Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111147 times)

ringi

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2019, 07:18:59 PM »
Marple Medical Practice also has a location that is not great, as there is no dependable parking.  Maybe they would be interested in being part of the rebuilding project, so they can get a better location.

Blackfryers

« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »
Any new pool should not be considered in isolation, but designed as an integrated community facility that can also upgrade the sub-optimal range of community buildings in Marple, particularly in Memorial Park, plus other uses perhaps including the theatre. The Neighbourhood Forum - has been working on this for a year or so, but we need the Council to recognise that just replacing the pool would be a lost opportunity.

amazon

« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »
The following statement has now been published on the Life Leisure site for Marple Pool:

Updated Statement on Marple Pool: 31st January 2019

The swimming pool at Marple has been temporarily closed since March 2018 due to problems with the pool fabric and filtration system.  These [problems] meant that it was not safe for the public to continue to use the pool.  The gym has remained open.

Relevant surveys were commissioned and these indicated that the site required investment of £2.7m in the next 2 years to address a series of urgent and priority condition issues.  After consultation with local Councillors, a decision was made not to seek the investment required immediately whilst the Council looked into whether it would be more cost effective in the long term to provide a replacement facility.

Since summer 2018, the Council has been carrying out initial feasibility work to develop options for providing a modern, fit for purpose, leisure facility with pool in Marple.  This has been considering:
  •     Potential sites for a new facility
  •     The range of facilities which might be incorporated
  •     The scope for incorporating a range of additional community facilities with the leisure offer
  •     Funding options for a new facility
This phase of work will be completed shortly.

The Council has now taken a decision to proceed with a more detailed piece of work to develop a concept design for a new facility.

The Council will form a proposal from this work, which will be discussed with the local community. There will be further regular written updates.

In the meantime, any queries on the project can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk
Couple of years maybe .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »
The following statement has now been published on the Life Leisure site for Marple Pool:

Updated Statement on Marple Pool: 31st January 2019

The swimming pool at Marple has been temporarily closed since March 2018 due to problems with the pool fabric and filtration system.  These [problems] meant that it was not safe for the public to continue to use the pool.  The gym has remained open.

Relevant surveys were commissioned and these indicated that the site required investment of £2.7m in the next 2 years to address a series of urgent and priority condition issues.  After consultation with local Councillors, a decision was made not to seek the investment required immediately whilst the Council looked into whether it would be more cost effective in the long term to provide a replacement facility.

Since summer 2018, the Council has been carrying out initial feasibility work to develop options for providing a modern, fit for purpose, leisure facility with pool in Marple.  This has been considering:
  •     Potential sites for a new facility
  •     The range of facilities which might be incorporated
  •     The scope for incorporating a range of additional community facilities with the leisure offer
  •     Funding options for a new facility
This phase of work will be completed shortly.

The Council has now taken a decision to proceed with a more detailed piece of work to develop a concept design for a new facility.

The Council will form a proposal from this work, which will be discussed with the local community. There will be further regular written updates.

In the meantime, any queries on the project can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
There was a statement about the pool read out at this evening's Marple Area Committee during Chair's announcements that included a promise of more regular updates.

You should be able to listen to the recording via the link below:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/398337/start_time/142000?force_language_code=en_GB

I would imagine that the text will also appear on the Life Leisure site in the next day or so too:

https://www.lifeleisure.net/our-centres/marple/
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

DLL

« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
I'll back you up / offer support also ..... disgraceful how this has all been dealt with

PhilB

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »
But believe me, if dates are given I will be chasing up on each one regularly.  Dates being missed are not acceptable. The communication on this is appalling

Totally agree..

andrewbowden

« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
I've emailed Peter Ashworth, who @PhilB communicated with before, and he has advised that there will be an updated statement published by the end of the week latest.

Funnily enough I also got the same message from him.  I will wait with baited breath.

But believe me, if dates are given I will be chasing up on each one regularly.  Dates being missed are not acceptable. The communication on this is appalling and I for one am getting fed up and angry about this.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »
I've emailed Peter Ashworth, who @PhilB communicated with before, and he has advised that there will be an updated statement published by the end of the week latest.

It may possibly be finalised in time for it to be read out at tomorrow night's Area Committee meeting.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

PhilB

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »
I think the real fight will be against the 'objecters' when the council's proposal is to be build a new facility on a different site in Marple.

andrewbowden

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »
In a few weeks time it will be nearly a year since the pool closed its doors and for be the silence is deafening, both from our council and from our elected representatives. And I am beginning to worry that they just want us to go away and forget about this stuff. And that if we want our pool back, we are going to have to make noise.  And a lot of it.

So I have a question.  Are you ready to fight? 

andy+kirsty

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:41 AM »
Thanks Mark and Phil for the update.

It is good to see that it hasn’t been forgotten.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
If my memory serves I think January was pencilled in as the date by which the pool should be opened.

Any news on this? The email updates have dried up and you get the sense the Council are just treading water until someone pulls the plug.

Andy

January was mentioned as a "no earlier than" date in the first public statement but that was superseded in October with this:

Marple Pool has been temporarily closed since 13th March 2018 due to problems with the pool filtration systems and pool fabric.

The Council is continuing the work on the feasibility of providing new leisure and community facilities in Marple following temporary closure of the pool earlier this year.

This work is looking at how we can develop new multi-purpose facilities which will meet the current and future needs of the residents of Marple. It includes assessing the scale of need, the demand in the local area, the costs and the viability of any new provision, based on modern facilities.

We are also keen to build a strong partnership with Sport England and Swim England to maximise any funding opportunities.

We recognise and welcome the active local interest in this project and expect to share the first stage of this feasibility work once it is complete later this Autumn. At that stage we will aim to speak to relevant interest groups and other stakeholders during November to guide us towards a further update by the end of the year.

They are clearly running behind that with their feasibility study and speaking to relevant groups and stakeholder during November and we are due an update. @PhilB seems to have obtained a current holding statment.

The studies they are doing include the possibility of using the "built" area in Marple Memorial Park to create a brand new community / leisure centre. This was explained during public question time at Marple Area Committee back in November. You can watch this back via this link:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/381827/start_time/201000

This would be a massive project in terms of both cost and logistics and could be why it is taking longer than expected.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

PhilB

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
I asked the question a couple of weeks ago.....

A lot of work is taking place behind the scenes at the moment on this project.  We are still very much at the feasibility stage and don’t have any firm plans to share at this point.

I know the lack of tangible information is really frustrating for users of the pool and local residents, but please be assured that we are working hard to get some solutions together before we go through the decision making process about future leisure provision in Marple.

As soon as we have some further information, we will let you know.

Best Wishes

Peter

Peter Ashworth
Head of Culture & Leisure
Stockport Council

andy+kirsty

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
If my memory serves I think January was pencilled in as the date by which the pool should be opened.

Any news on this? The email updates have dried up and you get the sense the Council are just treading water until someone pulls the plug.

Andy