Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Linked Events

• Northumberland Arms Public Meeting: February 28, 2017
  • Northumberland Arms Share Offer Public Meeting: July 01, 2017
  • Northumberland Arms Share Offer Closes: September 30, 2017
  • Table Top Sale at Northumberland Arms: November 25, 2017
  • Northumberland Arms Community Pub Reopens: December 16, 2017

Author Topic: Northumberland Arms at Risk!  (Read 31782 times)

Hoffnung

Re: Northumberland Arms at Risk!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
Being listed as a community asset in itself does nothing. In fact it often works against rescue attempts by strengthening the resolve of the seller inasmuch as they become determined not to sell it to the group that made the application in the first place, thus delaying their own intentions. There is also nothing in the act that compels the vendor to sell the asset to the applicants. That is, even if, the applicants can raise the necessary capital required to buy and run the business. We have had community assets in Marple in the past.
In fact if my memory serves me correctly, one of the pubs on Glossop Rd/Lane ends was on the register and the project just sank without trace.  I know that this particular project  caused some 'irritation' at high level within Robinson's brewery. What community assets often do is give people false hope when probably no hope is a better alternative.

Sometimes pubs just run their natural course particularly in these times of many other distractions.

Nevertheless, I like the 'Thumb' and I wish the group ...Good Luck.

Staying on the subject of Marple pubs, I understand that the Landlord of The Bull's Head has given his notice. I don't really go in it myself but does anybody know what's happening with that?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
Sign now up development potential , any one know whats going on with the buy out that was going to happen .

I've merged your query with the existing thread @amazon you will see below there's a link to their web site and there was a public meeting on Tuesday. They haven't updated their news yet but I imagine they will soon.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Sign now up development potential , any one know whats going on with the buy out that was going to happen .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Looks like the Northumberland Arms Community Group are making good progress:

http://www.thenorthumberlandarms.co.uk/

Next public meeting: 7pm on Tuesday 28 th Feb 2017 at the Jubilee Methodist Hall (next door to The Thumb)

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
That's good news Malcolm - thanks for that. I'll drop by for a leaflet next time I'm passing. We don't live that close to it, but we pop in from time to time and it would be a shame to lose such a great little pub.  Whatever happens, Geoff and Margaret will be missed.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »
There is a small group working to save the Pub, supported by a large group of regulars - around 200 signed a petition just before Christmas that went to Robinson's, the brewery who own the pub. The group now has a meeting being lined up with the Robinson family, and in this group we have some good expertise including someone from the Brewery Estate business, a commercial accountant, a surveyor, along with myself to help if I can. The lovely tenants, Margaret and Geoff, retire this month but are being wonderful, supporting, hoping their hard work in creating a great local pub won't be lost. They have done a huge amount running community activities over the years. This is what helped to get the pub "ACV" status but, as is said below, this only buys time if Robinson's decide to sell the property. The group have been in touch with CAMRA for advice and there are a number of options that we want to put to the brewery. If anyone wants to add their support, the best way is to call in the pub and pick up a leaflet. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
I see the application to list the 'Thumb' as an asset of community value was approved - good news, but of course it's only the beginning.

Does anyone know what (if anything) is happening now?

That's right, I was pleasantly surprised. I know that Cllr @Malcolm Allan knows quite a bit about this, so I wonder if he could give us an update please?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
I see the application to list the 'Thumb' as an asset of community value was approved - good news, but of course it's only the beginning.

Does anyone know what (if anything) is happening now?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »
The nomination for the Northumberland Arms to become an Asset of Community Value is up for consideration at Marple Area Committee on 14th December.

Looks like the recommendation by officers is to refuse. Shame!

Item 12. http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=8976&EVT=101&DT=A
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
It is indeed an excellent pub. It would be a shame to see it go.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
Plenty of people frequent the 'Thumb'.   We don't live close to it, but we do call in there sometimes, and it's often quite busy.  I agree, the Thumb is a great little pub and it would be very sad day if it closed. 

marpleexile

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »

This is a wonderful little pub and would be a sad loss. If you agree, please call in and sign the petition.

Missing the point a bit there I think Admin. If people agree, they need to call in and drink.

Robbies won't want to close a viable business, and if they do, any subsquent community action stands a much better chance if it actually is a community asset that people frequent, rather than just a nostalgic memory they don't want to lose.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Northumberland Arms at Risk!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
I've just heard that the Northumberland Arms pub is at risk of closure - I'm told that present landlords Margaret and Geoff are leaving and Robbies are not advertising for new tennants.

There is apparently a petition in the pub to turn it into an asset of community value.

This is a wonderful little pub and would be a sad loss. If you agree, please call in and sign the petition.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website