have been involved in are:

I have Knocked on over 1500 doors in an effort to meet people, phoned over 100 people, written to many edge of the area properties (farms and converted barns as examples) and emailed many more. Whilst others are not keen on doing this I believe it is a fundamental part of being a Councillor, it is doing this project that has got me involved with so many local issues;

Gritted school walks and roads when the area was covered in snow;

Gritted a road and walkway to help elderly residents, and checked on their wellbeing;

Spoke to a primary school about parking consideration and this was promulgated in a newsletter;

Sorted several pathways to be cleared of slip and trip hazards;

Contacted the council over the replacement/reinstatement of grit bins;

Took part in a litter pick up at Brabyns Park;

Organised a litter pick at Cromwell Avenue Park;

Met a resident and contacted the Council on their behalf over a land query;

I have also been to several local group meetings, such as the Compstall residents group, Friends of Memorial park and took part in the Mellor Society AGM and quiz (we didn't win).

Over the next few days I will continue to meet more people and get involved wherever possible.

I am hosting an open day in Marple Town Centre on Saturday from midday to 3pm, please feel free to drop by and say hello.

I am thoroughly enjoying my candidacy and hope that people can see that I am driven and passionate about where we live and will consider voting for me, I am aware I started my campaign early but I am comfortable with this as I believe it shows my care for our community. This is a responsibility I will be proud to take on should I be elected. Councillor Geoff Abell has done a fantastic job for the last 4 years and I am keen to continue in this tradition of looking after the place we live in.

My stance about being respectful to others regardless of party preference or beliefs remain, I will not get involved in negative talk about others, I feel the people voting deserve better and would rather see what candidates are doing as opposed to online squabbling. Recently 2 sites closed down Political content due to online bullying and harrassment, I am proud to say both the Lib Dems and I as a person had no involvement whatsoever in any of this. I have ordered some leaflets about online bullying and will bring them to my open day if they arrive in time.

Thanks for reading this, please be in touch if you have any queries. My email is at the base of this message, and please feel free to follow me on Twitter.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks for both those comments.  Yes, it's not glamorous!  It's largely about the small stuff and the people who need help to make their lives a bit better.  "For the many and the few" sums it up quite well.  Oh, "with less money" too.

chriswallis labour

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
Congratulations Geoff. A fairly thankless task at the best of times, you were an excellent councillor. As was Sue Ingham. I shall be sorry to see her go. Unless she's replaced by me , of course! 

Newbie1

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
Of course, I did realise that before I submitted my job application.  You've done a great job, particulary with saving the bus service
Best wishes

Carolyn

Newbie1

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
Geoff, you are not making this job sound very glamorous!

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
This is really for Geoff Abell just to say that I'm sorry to have missed your last meeting Geoff, unfortunately it clashed with the birthday party of an old friend in Cyprus, but I've been to a number of recent meetings and I've gained a good idea of what's involved. And of course I can always catch up on the Webcast, so I won't be badly briefed.

No worries @Chris Wallis   Hope the party went well - we're allowed a life outside politics!  Incidentally, I notice that the forest of signs around your house has just been trumped by those in "Fortress Dowling" - good job @Kevin Dowling for getting so many signs onto 1 property!  As @Steve Gribbon says, he's done most of ours, although they're a little bit more distributed across Marple North.   I think it's a sign of a healthy democracy that so many people are still happy to use their land to display posters for all parties.

I have been lucky enough to be a councillor for 4 years, and had an extra insight into the way council decisions were taken and I hope I've shared that with you, dear reader.   A few people (like Chris) told me yesterday that they've watched the Marple Area Cmte webcast.  I am pleasantly surprised.   But for the majority who didn't, I'd like to share with you the 3 bits of casework that stood out.  Please excuse me for being self-indulgent for once. 

1) First case - lady rang to say I need a nursery place but have no computer.  "I'll type it for you now", I said.  2 mins, job done.
2) In spite of my interest in trains and cycling, my biggest influence was saving a reduced 394 bus service, a lifeline for some.  Of course, I did not do this alone and I give particular thanks to a Labour Hattersley cllr, officers at TfGM and Derbyshire CC, and the campaign of @marplerambler   We can do none of this by ourselves, even if we politicians shout about it a bit louder.
3) Finally in Jan of 2016 when the snows came down and Marple was gridlocked, I got on my bike and cycled across ice-sheets on Dan Bank (v carefully) to find lorries stuck on the ice and gritting lorries stuck in the queues.  Helping free that felt good, although if I'd broken anything getting there, I'd not be so happy now!

I will miss all this.  Thanks for reading!

chriswallis labour

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2018, 12:21:09 AM »
This is really for Geoff Abell just to say that I'm sorry to have missed your last meeting Geoff, unfortunately it clashed with the birthday party of an old friend in Cyprus, but I've been to a number of recent meetings and I've gained a good idea of what's involved. And of course I can always catch up on the Webcast, so I won't be badly briefed.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
Apologies @Carolyn Leather - I can't see your questions on your thread or here.  If I as a councillor can answer, please ask them again.

Newbie1

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for being the only candidate who attended tonight's (and my last) Marple Area Cmte.  Given it was such a good evening, I appreciate you giving up your time.  (And I really did not know you were coming.)  I also know other candidates have attended in the past, but this was the last one before the election.  Important to pick up on issues such as the Hibbert Lane roundabout - now the recommendation is for a table arrangement.  And, whatever happens, we will have 2 new cllrs for the next meeting.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks Geoff

I was surprised I was the only candidate to attend, I wanted to make sure I had as much info as possible to take forward (if I get elected).
It was a good meeting and as always tbere was something new to pick up on and learn from.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
And once again thanks to residents for your support for me over the last 4 years.  It seems to be a theme in the last month: cllrs cannot do this job alone.  We need fellow cllrs of all colours, dedicated officers and resident/volunteers to help us do the job properly.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for being the only candidate who attended tonight's (and my last) Marple Area Cmte.  Given it was such a good evening, I appreciate you giving up your time.  (And I really did not know you were coming.)  I also know other candidates have attended in the past, but this was the last one before the election.  Important to pick up on issues such as the Hibbert Lane roundabout - now the recommendation is for a table arrangement.  And, whatever happens, we will have 2 new cllrs for the next meeting.

Cheers,
Geoff

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »

Good morning

Recently I posted a message on several sites inviting people to come and say hello in Marple town centre this coming weekend.

The excellent Marple festival of sport is taking place and I believe this takes priority so I have decided to change the date to the following weekend, so it will now be Saturday 28th April from midday until approximately 3pm.

If you are in the area please stop by and say hello, feel free to ask any questions and hopefully you can get to know me a little better if we haven't met before.

If you are in the area then please come over, I will be delighted to meet you. Should you need me or wish to discuss anything in the meantime my contact details are on the foot of this page.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Steve,
Appreciate your efforts highlighting issues in the area, but what is the point of more yellow lines and parking restrictions when there is no enforcement out of hours. Just look at the parking any evening at the top end of Stockport Road opposite the Navigation PH connected with the numerous restaurants/takeaways.

Hello Randonneur

Thanks for your message. The double yellow lines are an agreed part of the development and when speaking to residents they have for it to be chased up and that's what I've done, I'm grateful for Kenny Blair updating me on this. I haven't been advised of this (Navigation Pub) situation previously so please allow me to look into it?

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon.

Randonneur

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Steve,
Appreciate your efforts highlighting issues in the area, but what is the point of more yellow lines and parking restrictions when there is no enforcement out of hours. Just look at the parking any evening at the top end of Stockport Road opposite the Navigation PH connected with the numerous restaurants/takeaways.