A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2018?  (Read 13906 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2018?
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
I haven't seen any response from this question, but I think I now the answer.

According to a MEN article, at https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/stockport-traffic-bus-station-work-14179574, Stockport Council are spending £1bn on improvements to the town centre, Brinnington and the SEMMS relief road. Obviously that would leave little or no finance available for the district centres, such as Marple, and would explain why schools are being denied cash for essentials such as a new boiler.

It may be interesting to hear the views of our candidates on this topic, even though its probably far too late to change anything.

Hello Harry

I have just been in touch with Councillor Geoff Abell over this so please bear with us whilst an answer is obtained, I will message as soon as one is received. In the meantime on the subject of boilers for schools, is there an in issue in Marple where essential work is needed? This is something that needs looking at as a matter of urgency so any information would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Please feel free to follow me on Twitter, user name sgribbonlibdems

Harry

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 04:51:38 PM »

Can you please advise what has been done with the income generated from the sale of the land in Marple to developers?(Peacefield, Dale and the Ridge). I haven’t seen any regeneration or investment in Marple.

I haven't seen any response from this question, but I think I now the answer.

According to a MEN article, at https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/stockport-traffic-bus-station-work-14179574, Stockport Council are spending £1bn on improvements to the town centre, Brinnington and the SEMMS relief road. Obviously that would leave little or no finance available for the district centres, such as Marple, and would explain why schools are being denied cash for essentials such as a new boiler.

It may be interesting to hear the views of our candidates on this topic, even though its probably far too late to change anything.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
Geoff - re MAC website, that link doesn't wrok, for some reason.
@chriswallis labour - It's new and I think the name changed slightly -
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/marpleareacommittee

Will we see you at future meetings?

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »
Yes I agree that this survey from Andy Burnham's office is useful. It will inform decisions at a Greater Manchester level. In real terms the funding from central government is about to be cut, so an increased level of funding for policing would have to be paid for by an increase in council tax (see survey for details).

Two quotes from Labour's 2017 General Election manifesto:

"On Theresa May’s watch, police numbers have been cut by 20,000. Cuts to the police force endanger communities and endanger police officers too. Labour’s approach to policing crime will be different."

"Labour will recruit 10,000 more police officers to work on community beats, equivalent to at least one more for every neighbourhood in the country."

Hi Chris, thanks for your input on link I placed on here earlier.

I appreciate that it has come from Andy Burnham, but my interest in posting it was more about making sure the people of our area had the chance to put across their views. This was done so the residents of Marple were kept informed of such a survey, and reflecting on my post it also demonstrates that I am capable of making my own choices of what is good for our area, I would not have held this back because of the political group who initiated it.

The local issues are key to me and I have no intention of that changing. As residents of Marple North I am sure we can agree on this!

Kind regards, and all the best for 2018.

Steve Gribbon

ChrisGleeson

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
Hello Razzle24

With regards to your Police question, I have just filled in a questionnaire on Policing where we live. I think if as many as us as possible filled it in it would be a good indication of our view of the level of protection/support we receive. Perhaps we could all have a look at it?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PoliceSurveyGM

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Yes I agree that this survey from Andy Burnham's office is useful. It will inform decisions at a Greater Manchester level. In real terms the funding from central government is about to be cut, so an increased level of funding for policing would have to be paid for by an increase in council tax (see survey for details).

Two quotes from Labour's 2017 General Election manifesto:

"On Theresa May’s watch, police numbers have been cut by 20,000. Cuts to the police force endanger communities and endanger police officers too. Labour’s approach to policing crime will be different."

"Labour will recruit 10,000 more police officers to work on community beats, equivalent to at least one more for every neighbourhood in the country."

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
Does this mean that you will be pushing for more police on the streets of Marple?

Hello Razzle24

With regards to your Police question, I have just filled in a questionnaire on Policing where we live. I think if as many as us as possible filled it in it would be a good indication of our view of the level of protection/support we receive. Perhaps we could all have a look at it?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PoliceSurveyGM

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »
That's great news, I'm happy to have been able to help.

All the best for New Year to you and your family

Kind regards

Steve

amazon

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
Thanks for your messages Amazon and Razzle24.

Amazon-I have sent an email to the appropriate department at the council asking for this to be looked at and actioned accordingly. There is a 10 day turnaround so when I have a reply I will message you.

Razzle24-I am in 100% agreement that we need an increase in Policing in Marple. One criminal act in our area is one too many, I will be pushing as much as possible for an increase, especially in visible Policing for our reassurance and protection. My introduction about myself on this site covers this area (Mark in admin, can you place a link here please?).
As regarding the development land you mentioned, please allow me to find out and I shall speak to you as soon as I have something. I hope this is ok for you.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
        Thank you now done this morning .all the best for the new year .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
Thanks for your messages Amazon and Razzle24.

Amazon-I have sent an email to the appropriate department at the council asking for this to be looked at and actioned accordingly. There is a 10 day turnaround so when I have a reply I will message you.

Razzle24-I am in 100% agreement that we need an increase in Policing in Marple. One criminal act in our area is one too many, I will be pushing as much as possible for an increase, especially in visible Policing for our reassurance and protection. My introduction about myself on this site covers this area (Mark in admin, can you place a link here please?).

Link here (added by Howard)

As regarding the development land you mentioned, please allow me to find out and I shall speak to you as soon as I have something. I hope this is ok for you.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Razzle24

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »

I firmly believe that 'seen to be doing' is more than instigating or supporting a policy from the Town Hall, it can also be the smaller things that can help the area we live in.

Does this mean that you will be pushing for more police on the streets of Marple?
Can you please advise what has been done with the income generated from the sale of the land in Marple to developers?(Peacefield, Dale and the Ridge). I haven’t seen any regeneration or investment in Marple. The Marple Plan is a good idea - how will you make this a reality as opposed to a discussion point?

amazon

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »
Hello again Simone

I'm hoping I can clarify the issue on the leaves sweeping, as I believe it is worth a mention. I spoke to the Councillor in question and it was done to uncover the double yellow lines which the day before had been parked on (due to the leaves covering the lines) and created a hazard. After he swept them no cars were parking there. Personally I do think this is a good use of time as it removed an issue/risk, and is something which I would have no problem in doing myself, be it as a candidate Councillor as I am now or a full Councillor should I be elected.

A shop was unfortunately recently burgled in our area and I have been in today to see how the shopworkers are and to ask if any help could be given. I firmly believe that 'seen to be doing' is more than instigating or supporting a policy from the Town Hall, it can also be the smaller things that can help the area we live in.

I hope this helps with your concern over the time spent carrying out activities. My offer previously to you of meeting still stands, and I hope you decide to do so.

With kind regards

Steve Gribbon 

while we are on leaves the cobbled path lower fold park has still not been swept. in places its thick with leaves a slipy ;suposed to be down for sweeping   every year .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
I was walking down Station Road last week and I saw a local councillor ( I won't name him)physically sweeping leaves up. Is that the most productive use of a local councillor's time?       

Hello again Simone

I'm hoping I can clarify the issue on the leaves sweeping, as I believe it is worth a mention. I spoke to the Councillor in question and it was done to uncover the double yellow lines which the day before had been parked on (due to the leaves covering the lines) and created a hazard. After he swept them no cars were parking there. Personally I do think this is a good use of time as it removed an issue/risk, and is something which I would have no problem in doing myself, be it as a candidate Councillor as I am now or a full Councillor should I be elected.

A shop was unfortunately recently burgled in our area and I have been in today to see how the shopworkers are and to ask if any help could be given. I firmly believe that 'seen to be doing' is more than instigating or supporting a policy from the Town Hall, it can also be the smaller things that can help the area we live in.

I hope this helps with your concern over the time spent carrying out activities. My offer previously to you of meeting still stands, and I hope you decide to do so.

With kind regards

Steve Gribbon 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Liberal Democrat Candidate for Marple South and High Lane Colin Macalister has recently posted an introduction about himself in this thread:

Colin Macalister: LibDem candidate for Marple South and High Lane

Welcome to the Marple Website Forum Colin, we look forward to your contributions.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »

Fixed - the www was missing, it doesn't seem to work without that. http://www.stockport.gov.uk/mac
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

chriswallis labour

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »