Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111164 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
It's obviously hard to know for sure, but Parkfield Avenue doesn't feel like it would be worse an entrance for vehicular access than equivalent access at some other leisure centres.  Avondale shares its grounds with a school and is up a narrow, heavily car lined street for example.  The entrance to the car park at Romiley isn't great.  Nor getting to the current pool car park for that matter.

Not saying it couldn't be better, but there's examples with a similar layout.

marpleexile

« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »
I’m not actually being negative.
I would love a new pool and all the facilities that are proposed and I did say that option 3 looks best.
However, I think the access/egress for all needs to be safe and it would nice to know if this is being taken into consideration (which I’m sure it will be).

I agree that Parkfield Avenue seems an odd entrance. If they were linking through the car park next to the fire station it would make more sense, but taking it out onto Station Road seems an odd choice as there isn't much room at that junction to significantly change it - other than just slapping in some traffic lights, which would have their own knock-on problems.

Lily

« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
I’m not actually being negative.
I would love a new pool and all the facilities that are proposed and I did say that option 3 looks best.
However, I think the access/egress for all needs to be safe and it would nice to know if this is being taken into consideration (which I’m sure it will be).

amazon

« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
Although option 3 looks the best I do feel for the residents on Parkfield Avenue and how busy the avenue and junction with the A626 will become.
Will they put parking restrictions on Parkfield Avenue?
The A626 is a busy, and at times fast, road and the nearby junction with Hollins Lane will add to the difficulties.
Do they propose a safe crossing place for pedestrians on the A626? It can be very difficult, at the best of times, to cross this road and the pavements on both sides are rather narrow.
I’d like to point out that I’m not being a NIMBY as I don’t live anywhere near this junction (or know anyone who lives round there) but regularly cross the road lower down, near the entrance to the Memorial Park, when out on my walks.
we havent got that far yet stop being negative

Lily

« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
Although option 3 looks the best I do feel for the residents on Parkfield Avenue and how busy the avenue and junction with the A626 will become.
Will they put parking restrictions on Parkfield Avenue?
The A626 is a busy, and at times fast, road and the nearby junction with Hollins Lane will add to the difficulties.
Do they propose a safe crossing place for pedestrians on the A626? It can be very difficult, at the best of times, to cross this road and the pavements on both sides are rather narrow.
I’d like to point out that I’m not being a NIMBY as I don’t live anywhere near this junction (or know anyone who lives round there) but regularly cross the road lower down, near the entrance to the Memorial Park, when out on my walks.

amazon

« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2020, 02:13:30 PM »
I've been involved in quite a bit of discussion on this Dave (representing Friends of the Park) and I think that's wrong - we (residents) are specifically being asked which option we prefer. I think rather than cost, it will be negotiations with the NHS and / or the Senior Citizens that determines if option 3 is adopted. My personal view is that it is very important to tell them that if we're going to do this at all, let's do it properly and go all out for Option 3 - we won't get another chance and both the Senior Citizens Hall and the Clinic buildings are way past their best. It would be a missed opportunity to leave them as they are.
Option 3 looks best was just going to ask today any news swimming pool .you beat me to it .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
I suspect we residents are not actually being invited to choose an option - the Council will decide which option to adopt, largely on the grounds of cost.

I've been involved in quite a bit of discussion on this Dave (representing Friends of the Park) and I think that's wrong - we (residents) are specifically being asked which option we prefer. I think rather than cost, it will be negotiations with the NHS and / or the Senior Citizens that determines if option 3 is adopted. My personal view is that it is very important to tell them that if we're going to do this at all, let's do it properly and go all out for Option 3 - we won't get another chance and both the Senior Citizens Hall and the Clinic buildings are way past their best. It would be a missed opportunity to leave them as they are.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Mark.

This looks like a great scheme. As others have said, option 3 looks best, but then that's obvious.  I suspect we residents are not actually being invited to choose an option - the Council will decide which option to adopt, largely on the grounds of cost.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.

It is very exciting to finally see some investment in Marple. The Town Hall administration have clearly listened as all three proposals look good.

For me, if we are going to change things we may as well use it as an opportunity to go the whole hog with version 3 as I doubt we'll get the opportunity to do something like this again. I particularly like the idea of moving the entrance road to the A626 and pedestrianising Memorial Park Drive as it would further reduce traffic flow through the district centre. 

The 4 lanes is a bit of a disappointment, but at least they'll be the international standard 25 meters!

andrewbowden

« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
Exciting stuff!  Shame it will only be a four lane pool, but it looks like there's being good ambition.  Option 3 could really improve the ambience of the area, as well as diverting traffic from the town centre - definitely a good thing!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:54 AM »
HAVE YOUR SAY... On initial plans for a new Leisure and Community Hub in Marple

Stockport Council is consulting with residents until 4 January 2021

At last you can have your say on initial plans for a new Leisure and Community Hub in Marple!

Stockport Council and GT3 Architects are consulting with residents until 4 January 2021 on a replacement for Marple Library, Marple Pool and maybe more.

See the full story here:

https://www.marple.website/community-projects/marple-community-hub.html

This video is a great explanation of the plans and options:

Here are the plans and options in pdf format:

https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/policy-performance-and-reform/marple-leisure-and-community-hub-phase-2-public-en/user_uploads/19018-gt3-marple-leisure-and-community-hub---public-engagement-december-2020.pdf

Have your say here:

https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/policy-performance-and-reform/marple-leisure-and-community-hub-phase-2-public-en/

Here are outline plans of the 3 options:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
In fact, some Stockport facilities have reopened. They are:
Life Leisure Stockport Sports Village (Woodley)
Life Leisure Houldsworth Village (Reddish)

Ah well, Stockport Sports Village is directly owned by Life Leisure, not the council.  And whilst I am not 100% sure, I think Holdsworth Village is similar.  Hence Life Leisure had their own incentive to get them open again!

Obviously they operate them with the council facilities as one normally

Howard

« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
New Mills gym is open but the pool is closed for repair work until September.  Tameside and Trafford have opened their pools and gyms, as have most of Manchester's.  Cheshire East pools are still shut but they have an opening date.  Community owned facilities in Hathersage, Withington and Bollington have all reopened.

Stockport is unusual in still being closed AND having no reopening date.

N.b. to be clear, I make no comment on the likelihood of a new pool.  Just that I do not believe the existing building will ever reopen.

In fact, some Stockport facilities have reopened. They are:
Life Leisure Stockport Sports Village (Woodley)
Life Leisure Houldsworth Village (Reddish)

On the rest of your post, I can't argue with your thoughts. It would be a waste of money to do anything with the current facility.

andrewbowden

« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2020, 05:23:21 PM »
Not many any ware else have opened as yet dont think new mills is open .plans are a foot for a new one in the park still waiting for consultation docs to be published .

New Mills gym is open but the pool is closed for repair work until September.  Tameside and Trafford have opened their pools and gyms, as have most of Manchester's.  Cheshire East pools are still shut but they have an opening date.  Community owned facilities in Hathersage, Withington and Bollington have all reopened.

Stockport is unusual in still being closed AND having no reopening date.

N.b. to be clear, I make no comment on the likelihood of a new pool.  Just that I do not believe the existing building will ever reopen.

amazon

« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »
Going to make a prediction and leave it here.

Prediction: Life Leisure Marple will not reopen following Covid 19.

Logic: pool is closed.  Gym roof has issues.  Not enough space to keep people distant (short of putting all the gym equipment in the empty pool).  Building likely to not be financially viable.

Side note: So far none of Stockport owned leisure centres have reopened and so far no reopening date has been given.
Not many any ware else have opened as yet dont think new mills is open .plans are a foot for a new one in the park still waiting for consultation docs to be published .