Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2018?  (Read 13898 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2018?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
A post made in this thread yesterday has been investigated following a complaint and found to breach the forum's guidelines.

This post received a number of responses before the issue was identified. Unfortunately, although many of the subsequent posts were legitimate and well intended, it has been impossible to filter them out in a satisfactory way as they were all influenced by the offending post. As a consequence, this post and all subsequent posts referring directly or indirectly to it have been moved to an Admin area of the board that is not visible to normal visitors.

We apologise to the users who made legitimate and well intended responses in this thread. If you would like to discuss this please use the Personal Message system.

As the original purpose of this thread was to introduce the candidates and that has been achieved, this thread will remain locked.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »
Marple North Conservative Campaigner @JohnBates has introduced Conservative Candidate for Marple North Hannah Sneddon:

Hannah Sneddon: Conservative Candidate Marple North
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
Independent candidate for Marple North Kevin Dowling has posted his manifesto in this thread today:

Kevin Dowling: Independent Candidate for Marple North
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 06:00:24 AM »
Spotted a snippet that suggests there is now a Conservative candidate for Marple North called Hannah Sneddon.

Haven't seen any proper announcements though.

Could @CllrKennyBlair  @TomDowseMarpleSouth @yvonnecollier  or Marple North Campaigner @JohnBates  let Hannah know that there is an opportunity to introduce herself here.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Out of interest, anyone heard anything about a Tory candidate for Marple North?  Not my ward, but presumably they're putting up someone? 

I have asked the question and been told that there isn't one yet, although there is a "Campaigner for Marple North". Not sure how that works without a candidate.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
Out of interest, anyone heard anything about a Tory candidate for Marple North?  Not my ward, but presumably they're putting up someone? 

Although if they're not, at least there will be some competition in the election - remember one election in the 1990s in Tameside where there was just one candidate on the ballot paper!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »
Green Party Candidate for Marple North @Carolyn Leather has recently posted an introduction about herself in this thread:

Carolyn Leather:  Green Party Candidate Marple North

Carolyn has been a registered forum member since 2015 and we look forward to her contributions now that she has stepped up as a candidate in the local elections.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
Given the significant savings in running costs that are achieved in a new building, that sounds like a bargain.   

My Son George goes to the school, and he loves it. His teachers have been excellent right through his school life and the facilities are second to none (in my opinion). There are parking issues like around most schools (hopefully being sorted very soon) but in reflection of the costs and ability to educate it is a great place to go to.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Dave

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Given the significant savings in running costs that are achieved in a new building, that sounds like a bargain.   

andrewbowden

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »
Further to my post below, yes proceeds from the sale of the two school sites, the Dale and Peacefield, were ring-fenced for Education capital projects in the Borough. Yes pupils from both schools  were transferred to Rose Hill and yes capital from the same budget was used to extend and improve Rose Hill.
Just to repeat again, if there is a particular concern on capital issue at another school where the boiler was mentioned, please get in touch and I'll see if I can help.

Extend and improve Rose Hill is a bit of an understatement really :) 

For those not aware, the old buildings were demolished and a new one built.  Looking through the forum archives (as I never knew the school pre-merger, and didn't live in the area at the time) it cost around £5m.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
Further to my post below, yes proceeds from the sale of the two school sites, the Dale and Peacefield, were ring-fenced for Education capital projects in the Borough. Yes pupils from both schools  were transferred to Rose Hill and yes capital from the same budget was used to extend and improve Rose Hill.
Just to repeat again, if there is a particular concern on capital issue at another school where the boiler was mentioned, please get in touch and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks very much for your help with both replies Malcolm.

Kind regards

Steve

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
Steve has asked me to look into this further and I've put the question to the Council officers. I think any cash raised from such sales has to be ring-fenced for education spend, but I'm not certain. That assumes the council own the land, which is not the case with every one of our schools. I also think, but am checking, that the proceeds from the Dale school sale went into improving and expanding Rose Hill, which took most of the pupils. Also bear in mind, if land is sold this way, there will be new income generated from Council tax on houses, plus cash raised separately from things like water rates. Quite soon, Council tax will be the only source of income for councils due to Government legislation.
To help with the earlier parts of this stream, the money spent on the road projects in Stockport centre is funded by Central Government after a successful bid for funds from a national pool, by Stockport. This doesn't affect local spending.
We are currently working on potential improvements to Marple Centre and the Neighbourhood Plan team are involving residents as best we can. Some cash has been set aside for this, not a huge amount but it is a live project.
If there is an issue with a boiler at a school please do let me know. I'm not aware of this and I try to stay in touch with all our ward schools. I'm working on about four issues with them at present. I meet the Head of Education monthly and am on the Scrutiny Committee for schools and can raise any issues which get stuck.  Schools can themselves raise significant issues of spend shortfall on capital work like this through the Governors. In Marple North, we have an extremely competent group of Heads and good Boards of Governors who run our schools very well in my view. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »
Hi Admin

I'm hoping that an answer regarding this will be available asap, I have emailed people regarding the issue so will push further for an answer. I agree it is a good and valid point.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
Can you please advise what has been done with the income generated from the sale of the land in Marple to developers?(Peacefield, Dale and the Ridge). I haven’t seen any regeneration or investment in Marple. The Marple Plan is a good idea - how will you make this a reality as opposed to a discussion point?

That's a really good question, I missed it myself over Christmas so thanks for bumping up @Harry

The income generated from the sale of the Hibbert Lane College site (which I assume is what @Razzle24 meant by the Ridge) went to the college itself and they invested in improvements to the Buxton Lane site. The Sports Hall being the most obvious of those. I've no idea of the sums involved though or if they have spent it all.

But the proceeds from selling Peacefield and the Dale I would be very interested to know too.

As regarding the development land you mentioned, please allow me to find out and I shall speak to you as soon as I have something. I hope this is ok for you.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

@Steve Gribbon did you make any progress trying to find out?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website