Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111165 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
No point in going for a swim in Marple for two months according to Life Leisure.  From an email today:

Stockport Council is undertaking a programme of works across its leisure estate to address priority works that have been identified as being required.

A programme of works has been identified as being required at lifeLEISURE Marple to ensure that it remains operational and complies with up to date regulations. It was anticipated that these works would take place later in 2018 and would have required a period of planned closure.

Unfortunately surveying undertaken in advance of the works being programmed has revealed that problems with the infrastructure and plant at the site are more urgent than previously considered and it has become necessary to close the pool immediately so remedial works can commence on site.

It is anticipated that the period of closure will be at least two months. The gym and changing facilities continue to be open as normal.

As soon as we have more detail of the programme from the maintenance contractors we will provide an update. In the meantime, customers are welcome to use alternative lifeLEISURE swimming facilities. The nearest sites to Marple are at lifeLEISURE Romiley and lifeLEISURE Hazel Grove.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we will endeavour to keep you updated with progress.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
Closed again!

From the Life Leisure website

The swimming pool at Marple Pool is closed until further notice due to an unplanned maintenance issue which has arisen. The Council and Life Leisure are working with appropriate contractors to resolve this issue as soon as possible. The gym and changing rooms are open as usual.  Customers can use alternative Life Leisure swimming facilities at Romiley during the closure period.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we will endeavour to keep you updated with progress.

marveld

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Hang on, is it not 25m long? Does this mean I have to give back all my badges?!

Alison

Blimey - you probably do!!  ;) lol

I achieved my Gold Swimming badge (I never did my Honours) and 800 metres (never got round to doing the 1500), but as I recall the additional distance was factored into the swim. I swam for my badges circa 1974.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
Indeed, the need to do an extra length every 10 is a little frustrating, but i can live with it.

Yes the pool is a little bit shabby, but importatly it is still there and, I for one, am very thankful for that. The guys there have also helped two of my daughters learn to swim, which is fantastic for somewhere right on my doorstep. Its a vital community facililty and it deserves as much support from the community as we can give it.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

andrewbowden

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Alison

It's 25 yards long I believe - that's 22.86m. Basically to do the equivalent of 10 lengths you'd do in a "normal" pool, you need to do 11 in Marple.

alison

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
With a little work, it might even be possible to extend the pool to a full 25m and I'm sure it could be widened a little because the side of the pool is rather wide.

Alison

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »
Genuinely impressed with the research of @andrewbowden  !  I admit the rare times I swim (outdoor activity more my thing) I go to Romiley as the cleanest and best run.  Or Hyde.

Howard

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
Of course it's not likely to happen any time soon.  Nor is - if we're honest - there going to be a new pool built any time.  For starters, where would it even be able to go?  (Delivery office site!)

The only places it cuold go and still be reasonably central are playing fields which would mean The Rec, Hawk Green common, Marple Cricket Club or Marple Hall School. Otherwise you're looking at a green field site or land from Memorial or Brabyns Park.

Let's face it, none of those options would ever get through local campaigners.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
That was part of the FUD from Marple Inaction. Their premise was that for some reason the current pool would have to be demolished to create a roundabout.

It was always nonsense, but it worked. A significant number of Marple residents (my parents included) genuinely believed that an ASDA on Hibbert Lane would mean the end of Marple baths.
it wasent going there it was going on part of the land were they are building .

marpleexile

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
There was talk if Asda came to the ridge but of coarse it was stoped by Marple in action they would build another smaller one on the site of were the Houses are now going .it does seem as though its all back firing now more traffic as well they were also going to allter the road layout ....

That was part of the FUD from Marple Inaction. Their premise was that for some reason the current pool would have to be demolished to create a roundabout.

It was always nonsense, but it worked. A significant number of Marple residents (my parents included) genuinely believed that an ASDA on Hibbert Lane would mean the end of Marple baths.

andrewbowden

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
A lot could be done with some internal restructuring - re-build the changing rooms, re-jigg things about a bit.  Just, frankly, gut the place, and use the space available more creatively.  With a little work, it might even be possible to extend the pool to a full 25m and I'm sure it could be widened a little because the side of the pool is rather wide.

Of course it's not likely to happen any time soon.  Nor is - if we're honest - there going to be a new pool built any time.  For starters, where would it even be able to go?  (Delivery office site!)

amazon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
Seems to me that it is long overdue that this disgraceful facility was demolished and a new one built.
There was talk if Asda came to the ridge but of coarse it was stoped by Marple in action they would build another smaller one on the site of were the Houses are now going .it does seem as though its all back firing now more traffic as well they were also going to allter the road layout ....

mikes

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
Seems to me that it is long overdue that this disgraceful facility was demolished and a new one built.

wheels

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
The changing rooms are indeed dreadful even very basic things like the lockers still operate on the old £1 coin havent been addressed.

andrewbowden

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »
Have to say that I tend to find Stockport's leisure facilities to be in a bit of a sad state compared to other boroughs.  With the exception of Denton Pool (which is going to be replaced), Tameside's facilities (for example) are in much better nick with far nicer changing facilities and overall experience.   Not just Tameside, but similar situation in facilities I have used in various London boroughs, Fife, Merthyr Tydfil and Cumbria (hey, I like swimming..)

Certain lockers have been broken in Marple for the entire of the 18 months I've been using the pool, the changing rooms are terrible, and the roof has been known to leak.  The flumes being broken at Grand Central for so long is just tragic.  Avondale has problems with water temperature and broken lockers.  Indeed the only local pool that I've visited and that I can't say anything too negative about is Romiley. 

It feels like there's an air of decay about them all.  I am glad that some work is being done, but it does feel like there's a of of basics that no one seems to want to sort out.  For example the fact that I was told at Grand Central that the lockers "will never be upgraded" to take the new pound coins because it was "too expensive" (direct quotes from the member of staff on reception.)  I was told it would cost £7,000 which in the grand scheme of things is not that much when you consider what the monthly running costs of the place must be.

I do appreciate money is tight.  Council budgets have suffered enormously.  But equally I do hope the council as a whole keeps in mind the recent abrupt closures of both Marple and Grand Central due to equipment failure of equipment that was due to be replaced...  I suspect there's a learning in there somewhere.