Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: The Devvy  (Read 31757 times)

barndoor

Re: The Devvy
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
A couple of friends called in for Sunday lunch today. They're in the habit of meeting up once every three weeks or so and trying a different pub restaurant in the locality, and in the last few months they've been to: Hare & Hounds (all three); The Oddfellows; Ring o'Bells; The Midland; Norfolk Arms; Spring Gardens; and now The Devy. Their feedback was effusive: 'excellent quality', 'service was second to none', 'good portion sizes', 'the best we've had'.

So reading between the lines I think they were impressed.

Mrs barndoor and I were so buoyed along by their enthusiasm that we're going to pay a visit ourselves and see what the fuss is all about. I'll report back.

Rachael

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »
We called in for lunch today, it was excellent.   

wheels

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
I went up a couple of weeks ago for their Friday "Catch of the day" special. The food and service was outstanding.

Barbara

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
Had lunch there today and it was very nice.  Be prepared for largish portions - I thought I was having a 'light bite' but it was large and had chips too. 

corium

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »
I've been told the management team changed yet again a few weeks ago and that there has been a positive improvement since. I can't vouch for any of this personally and won't be dashing up there quickly but thought I would pass this on.

corium

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
I understand that there is now new management at the Devvy, replacing the people who have been running it since it reopened in June. Also a new chef (another one!).  So let's hope they can move on from the problems of the last three months.

I'm sorry to report they haven't, at least as yet. There has been at least one random "food unavailable"  lunchtime since the changeover and when I went in for a meal though some things were ok, the quality of others was pretty dire and way below the standard of their rivals both up & down Longhurst Lane. Other than the fact I'm local to it there was little to induce me to go in again either  as an eater or a drinker unless I start hearing an awful lot of positive feedback. Such a pity but having been in several times now I'm not seeing any reason to part with my hard earned cash any longer.

Dave

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
I understand that there is now new management at the Devvy, replacing the people who have been running it since it reopened in June. Also a new chef (another one!).  So let's hope they can move on from the problems of the last three months. 

amazon

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
Why? Care to elaborate??
YESFood poor service Poor no chef .

Cyberman

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
Glad you were lucky quite a few i know wont go again .
Why? Care to elaborate??

amazon

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
Strolled up there last night & thought I would share experiences.

Inside is unrecognisable, it's really opened out & quite airy. It was pretty full, in part I think there has been some sort of party there (Wedding)  since the afternoon, the down side of this (which didn't affect me) was that they were't serving food unless you had reserved in advance. Possibly because of the event but the demographics had completely changed, I would estimate the vast majority there as being early 30s. There were still some teething problems but this was with the tills rather than anything else. Usual Robbies range of beers but where the Oak normally has Cumbrian Way or a seasonal beer, they had Trooper which was a plus point for me.

So looks as though a promising beginning but I'd be interested to see how it is doing on a wet Saturday evening in November
Glad you were lucky quite a few i know wont go again .

corium

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
Strolled up there last night & thought I would share experiences.

Inside is unrecognisable, it's really opened out & quite airy. It was pretty full, in part I think there has been some sort of party there (Wedding)  since the afternoon, the down side of this (which didn't affect me) was that they were't serving food unless you had reserved in advance. Possibly because of the event but the demographics had completely changed, I would estimate the vast majority there as being early 30s. There were still some teething problems but this was with the tills rather than anything else. Usual Robbies range of beers but where the Oak normally has Cumbrian Way or a seasonal beer, they had Trooper which was a plus point for me.

So looks as though a promising beginning but I'd be interested to see how it is doing on a wet Saturday evening in November

Dave

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
It's early days for the Devonshire Arms, and it's only two weeks since it re-opened. The pub seems to have been quite busy, particularly at weekends (the good weather has helped, of course). But things are not all going smoothly.

I was involved in organising an event in Mellor last weekend. A few of the people involved said they might want to have a meal at the Devvy during their break, around 5.30 - 6.30 pm. I had popped in the previous day to check that this would be OK, and that they would be serving food at that time. 'No problem. said the barman. I asked if it was necessary to book, and he had a look at the bookings list and said no, although he added that booking is always a good idea.

On the day, about eight of our people people went to eat there, in ones and twos. It was quite busy but not full.  A couple of them were able to have a meal, three or four others were told they could only have chips, and at least one was refused any food at all.  I was very embarrassed, of course, because I had passed on the information that they would be able to eat and didn't need to book.

Then the other day some friends of ours who live in Longhurst Lane received a flier through the door welcoming them to the refurbished Devonshire Arms, and advertising food service until 9 pm every evening. Good idea, they thought, and they walked up to the pub last Tuesday, arriving about 8.20. They ordered drinks at the bar and asked for the menu. 'Sorry, we've stopped serving food now' was the reply.   Needless to say they were very cross, and they won't be going to the Devvy again any time soon.

It's early days, and I'm sure these 'teething troubles' can be ironed out.  Part of the problem could be the young and (probably) inexperienced staff, who need more supportive and pro-active management. 

Condate

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
The website is there now, but it doesn't have a menu. I tried the gammon, egg, pineapple and chips today and it's very good. My wife tried the bangers and mash and tells me that's nice too.

Condate

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
Rather bizarrely, the Robinsons website https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/devonshirearms still shows the pub as being closed (or it did at the time I posted this.) It is very definitely open.

Condate

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
You can do amazing pub food and still do steaks, pies and fish and chips!  You just do really good ones, rather than stuff that's come in frozen.

Looking forward now to a visit to Mellor to check it out!

I haven't tried the steaks or pie, but the fish & chips is excellent. The interior of the pub is indeed unrecognisable from what was there before. I actually liked it as it was, but as it is now is also very nice. I am slightly surprised how many staff there seem to be. They will need an awful lot of customers to support that many, but from what I've seen so far, they probably will be full most of the time.