Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 112492 times)

nbt

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
The buses that currently serve the site are not particularly frequent, but then there's only one bus an hour to new mils at the moment and that's the pool that my wife is currently using

The college site is just over half a mile walk from the bus stops on Stockport Road - that distance is not exactly insurmountable and the buses there are much more frequent.

Memorial Park though would be a much better idea
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

PhilB

« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
As they state in the last update :
The range of facilities which might be incorporated
The scope for incorporating a range of additional community facilities with the leisure offer

The only logical location is in Memorial Park and to knock down the current community facilities ( library / senior citizens  / health centre / scouts...) obviously not the main type II listed building !!

Marple Memorial Park is at the heart of the local community, housing the library, health centre and other public buildings.

andrewbowden

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
what transport links are there .

The college site is a short walk off Hibbert Lane.  Hibbert Lane is served by the hourly 375 bus (Mellor to Stockport via Stepping Hill), Monday to Saturday.  It is also served by the 394 (Glossop to Stepping Hill) that runs every two hours Monday to Friday.

amazon

« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
That seems a quite logical and sensible option to me.
what transport links are there .

amazon

« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
Would have been ok were Asda was suposed to be going .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
Why not come to an arrangement with the college over use of facilities and build it there. There are the transport links, space for carparking etc etc and it could compliment the college's sports provision.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andy+kirsty

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
1000 16 to 19 year olds manage it each day.

Transport Links!..... Windlehurst and/or Stockport Road. Nice to see you retain a sense of humour/optimism  :-\

jimblob

« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
As I've said before, the council do have the land, they own the old Peacefield playing field. The only access to this is through the college, next to the large sports hall.

Why not come to an arrangement with the college over use of facilities and build it there. There are the transport links, space for carparking etc etc and it could compliment the college's sports provision.

Andy
Transport Links!..... Windlehurst and/or Stockport Road. Nice to see you retain a sense of humour/optimism  :-\

andy+kirsty

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
As I've said before, the council do have the land, they own the old Peacefield playing field. The only access to this is through the college, next to the large sports hall.

Andy

jimblob

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2019, 04:05:49 PM »
Case in point.  New pool going to be built next to Hyde leisure pool.  Six lane, 25m pool.
Save the money and put it towards better transport links to a larger and better pool in Hyde. We'll wait 5 years + and IF there's a decision to build a pool in Marple it'll be the size of a duck pond and probably have to accommodate them as well when they're evicted from Etherow park.

andrewbowden

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »
I t will take a longish time you cant just build something some were even if a site is found .

Case in point.  New pool going to be built next to Hyde leisure pool.  Six lane, 25m pool.

They have the plans.  They have the site.  They have the money.

They do not have the contractors.

The first was Carillion.  Who went bust.  So they reprocured.  Only for the second contractor to pull out recently
https://tamesidereporter.com/2019/01/second-contractor-pulls-out-of-hyde-pool-extension-project/

A new pool for Marple is going to take years even if it all goes smoothly.

Belly

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
I'd say a year to decide that you probably might want to build something, somewhere does not smack of a great deal of urgency or give me a huge amount of confidence that a new pool is likley to be available anytime soon!

amazon

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »
Please just get on with it SMBC. Over a year now, just to decide that the old pool cannot be repaired. How long to find a site, design the building, get planning, raise funds and then build it.

This should be a priority, but it really doesn’t feel like it.
I t will take a longish time you cant just build something some were even if a site is found .

Belly

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Please just get on with it SMBC. Over a year now, just to decide that the old pool cannot be repaired. How long to find a site, design the building, get planning, raise funds and then build it.

This should be a priority, but it really doesn’t feel like it.

jimblob

« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
Marple Medical Practice also has a location that is not great, as there is no dependable parking.  Maybe they would be interested in being part of the rebuilding project, so they can get a better location.

I thought the plan was that we'd all cycle and walk in the future... no cars allowed in Marple!